RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Who cares it exceeds or not ? the RFP is for LPD and the mistral aint one.
Apparently it meets the IN's definition of one, DCNS got an RFP for it.

Its like IN will choose a destroyer for the RFP of frigates cos destroyer exceeds frigates in all parameters.
The line between DDG and FFG is ever changing.

JAISWAL

Govt clears Rs 2170-cr proposal for amphibious assault vessels - Brahmand.com

NEW DELHI (PTI):-Strengthening Indian Navy's operational capabilities, Government has cleared an over Rs 2,170-crore proposal to build eight amphibious assault vessels for the maritime force. The proposal to build eight Landing Craft Utility (LCUs) was cleared in a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) held earlier this week and the vessels would be built by the defence undertaking Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers in Kolkata, sources said here.
The eight new vessels with a displacement of around 500 tonnes will be built and delivered to the Navy in the next three to four years, they said.

The new vessels will be used to replace the
existing fleet of six amphibious boats already in
service, they said.
The LCU is a boat used by amphibious forces to
transport equipment and troops to the shore and
are capable of transporting combat vehicles and
troops from amphibious assault ships to shores.
The Navy's current fleet of LCUs are capable of
carrying 35 armed troops right up to the beach
and land.
..,.............for full article please visit above link

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think minstral is ideal for indian requirement but only problem is that it has to be indianized with barrack lr-sam and indian/israeli radar which might take some time owing to the design changes it involves given the french are willing to accomodate such changes in their original design.also i think both french and indian side must ensure that it does not take the scorpene route.

charlyondfi

i think minstral is ideal for indian requirement but only problem is that it has to be indianized with barrack lr-sam and indian/israeli radar which might take some time owing to the design changes it involves given the french are willing to accomodate such changes in their original design.also i think both french and indian side must ensure that it does not take the scorpene route.
Till yet, is that real cause for Scorpene really identified & agreed between two sides? I don't think so. If not, then how can the mistake be prevented?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Till yet, is that real cause for Scorpene really identified & agreed between two sides? I don't think so. If not, then how can the mistake be prevented?
The problem with Scorpenes is Indian dockyards slow absorption of ToT and MoD not securing equipment prices with initial orders. The mistake can be prevented by bolstering training crews and paying up front before price inflation takes effect by waiting. Indian procurement system needs deep overhauling.

Immanuel

Country flag
The problem with Scorpenes is Indian dockyards slow absorption of ToT and MoD not securing equipment prices with initial orders. The mistake can be prevented by bolstering training crews and paying up front before price inflation takes effect by waiting. Indian procurement system needs deep overhauling.
load of crap...like always...many tot clauses have been violated by the clumsy french. original tot % were not being honored by the french. There was no problem absorbing any tech. we never had any such problem. The delay was always from the french side and offcourse delays from the orginal source always ends up as delay on the final line.

plugwater

DCNS doesn't make Foudre anymore. They specifically said Indian reps showed interest in Mistral.
Any links ?
load of crap...like always...many tot clauses have been violated by the clumsy french. original tot % were not being honored by the french. There was no problem absorbing any tech. we never had any such problem. The delay was always from the french side and offcourse delays from the orginal source always ends up as delay on the final line.
Scorpene delay is due to initial teething problem and absorption of technology.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I too believe that the specifications of the RFI are best suited to the Mistral class LHD, also the Mistral has one more ace up it's sleeve , simply put price. BUCK FOR BUCK there is no other other LHD(or other amphibious support vessel) in the world that comes close to the sheer economy this vessel offers, the per unit cost of a mistral is roughly$600million which is $50million less than that of it's closest competitor the Dokdo class. i would also point out that a San Antonio costs twice as much.

However if a pure LPD is required then i would support a decision to acquire vessels of the British "Albion class" .

Albion class landing platform dock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just for the heck of it! i'm also a fan of the Singapore technologies "endurance class LST/LPD.Though this is a pretty small vessel compared to what we are looking for, i believe a small fleet of such ships could come in handy while transporting relief goods/military supplies to shores surrounded by shallow seas.

Last edited:

plugwater

BR, Russia signed an agreement for 1.7 billion for two ships.

French will surely increase the cost even more for us in the name of transfer of technology.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
BR, Russia signed an agreement for 1.7 billion for two ships.

French will surely increase the cost even more for us in the name of transfer of technology.
You forget Russia gets ToT as well so it would cost no more than their deal. People forget that Dokdo is loaded with Thales equipment and when they offered to Russia, France said not with our kit you don't. It never stands a chance competing against French ships.

plugwater

You forget Russia gets ToT as well so it would cost no more than their deal. People forget that Dokdo is loaded with Thales equipment and when they offered to Russia, France said not with our kit you don't. It never stands a chance competing against French ships.
We ll take another 2 or 3 years to sign the contract so we can definitely see some increase in cost.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
India ask for landing platform dock warships

BAY CLASS..

charlyondfi

We ll take another 2 or 3 years to sign the contract so we can definitely see some increase in cost.
Dear everyone: please help me how to do this algebra: Russia sign US$1.7b for two Mistrals. But India is expecting RS1,600 crore, or US$3.36b, for 4 ships (forgive me NOT to do homework verifying all the numbers, nor the exchange rate -- I simply use those from the first post by plugwater). Then India need to assure France follow that Russia deal unit cost, MUST including ToT. Right?

plugwater

Its 16,000 crore not 1,600.

In Russian deal first two ships which the agreement is signed for 1.7 bill USD will be constructed in Russian shipyards, this includes ToT. Another agreement for 3rd and 4th ships expected to be signed this year end.

In our case total deal is around 16k crore for 4 ships with ToT and will be built in Indian shipyards.

charlyondfi

Its 16,000 crore not 1,600.

In Russian deal first two ships which the agreement is signed for 1.7 bill USD will be constructed in Russian shipyards, this includes ToT. Another agreement for 3rd and 4th ships expected to be signed this year end.

In our case total deal is around 16k crore for 4 ships with ToT and will be built in Indian shipyards.
My mistake & thanks.
Nevertheless, to make that number (16k crore w/ ToT), something need to be sealed, so NO anything running-out, I believe.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles