Riot after Chinese teachers try to stop pupils cheating

pmaitra

What should have been a hushed scene of 800 Chinese students diligently sitting their university entrance exams erupted into siege warfare after invigilators tried to stop them from cheating.
[HR][/HR]
The relatively small city of Zhongxiang in Hubei province has always performed suspiciously well in China's notoriously tough "gaokao" exams, each year winning a disproportionate number of places at the country's elite universities.
Last year, the city received a slap on the wrist from the province's Education department after it discovered 99 identical papers in one subject. Forty five examiners were "harshly criticised" for allowing cheats to prosper.
So this year, a new pilot scheme was introduced to strictly enforce the rules.
[HR][/HR]
As soon as the exams finished, a mob swarmed into the school in protest.
"I picked up my son at midday [from his exam]. He started crying. I asked him what was up and he said a teacher had frisked his body and taken his mobile phone from his underwear. I was furious and I asked him if he could identify the teacher. I said we should go back and find him," one of the protesting fathers, named as Mr Yin, said to the police later.
By late afternoon, the invigilators were trapped in a set of school offices, as groups of students pelted the windows with rocks. Outside, an angry mob of more than 2,000 people had gathered to vent its rage, smashing cars and chanting: "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."
Source: Riot after Chinese teachers try to stop pupils cheating - Telegraph

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
"I picked up my son at midday [from his exam]. He started crying. I asked him what was up and he said a teacher had frisked his body and taken his mobile phone from his underwear. I was furious and I asked him if he could identify the teacher. I said we should go back and find him,"
Dad of the Year :thumb:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Education has been the bedrock of Chinese society right from the Song Dynasty and the competition has been fierce ever since including to the current time. Those successful became the elite of society.

The examination system to include civil service recruitment was vigorously followed from the time of the Han dynasty. It was however abolished by the Ch'ing dowager empress Tz'u Hsi under pressure from leading Chinese intellectuals.

China historically believed that the State be ruled by people of ability and virtue and they have tried to employ people based on merit than on family or political connection. However, this has not always been successful.

The National Higher Education Entrance Examination or gaokao is said to be a very difficult examination and the competition is fierce and candidates many.

The most sought after tag that opens up the various 'treasures' of Chinese life, society and professions is a membership of the Chinese Communist Party.

And only the best is taken into the CCP.

Therefore, for the Chinese Youth to be clear that it is a hook or by crook proposition to get educated is but a natural corollary, even though the latter is morally reprehensible..

amoy

To cheat or not to cheat tat is a question.

Let there be an "Occupy School" movement!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Tolaha

"I picked up my son at midday [from his exam]. He started crying. I asked him what was up and he said a teacher had frisked his body and taken his mobile phone from his underwear. I was furious and I asked him if he could identify the teacher. I said we should go back and find him," one of the protesting fathers, named as Mr Yin, said to the police later.
I think the father has got a point here. Maybe the intention of him putting a mobile in his kid's underwear was not to promote copying but just for the vibration!

"We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."
The mob is always right.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
This is a big dent on the learning institutions of China. More so, the ceompetencies of Chinese students and professionals come under the scanner, as there could be a bigger malice going on in China - where cheating and getting the degree could be an usual norm (i.e. when stop from cheating - students riot, believing Cheating being their right!)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
To cheat or not to cheat tat is a question.

Let there be an "Occupy School" movement!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
As an informed Chinese, what do you think should be done so that there is no breakdown of law and order and their is harmony?

bose

Country flag
Cheating is an art mastered by Chinese!! No wonder they can copy anything and everything"¦ China has monopoly on cheating"¦

t_co

Cheating is an art mastered by Chinese!! No wonder they can copy anything and everything"¦ China has monopoly on cheating"¦
That is an invalid assertion; as invalid as stating that raping is an art mastered by Indians, and that India has a monopoly on raping.

Academic misconduct is something found everywhere.

This incident, however, is truly deplorable - from every angle. The gaokao is one of China's few fair arbiters in an exceedingly unfair society.

bose

Country flag
That is an invalid assertion; as invalid as stating that raping is an art mastered by Indians, and that India has a monopoly on raping.
Again !! wrong here... there are more rapes in western countries than in India... We in India have the guts to acknowledge that openly and open to send them to gallows...

Academic misconduct is something found everywhere.
Very true !! so nothing to bother ...

This incident, however, is truly deplorable - from every angle. The gaokao is one of China's few fair arbiters in an exceedingly unfair society.

amoy

As an informed Chinese, what do you think should be done so that there is no breakdown of law and order and their is harmony?
Thank u for asking. Since I'd not found any Chinese source for this story I refrained from commenting for not being well informed enough.

Indeed u were spot on in post #7 regarding the importance of "EXAMINATION"
The examination system to include civil service recruitment was vigorously followed from the time of the Han dynasty. It was however abolished by the Ch'ing dowager empress Tz'u Hsi under pressure from leading Chinese intellectuals
Historically in dradonic Qing and Ming there were many cases of death penalty for exam officials involved in cheating, or politics.

In Constitution of the Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Taiwan) "checks and balances" has evolved >>
Dr. Sun also added two branches of government from the legacy of China's imperial past to the three branches of Western governments. The five branches or Yuan (院) are: the Executive Yuan, Legislative Yuan, Judicial Yuan, Examination Yuan, and Control Yuan.
Yuan = Institution, Institute

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles