Revived: plan to give access to bases to US

sorcerer

Country flag
India-US ties based on mutual respect: Obama

"On the most basic level, a good India-US relationship has to be based on the same principles as our successful partnerships with our other close partners and friends around the world," Obama said in an interview to India Today magazine.

"That includes mutual respect, where even as we acknowledge our different histories and traditions, we value the strengths that we each bring to our relationship," he said.

He said: "It includes recognizing our mutual interests that both our countries will be more secure, and our people will have more jobs and opportunities, when we are working together."

The US president said while it was true that progress has not always come as fast as both sides would have liked, "we have succeeded in deepening the US-India relationship across the board".

"In the last few years, we have increased trade between our two countries by about 60 percent, creating more jobs for Indians and Americans," said, adding the militaries of the two countries are conducting more exercises together," he said.

Read more: India-US ties based on mutual respect: Obama - News - Politics - Russian Radio

blueblood

Isnt it the other way around..US needs Logistics support and port call cuz they are far far away from thier land.
I don't think so. They have huge bases in Qatar and Diego Garcia. With some mild push and pull they can have the same in n number of countries, like Kenya, Madagascar etc.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
When was India really Non Aligned. We fully backed Russian adventure in Afghanistan. In every international fora we were anti American.

There is only one interest that is our National Interest- damn to what others might think
Oh, we fully backed "Russian adventure", is it?
Nice. Except, not true.

The Bulletin - Google News Archive Search

Ind did not support the SU in Afghan War, read article above.

As for the Afghan war itself: It is well known that the mujahids were created and funded and armed by the US to cause destabilization at the SU border. The exact parallel is the neo-Nazis and other crazies funded by the US in Ukraine (Russia's border) today.

American graciousness at creating, arming and funding the mujahids has allowed for the creation of an unstable nation/region (that will not be stable for a long time to come) and India can thank america for that.

========================

@civfanatic once told me (paraphrasing) that India will eventually become an american puppet. I guess his words are coming true.
[MOD Edit: Expletive removed.] excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Neo I can confidently guarantee that china will never be able to get
A naval base at Gwadar port. It is my opinion but I know usa military policy
And politics and this will be impossible and costly if Pakistan pursues this path.
Yup, that's true. It will be very difficult for china to project power from a naval base in pakistan, while the US is still around.

Looks like in the future the US will play the same balancing act in S. Asia as it plays in the ME.

Support Israel and at the same time support its arch enemies (saudi, qatar, blah blah).

So support paks and india.

:hmm:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
USA and our corrupt leadership has already been destructive enough with this alliance for more than six decades and you are worried about collateral damage? What is the worse scenario if we allow a Chinese naval base in Gwadar? What can USA do to stop it?
Are you blind or just plain naive.

:hmm:

Have you seen what has happened to a pro-Russian nation called Ukraine ?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
US is already supporting Balichistan seperatists thru covert and clandestine operations, this is common knowledge. Afgjanistan will be absorbed in the Sino-Russian sphere under SCO and will not go against it by aiding USA against Pakistan.
Bakckwater has largely been pulled back in the aftermath of the Raymond Davis affair and the killing of Bin Laden. Their presence peaked under Zardari who issued more than 65.000 unchecked visas to the US citizens including what is believed to be 5000 blackwater agents. Still according to some sources there are almost 2000 blackwater agents operating in the country.

Do you realise that if China officially announced the plans to go for Gwadar naval base, it is no longer US vs Pakistan? Chinese will be involved too against any agression or sabaotage from USA.

@Neo : Chinese are not dumb, they are in fact quite smart and very very patient.
You think they will support Pakistan because pakistan wants to break loose from US grip?
Stop deluding. China wants proper access to ME resources. Now that Russian energy is going to be easy available for China, ME's importance decreases. This is what I think.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
in exchange for the USA-UK to give us diego garica ??
Where is diego garcia ?

In the middle of Indian ocean.

More important for India is ability to exert influence on Malacca Straits (andamans, vietnam etc) and access to Central Asia.

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
subject 1
But we don't access to Diego Garcia. We can reach an agreement with Madagascar or Maldives if we do need some kind of berthing rights. It would be a much easier solution.
We already have a Naval listening station in Madagascar.
India activates first listening post on foreign soil: radars in Madagascar - Indian Express
now i dont want to get into one of those silly arguments
as sometimes happens here - especially with someone i dont yet know

having an additional base in madagas... is fine
but i was more interested in emphasizing the technological aspects of the DG base
rather than the strategic location , although that certainly is important but in the case of DG
its the specialized US technology - they have tremendous underwater tech.

if we are friends enough with the usa eg via quid pro quo they may, as terms of exchange
allow access to their developments ( at least ) some in the DG base - which is state of the art

~subject 2
Interesting development; how's China going to react?
With a mega naval base in Gwadar?
Sounds like an excellent idea. A PLAN mega base next to US base in Qatar. :cowboy:
...yeah that shd be fun

sbject 3
If India become one of the US allied force, then India can access to "NSF Diego Garcia".
NSF= naval support facility
Dude, If India become one of the US allied force, then India can also become the next Pakistan.
i was asking the possibility of quid pro quo ....we give them some limited access to our facilities
and they give us some access to DG.

Has turkey , australia , canada ,Uk etc become like [MOD Edit: Expletive removed.]? :confused:
no they are not ...but neither are they allowed to have a fully independent foreign policy
whatever they do is always under US scrutiny ....eg uk in practicce does not have independent nuke freedom
none of the nations you mention can freely develop nuke arsenal , that job is left to uncle usa.

subject 4
Neo I can confidently guarantee that china will never be able to get
A naval base at Gwadar port. It is my opinion but I know usa military policy
And politics and this will be impossible and costly if Pakistan pursues this path.
Imho a Chinese naval base in Gwadar is inevitable regardless of a possible Indo-US naval deal. Once the Sino-Pak energy corridor is there, Chinese will need to defend it and Pakistan is morr than willing to host.

US has little leverage over Pakistan these days and with the USaid drying up, there's nothing to bribe our corrupt leaders with. The military stablishment is pro China, more than ever and Gwadar will be the final nail in coffin of the socalled Pak-American alliance.

Believe me, even the moderate and envisioned Raheel Shareef would love to show the middle finger to the Americans.
Neo-ji it is not too late at all for pakistan to mend their ways and become a true
friend of the democratic world as led by the usa, even if such leadership is not absolutely perfect.

It is better for pakistan to re-think the sinister alliance with ccp-china and truly turn around, repent
and be a friend of the usa , a real friend ...because i fear Pak is getting deeper and deeper into
something which at a later stage pak will deeply regret , but it may be impossible to get out of

with every passing quarter of a year it becomes increasingly obvious that ccp-pak alliance
is two countries vs the rest of the world ....just look even at this thread - we will have
ccp-pak vs usa, gulf countries plus NATO plus india, japan s korea australia ,israel
egypt and many if not almost all arab countries

and russia is straddling neutral as they too do not trust ccp-china due to far east territories.
the african and south american nations will either be neutral or mildly pro-usa
even the asean nations are very displeased with ccp
none will aid the pak-ccp alliance :frusty:,
not even cuba ( recent events )

so it's going to be ccp-pak vs the rest of the world - please turn around and
instead join us, the democratic world
while it is still relatively possible ? :namaste: ::welcome:

if not , then , :wave:

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
no they haev not ...but neither are they allowed to have a fully independent fooreign policy
whatever they do is always under US scrutiny ....eg uk in practicce does not have independent nuke freedom
none of the nations you mention can freely develop nuke arsenal , that job is left to uncle usa.
Every nation that the US is "friends" with is either a US lackey or ends up in a very bad state.

For eg: Japan was cozying up recently with Russia to increase weight for Japan in case of confrontations with China and also to solve rusi-japanese territorial disputes, better energy security etc.
But on the orders of the US, Japan has (or rather Japanese politicians have), against the interests of Japan, imposed sanctions on Russia and made an enemy out of Russia. These sanctions of course are of no benefit to Japan.

Saddam Hussein, who was initially put in power by the US, decided to do something for his country and make Iraq more self-sufficient. Well, he ended up being hanged by the neck.

Last edited:

PaliwalWarrior

[/B]

What are the chances that joint operations are non mil in nature. like piracy control, drug trafficking or high seas terrorism or natural disasters..IMO, I meant..the word "Urgency " is supposed to refer to Ops which are non military in nature meaning un planned OPs that will require man and resources.

I suppose there will be clarifications on the deals to be penned in coming days.
joint operations in times of urgency

exercise is not urgency
piracy there is a seperate worldwide agreement - not an urgency

this is clever word / back door word for aloowing basing rights

sorcerer

Country flag
joint operations in times of urgency

exercise is not urgency
piracy there is a seperate worldwide agreement - not an urgency

this is clever word / back door word for aloowing basing rights
Guessed as much..
Urgency is loosely defined

sorcerer

Country flag
Sorry ..off the topic but

It is interesting to see US talking to lots of countries , burying the hatchet and trying to find a resolve the long standing issues. Its mostly for economical reasons..
like having a low cost labour and manufacturing hub somewhere near the US Mainland. So far we cannot predict the possiblity of how the dialogues will pan out..but it sure is an interesting development.

The development in Cuba.

U.S. and Cuba Sit Down For Historic Talks on Restoring Ties
The highest-ranking U.S. diplomat to travel to Cuba in nearly 40 years boarded a commercial flight Wednesday morning from Miami — ahead of negotiations to re-establish diplomatic ties between the two countries.
The agreements would ultimately lift trade and economic sanctions after decades of Cold War-era hostilities between the U.S. and Cuba. Both countries are envisioning regularly scheduled commercial flights, banking and credit, mail service and expanded travel, officials have said. The White House also hopes that Cuba will permit Internet companies to create service accessible across the island.

U.S. and Cuba Sit Down For Historic Talks on Restoring Ties - NBC News

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
lmao only a naive idiot would believe this would be good for India.

Its not like we get access to bases in pakistan (lol), afghanistan, taiwan. We have no use or need for other bases. win-win for yankistan and they also get to spy on us.

gulaami karne ka chaska kyu chadra hai kuch logo ko ? besharmo kuch izzat bhi rakho apne desh ka.

Zebra

Country flag
lmao only a naive idiot would believe this would be good for India.

Its not like we get access to bases in pakistan (lol), afghanistan, taiwan. We have no use or need for other bases. win-win for yankistan and they also get to spy on us.

gulaami karne ka chaska kyu chadra hai kuch logo ko ? besharmo kuch izzat bhi rakho apne desh ka.
Ha...hah

Looks like the resident prominent anti US lobby got frustrated.

Stop US - India going ahead, if you can.

Or , else, cry as much as you can.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ha...hah

Looks like the resident prominent anti US lobby got frustrated.

Stop US - India going ahead, if you can.

Or , else, cry as much as you can.
and you are a pro us lobby ?

good for you. shameless creatures.

person who wants foreign troops stationed is claiming to be a nationalist :rofl:

Zebra

Country flag
and you are a pro us lobby ?

good for you. shameless creatures.

person who wants foreign troops stationed is claiming to be a nationalist :rofl:
Ha haha,

US - India going ahead and kuch logo ko barabar ki mirchi lahi. :pound:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ha haha,

US - India going ahead and kuch logo ko barabar ki mirchi lahi. :pound:
us lackey. typical puppet with inferiority complex feeling all warm and fuzzy on the prospect of uncle.

Last edited:

Otm Shank2

Wow even Modi/BJP doesnt believe enough in india to do without a foriegn imprint.

Looks like India is conceding it can't be a china and will try to be a Japan, not a superpower but a regional power at least.

sob

Mod
Country flag
@sob, @LETHALFORCE , @socerer

Let me put my point of view once and for all.

1) IN as of today or near future does not need US logistics.

2) There are plenty of agreements that takes precedence over this one. Like intelligence sharing, joint development of weapon systems, joint exercises and other economic agreements which do not involve permanent or semi permanent presence of foreign troops on Indian soil regardless of their intentions.
Let us get some very important facts clear

1. As long as we are a brown water navy, we do not need any outside support. ( Never mind the serious deficiencies in our sub fleet)

2. It is very clear to anybody that the US does not need any kind of base in India. With a base in the Gulf and in Diego Garcia their present requirements are met. They are IMO trying to safeguard their present supply chain and plug in some weak links with possible Indian help.

3. Why do you think that we have had almost 70 odd exercises with the US forces in the last decade? Every exercise has focussed on one single thing-- The exercise strengthens and broadens interoperability and cooperation between both the Armies and complements a number of other exchanges between the two forces,( source- Indo-US military exercise 'Yudh Abhyas 2014' in progress - Economic Times). And this has blessings across the political divide and has the agreement of the three services in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles