Rice revolution-astonishing yields achieved by farmers

Country flag
China's leading rice scientist has questioned India's claims of a world record harvest, following a report in last week's Observer of astonishing yields achieved by farmers growing the crop in the state of Bihar.

Professor Yuan Longping, known as the "father of rice", said he doubted whether the Indian government had properly verified young Indian farmer Sumant Kumar's claim that he had produced 22.4 tonnes of rice from one hectare of land in Bihar in 2011.

Yuan, director-general of China's national rice research centre and holder of the previous record of 19.4 tonnes a hectare, asked: "How could the Indian government have confirmed the number after the harvesting was already done?"

The dispute centres on a controversial method of growing rice that is spreading quickly in Asia. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) uses fewer seeds and less water, but seeks to stimulate the roots of young plants, mainly with organic manures. It can work with all kinds of seeds, including GM, and has the effect of getting plants to grow larger, healthier root systems.

Many scientists initially doubted whether yields of this magnitude were possible, but peer-reviewed papers have shown consistent improvements over conventional rice farming methods.

Yuan told the Chinese press after seeing the Observer Food Monthly article: "I introduced the intensification method to China myself. It could increase yields by 10-15% in low-yield fields, but it's not possible for fields that are already producing relatively high yields."

However, Norman Uphoff, professor of agriculture at Cornell University in the US, defended Kumar and the Indian authorities. "The yield measurements for Kumar and other farmers in the Nalanda district of Bihar, which matched or exceeded the previous record, were at first rejected by Indian scientists, who did not believe such results were possible.

"The measurements were made by staking out 10 by 5 metre plots in the centre of one-acre fields, not sampled crop-cuts from small areas. The 50 square metre plots were harvested with hundreds of people watching the cutting, threshing and weighing because everyone anticipated unprecedented yields," he said.

"These results were achieved with hybrid varieties which derive from Yuan's own innovation of hybridising rice, considered for decades by most rice scientists to be impossible."

The measurements were later acknowledged as valid by both the Indian Council for Agricultural Research and the Ministry of Agriculture.

Last week the government of Bihar, where nearly half the population of 100 million live below the poverty line and 93% depend on growing rice and potatoes, endorsed SRI, saying its rice production increased to a record 8.2m tonnes last year, against 3.1m tonnes in 2010-11. "The quantum jump is due to the use of the new SRI technique of rice production," said the finance minister, Sushil Kumar Modi.

SRI, which was developed by a Jesuit priest working in Madagascar in the 1980s, divided scientists when it was first introduced. However, it is now being shown to work with many crops, often in conjunction with organic farming.

Last week a farmer from the village of Sohdih, also in the Nalanda district, claimed to have set a world record for potato-growing using organic/SRI farming. Rakesh Kumar was said by district magistrate Sanjay Kumar Agrawa to have harvested 108.8 tonnes of potatoes per hectare. The harvest, yet to be confirmed by the Indian central authorities, was said to have been verified by experts, scientists and officials.

Amir Kassam, former director of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research's Science Council at the UN's food and agriculture organisation, said that many people still doubt the success of SRI. "I would say to them, 'go to the fields and see the evidence'. There are now close to a million hectares under SRI and that cannot be regarded as a delusion. It is real."

Professor Robert Chambers of the Institute of Development Studies at Sussex University said. "SRI is an astonishing win-win for farmers and the environment. Some scientists have been slow to recognise it, and have even rubbished it in peer-reviewed journals, but its success and spread have been phenomenal."

no smoking

Country flag
The story about this rice production is true.
So, you are the farmer making this record?

Well, I don't take anyone's side. But it is too early to make any judgement.
At least, we have to wait until next year's yields. If they can still get the same achievement, then we can start to talk about the record.

To be notice: they should call the press all around the world, invite foreign journlists to eye witness the whole process from cutting to weighting. This will shut everyone's mouth.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I have always wondered if rice has enough nutrition anyway, to be a diet staple.

amoy

curious abt yr opnions abt transgenetic crops/foods. lots of debates going on

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

satish007

I have always wondered if rice has enough nutrition anyway, to be a diet staple.
too much carbohydrate for you guys, but Japs able to fight to you guys whole month only with 1kg rice.
my favor is 1 bowl of rice with a big piece of steak medium and 20% tips, horse meat free.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
too much carbohydrate for you guys, but Japs able to fight to you guys whole month only with 1kg rice.
my favor is 1 bowl of rice with a big piece of steak medium and 20% tips, horse meat free.
Misusing your luck of being able to use internet and then insulting starved humanity.... in millions

Yes, Japanese were much better than Chinese who fed on Himalayan crows and survived on mule meat... and than ran away...

Last edited:

satish007

Misusing your luck of being able to use internet and then insulting starved humanity.... in millions

Yes, Japanese were much better than Chinese who fed on Himalayan crows and survived on mule meat... and than ran away...
o, sorry you miss-understand me, I only have such steak in US. we chinese like rice ,vegetable and 0 tips.
but yes, I usually run away if enemies are tough.
sorry for starved humanity.
I got to donate some.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
o, sorry you miss-understand me, I only have such steak in US. we chinese like rice ,vegetable and 0 tips.
but yes, I usually run away if enemies are tough.
sorry for starved humanity.
I got to donate some.
I did not mean to hurt you...

But believe it or not, India has walked many good miles since independence and the number of straved ones has reduced drastically inspite of not being under a communist regime...

Majority of them can now have wheat, pulses, rice and vegetables....

donation is not bad if you have to but Chinese have no culture of donations....

vram

Country flag
Wheather this Rice production figure is record breaking or not I do not know.
But a cursory search in the internet reveals that this phenomenon was monitored and studied by some of the most leading scientist and agricultural authorities in INDIA today. Also this was no un-educated farmer reaping magical produce as some stupid news papers have presented. This guy who lead this production was a ery educated farmer who made considered desicions regarding the Rice, planting methods and the seed that were used. No rocket science here. All these conditions where very well studied. Its all in the internet in the open domain. I read through some of these but too lazy to remember and quote them here. You guys can google it up it easy to find.

NOW the MAIN thing. I have all the respect for this Chinese scientist for he has done some awesome field work over there. BUT the question is on what study/ peer review or ground condition analysis has he made these comments. Did he sit in Bihar and study the growing conditions and sowing of crops season like many of the scientist who investigated this claim did????????
When you try to Debunk any scientifically observed phenomenon then world over the standard practise is to come up with some orginal facts that counter claim or completely negate what has been show till now. eg..Like How Copernicus tried to theorize that the SUN and not the Earth was the center of the earth..

Many scientists initially doubted whether yields of this magnitude were possible, but peer-reviewed papers have shown consistent improvements over conventional rice farming methods.

Yuan told the Chinese press after seeing the Observer Food Monthly article: "I introduced the intensification method to China myself. It could increase yields by 10-15% in low-yield fields, but it's not possible for fields that are already producing relatively high yields."
So is the good professor saying that a peer reviewed and hence established yield is now wrong because HE FEELS it cannot be so becuase he was not able to replicate the same in CHINA??

When did Bihar and its atmospheric conditions and soil fertility become same same as China ??:rofl:

ALSO ADDITIONALLY looks like our Dhimmi press was not interested in even reporting accurately on this awesome news... I had to read a proper story about in the British Garudian paper which even sent a correspondent to cover it ...LOL!!

But all of a sudden this has become hot news for desi papers because some scientist has given a counter claim....ahhh hot news for our self defeating and self abusing papers. Who wants to sell a world acknowledged positive news ? bring on the scam , gloom and doom and the next rape case.....
THIS IS THE STATE OF INDIA TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

satish007

I did not mean to hurt you...

But believe it or not, India has walked many good miles since independence and the number of straved ones has reduced drastically inspite of not being under a communist regime...

Majority of them can now have wheat, pulses, rice and vegetables....

donation is not bad if you have to but Chinese have no culture of donations....
unlike other Indian forumers, you are a good Indian.
Indian have enough food, acha kaam, bahuth acha.
BTW,
We donate a lot , 60 years ago, we were so hungry we donate everything to Africa, donate lives to north Korea to save Communist reputation.
now we are also donating something to Pakistan. how dare you say we are not donate country.
HK also chinese, they donate a lot.
I satirized W.G.Ewald by post American style post. you see how wrong he is he even like my post.
Indian chini should bhai bhai , wish no more hunger.
Let work together defeat US and convert them to vegetarian at least forget beef and steak.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
unlike other Indian forumers, you are a good Indian.
Indian have enough food, acha kaam, bahuth acha.
BTW,
We donate a lot , 60 years ago, we were so hungry we donate everything to Africa, donate lives to north Korea to save Communist reputation.
now we are also donating something to Pakistan. how dare you say we are not donate country.
HK also chinese, they donate a lot.
I satirized W.G.Ewald by post American style post. you see how wrong he is he even like my post.
Indian chini should bhai bhai , wish no more hunger.
Let work together defeat US and convert them to vegetarian at least forget beef and steak.
The worst non vegeterrians on earth (the Chinese) who even eat up monkeys can not be good candidates for taking up Vegeterian cuddgles. Indians would like them and the Chinese to be carnivorious so that vegetables are left intact for the Indians. We can import vegetables grown by the Chinese and export monkeys and frogs to China..

China does not donate. They use aid to exploite other countries such as Pakistan and Africa. They are better "Baniyas" than Hindus of India.

satish007

Double post...
morning Bhadra, only 8:30am Indian time and you are already in this forum.
thanks for exporting, yum. bush and wild meat.
anyway, no more war, no more hungry, Indian Chinese bhai bhai.

amoy

The worst non vegeterrians on earth (the Chinese) who even eat up monkeys can not be good candidates for taking up Vegeterian cuddgles. Indians would like them and the Chinese to be carnivorious so that vegetables are left intact for the Indians. We can import vegetables grown by the Chinese and export monkeys and frogs to China..

China does not donate. They use aid to exploite other countries such as Pakistan and Africa. They are better "Baniyas" than Hindus of India.
This thread is abt Agriculture and u're trumpeting Vegetarian and Hindu...:why:

Yes I eat meat - mutton, beef fish (is it considered meat too?) daily, but hate pork. There're Vegie restaurants locally but I can't hold on for a day.

What does it hv to do with "charity"? If those aids for exploitation purpose really save a few lives that's great.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
morning Bhadra, only 8:30am Indian time and you are already in this forum.
thanks for exporting, yum. bush and wild meat.
anyway, no more war, no more hungry, Indian Chinese bhai bhai.
You are welcome sir.
0830 AM in traditional Indian life is day and infact quite late. Normal Indian life commences at 04 30 or 0500 H in the morning.

No more war ...yes. Let us all follow true techings of Gautam Budha and cast aside Voilant ideologies such as Communism and Capitalism.

The Ultimate Indian prayer is "Om Shanti" which means let there be peace.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This thread is abt Agriculture and u're trumpeting Vegetarian and Hindu...:why:

Yes I eat meat - mutton, beef fish (is it considered meat too?) daily, but hate pork. There're Vegie restaurants locally but I can't hold on for a day.

What does it hv to do with "charity"? If those aids for exploitation purpose really save a few lives that's great.
Ha Ha Ha...

Agriculture strictly means earth produces of cearels and vegetables. Agriculture does not cover flowericulture, Fishery, Animal Farming, Horticulture, Sericulture, Polutry, wild life and many other disciplines.

Charity in all forms is exploitation and has an intent behind it. Many a times it is to ensure " Minimum Survival" so that they could be exploited and supluses generated. Theory of "Minimum Wages" is based on this. Humans are basic means of production and those who make profit have to ensure that they are given minmum to survive.

China is no exception to above. Nor is any religion exception to this spirit of charity. Give to people minimum to survive so that they are exploited to produce surplus for a few to enjoy. Do you have any other theory ??

OT : India traditionally had been a high yield producing land before the foreigners destroyed Indian agriculture by high texation (forcing cultuvators to flee) or by introduction of Commercial crops like Indigo which destroyed the quality of land. India is far below than China in use of fertiliser per acrage as also in availability of water (irrigation) per acre average. Attemts are on to improve both and India may surpass China.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles