Riot after Chinese teachers try to stop pupils cheating

Srinivas_K

Country flag
That is an invalid assertion; as invalid as stating that raping is an art mastered by Indians, and that India has a monopoly on raping.

Academic misconduct is something found everywhere.

This incident, however, is truly deplorable - from every angle. The gaokao is one of China's few fair arbiters in an exceedingly unfair society.
There is a rape for every 3 hours in China going by CCP fake stats, in Reality China is on par with India in this issue.

Secondly Child rape is not a crime in China, since Laws are like that.

But Copying and faking is rampant in China.

nimo_cn

Country flag
There is a rape for every 3 hours in China going by CCP fake stats, in Reality China is on par with India in this issue.

Secondly Child rape is not a crime in China, since Laws are like that.

But Copying and faking is rampant in China.
In reality, India is the worst place for female. No coutry could be on par with India in this issue.

Child rape is deemed a serious form of crime in China, one CPC official was just given a death penalty after being convicted of child raping.

I like the way Indian posters generalize about Chinese over individual cases. I remembered the days when i was posting about rapes in India, Indian posters asked me not to judge India from individual news reports, suggesting that it's unfair.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

t_co

Again !! wrong here... there are more rapes in western countries than in India... We in India have the guts to acknowledge that openly and open to send them to gallows...

Very true !! so nothing to bother ...
Precisely - you cannot generalize about "Chinese" from one incident like this, nor can you say only China has people who commit academic misconduct.

Ergo, your initial assertion is false.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Personal experience ???????? :rofl:
If everyone has to speak from personal experience, most of Indian posters may have to shut up over topics related to China.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
In reality, India is the worst place for female. No coutry could be on par with India in this issue.

Child rape is deemed a serious form of crime in China, one CPC official was just given a death penalty after being convicted of child raping.

I like the way Indian posters generalize about Chinese over individual cases. I remembered the days when i was posting about rapes in India, Indian posters asked me not to judge India from individual news reports, suggesting that it's unfair.

Stop acting like saints

No seriously, 50% of Chinese men have sexually assaulted their partners

Shanghaiist recently released a story highlighting the findings of a report that found that around 50 percent of Chinese men admit to sexually assaulting* their partners. Our story was met with a lot of hostility and skepticism by several commenters who alleged that we were spreading "more propaganda against Asian males" (never mind that the survey was carried out by Chinese researchers) and that the findings were "a hatchet job at best".

Personally, we think such a reaction is uninformed at best and sexist ignorance at worst.

Around the world, rape and sexual assault are a reality that women face on a daily basis. In the United States, one in five women are sexually assaulted, according to the New York Times. Globally, the trend is even more marked. A WHO multi-country study found that between 15-71 percent of women aged 15-49 years reported physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner at some point in their lives.

This is some serious shit.

In this global context, the figures on China are alarming but (depressingly) consistent with established trends of endemic sexual violence. We're not trying to say that you shouldn't be skeptical of statistics you see. Skepticism is good, and this case maybe even merited. Some of the findings our original piece was based on were presented at a UN panel and contained interviews with over 2,000 men, but full paper is not available online. Nonetheless, the findings, which correlate with previous studies by Chinese and international researchers, deserve actual investigation and questioning instead of derisive dismissal from the all-male cast of disbelieving commenters who weighed in on our previous article.

Finally, much of the pushback against the original post seemed to be based on a misconception of what the reality of rape is. While rape is a violent crime for sure, it differs from say mugging in that people are very rarely mugged by their friends or lovers. According to RAINN, an American non-profit, 73 percent of sexual assaults in the US are carried out by someone known to the victim, 28 percent of rapes are by an intimate partner. China currently has no laws against marital rape, and inter-relationship sexual assault is likely a major contributor to the findings we highlighted.

In publishing our original post, and this follow up, we are not seeking to demonise Chinese men. Rape and domestic violence are prevalent in almost all countries, where China differs however is in its lack of protection for victims and punishment for perpetrators. Even India, the site of several recent horrific gang rapes has stronger domestic violence legislation than China (though it still has a long, long way to go). Domestic violence is a serious issue in China, but one that the government has long dragged its heals on and shown little inclination to deal with.

*The terminology in the survey was 'forcing a partner into sex', which is clearly sexual assault in our book and anyone who thinks otherwise is being wilfully obtuse.
No seriously, 50% of Chinese men have sexually assaulted their partners: Shanghaiist
Two Men Raped Six Little Girls In China Because 'Child Rape Isn't Rape'

Last Tuesday, six little girls from an elementary school in Wanning city, an island province of Hainan, went missing after their sixth grade class. Local police found four of the girls on Wednesday and the other two on Thursday where it was discovered they had been taken to a hotel room by the principal from their elementary school and a public official. At first, local newspapers reported that these little girls had many bruises on their bodies, including vaginal trauma and evidence that they had been raped. And then the press unanimously changed their stories to say these two men did not take these children to the hotel room overnight, and in two of the cases for two nights, to have sex with them. They were just with six little girls in a hotel room with their parents unaware and panicking about these missing girls for no nefarious reasons. The newspapers also stopped using the word "rape" when discussing this case.

From International Business Times:

Having sex with anyone under the age of 14 was considered rape in China, consent or not, but the law was changed in 1997. Under this new law, with consent, even if a girl is under 14, the perpetrator may be allowed to go free as long as he claims not to know the girl is under 14. If, in addition, money is involved in the transaction, the perpetrator is usually prosecuted for "patronizing a prostitute," which usually carries a sentence of five to 15 years in jail, instead of the far more serious crime of rape.

Only when a girl does not consent to sex is the perpetrator considered a rapist, a crime punishable by death in China. This is in sharp contrast with laws in most countries, where sex with someone under the age of consent is considered rape with or without consent, with the understanding that before that age, a child is not capable of legally giving consent.

The principal has been fired and the children are undergoing counseling, but there is no word on whether the men will face criminal charges for the actual rape. You don't take six little girls to a hotel room and have them come home with vaginal trauma and then get to deny you raped them, just because China has some horrific law that enables you to do so.

There are a few petitions online asking the government to amend this law, but in the cases of these six girls it is obviously too late, and too late for other children who have fallen prey to rape and have had their rapists plead to lesser charges or to say they had no idea the victims where under the age of 14 or that the children were prostitutes. I know China is a long way from us and it seems impossible to make our voices heard in regard to this, but this child rape case makes me think that something drastic has to be done in order to protect children from falling prey to this ridiculous law. Those poor girls.

Read more: Child Rape China Is Protected By A Loophole Involving Consent

The chinese official may have executed but the loop hole in the law remains the same.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well I have said many times before, cheating is the Chinese way so that is no suprise. I am actually glad the government is actually doing something to crack down on it, but they must realise this a societal epidemic you will find in every part of China. They must do this for all gaokao so people know that cheating will no longer be tolerated. It is probably the easiest thing they can do to raise quality of learning because now it is quite low.

t_co

@Armand2REP

"Cheating is the Chinese way"

Please prove this assertion.

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
Precisely - you cannot generalize about "Chinese" from one incident like this, nor can you say only China has people who commit academic misconduct.

Ergo, your initial assertion is false.
Cheating is epidemic in China a well known fact... all knows it...

"Cheating is Chinese way of Life"...

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This gives insight about Chinese resolve and desperation to copy and cheat.

The message to rest of the world is that if you do not allow Chinese to copy they will anything riot, run war, allegation, counter allegation, steal, sneak, spy, anything.

t_co

I am just holding a mirror for you to look at your ugly face.. you were the same people who generalized all Indian by a single rape incident in Hong Kong... now enjoy...
Bose, I was not one of the people who generalized that all Indian people were rapists off the Chungking Mansions incident.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
From the OP,
"We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."
@t_co , @amoy
As Chinese members (who should be able to think like an avg. Chinese or at least understand the Chinese POV), why do you think such a statement was made.
I mean that statement would be ridiculous anywhere on the planet, I'd guess. What was going on in his/her mind. Does it have something to do with the culture, perhaps ?

pmaitra

Plenty of comments on Chinese pupils trying to cheat. Any comments on Chinese teachers trying to stop cheating?

amoy

From the OP,

@t_co , @amoy
As Chinese members (who should be able to think like an avg. Chinese or at least understand the Chinese POV), why do you think such a statement was made.
I mean that statement would be ridiculous anywhere on the planet, I'd guess. What was going on in his/her mind. Does it have something to do with the culture, perhaps ?
I am not sure what "average" Chinese thinking is nor am I able to verify your quoted statement. anyway every indivisual is supposed to be accountable for wat she/he says or does.

when escalating to "culture" Ray sir has pointed out how important EXAMINATION is throughout the history for Chinese to climb up the social ladder, and for the elite class to run the state machine effectively. the emporer was personally engaged in interviewing final-round candidates. in tradtional rural villages "clan halls" were sponsoring poor kids with harvest from "public lands"to study and achieve success and fame by means of "exams" .

by the way some of "side effects" of exam include popularizing Mandarin and Confucius teachings to every corner which were necessitated in order to pass exams.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
University entrance exams
Testing times

AT THE gates of Shanghai Beijiao Middle School on the morning of the gaokao, students thumb their textbooks frantically. The number sitting China's notoriously tough university-entrance exam each year is falling (6,000 fewer students took the exam in Shanghai this year; an effect of the one-child policy). But the atmosphere is as panicked as ever. A makeshift table sells traditional Chinese medicine to soothe nerves. Across China each year counselling hotlines are buzzing. Birth-control pills are administered to female students who fear menstruating on an inopportune day. Last month the Chinese media was ablaze with photos of students hooked to energy-boosting intravenous drips.

More than 9m students sat the gaokao on June 7th and 8th this year. For many, the exam comes as the culmination of months of cramming, years of tutoring and abnegated personal lives.

The notoriously tough National Higher Education Entrance Examination, or gaokao for short, is a milestone for young Chinese people. Since it was established in 1952 (excepting an interruption by the Cultural Revolution) the two-day exam has been meant to elevate those who will benefit most from higher education while allocating places in a way that is fair to all. University admissions departments focus almost exclusively on the gaokao score. The result is colossal pressure on the test-taking students.

At the gates of Shanghai Beijiao, Ms Yu wishes she had made her son Pan Ziren work harder. Though young Mr Pan has been rising at 5.30am and studying until 1am for the past six months, Ms Yu thinks he has wasted his years in school. He was addicted to kung-fu novels, she says. "I'd find him reading with a torch, deep in the night. Maybe it is my fault for going on about the importance of the gaokao. It caused his rebellious attitude."

Though each year more students go to university (the admission rate is up 3% this year) spots at elite institutions are oversubscribed. Less than 0.2% of gaokao takers will get into China's top five universities. Graduate opportunities for students who attend a top university are dramatically different to those who don't, says Jeffrey Lehman, vice-chancellor of New York University's branch campus in Shanghai.

Peng Cheng, an 18-year-old student from Hunan province, has much to lose. "Studying is the only way to get out of my hometown", he says. Mr Peng was one of only three students from his province, which has a population of 65m, selected for a special scheme at Tsinghua University in Beijing. Mr Peng gets an additional 30 points on his gaokao score, as well as guaranteed admission.

Mr Peng's handicap is part of an attempt by the university to redress a greater imbalance in Chinese education. Students sit the gaokao in the place they are registered in the hukou system, which has the effect of putting students from rural areas at a steep disadvantage. Close proximity of a test-taker's registration to an institution raises the chance of admission; it is 16 times easier for a Bejiing student to get a place at Tsinghua than it is for a student from Hunan, where there are few first-rate options. Many urban students are registered in the countryside, so they return to the village for the exam. Last October a group of leading scholars submitted a petition to Wen Jiabao, China's prime minister, calling for the abolishment of the hukou restrictions.

Mr He, a law professor at Tsinghua University and one of the petitioners, sees a further flaw in the gaokao system. It promotes the survival of the fittest, he says, but not of the best. The students are trained exclusively for the studying and answering of test papers. But the majority lack the skills to join in classroom discussion. Independence of thought is subordinated to the demands of rote learning. The students who emerge from this system often find it difficult to make basic social engagement, let alone intellectual collaboration.

This was true for Mr Peng. Because he was star pupil, he was kept away from boys in class who could distract him. He has no friends, he says, and turns to internet cafes to ward off loneliness. But, gaokao score permitting, Mr Peng is now looking forward to his move to the big city. He hopes to find time for a girlfriend, and for other distractions besides. He fell in love with a girl at his high school. "But I knew a relationship would ruin my dream of getting out. So I never told her."

University entrance exams: Testing times | The Economist

I don't remember but somewhere I saw a Youtube series on the Chinese education system from the lowest level to university level.

It appeared to be competitive, taxing and a great strain, not only for the students, but also for the parents.

The important aspect was that only the best would be taken into the CCP and CCP membership was the sole route to making a success of life.

Hence the stress level was indeed immense, especially for the gaokao.

The economic boost education will give and the rapidly changing moral values is what possibly prompts the desire to cheat, because success is too competitive and without success the meaning to life in China is probably lost, and so all means to them appears fair and par for the course.

Just a view.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I am not sure what "average" Chinese thinking is nor am I able to verify your quoted statement. anyway every indivisual is supposed to be accountable for wat she/he says or does.

when escalating to "culture" Ray sir has pointed out how important EXAMINATION is throughout the history for Chinese to climb up the social ladder, and for the elite class to run the state machine effectively. the emporer was personally engaged in interviewing final-round candidates. in tradtional rural villages "clan halls" were sponsoring poor kids with harvest from "public lands"to study and achieve success and fame by means of "exams" .

by the way some of "side effects" of exam include popularizing Mandarin and Confucius teachings to every corner which were necessitated in order to pass exams.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
Firstly, OP means Original Poster. Now as I mentioned before, you'll find that quote in the first post made by the OP. I did not just pull it out of thin air.
Secondly, members of different cultures may behave differently in various situations. And other members of that same culture would better understand them, that is why I asked you and t_co.
Thirdly, it seems odd to me that a student will openly admit to the media that he should be allowed to cheat. And therefore, my initial question: Is cheating in exams so normal in China that the students think it is only fair ?
I understand how important civil service exams were in ancient China. Thank you for the rest of your post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles