Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Oracle

If your military don't see the benefit of it, they need to get their act together. It's the 21st century and cyber warfare is well in place. Just ask your northern neighbours ;)
It's not the military. It's the stupid Govt. Northern? I know western and eastern neighbors. You meant China?

Scalieback

Professional
It's not the military. It's the stupid Govt. Northern? I know western and eastern neighbors. You meant China?

Last time I looked India had a large land mass to its north called China on this map. If you want to be pedantic, nor nor east?

Okay, if it's the govt your military should be telling them to invest.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Counter measures for propoganda being?
-------------------
I don't know personally, but I've seen the ISAF feeds in Afg and they're available for all to see.Winning militarily is only part of the battle. The vanquished need to know why they were defeated and what the future can hold for them. A fore runner to psy/influence/information ops would be getting the local villagers out to clean up the bodies in the death camps in WWII
Not PR, No one care about there PR, But hacking into Private sites of GOV..

----------------------

Nothing on cyber but on ground its same as others..

Which means what? Do you think they should roll over or play them at their own game?
Again >> :rolleyes: << that is simple answer..

Last time I looked India had a large land mass to its north called China on this map. If you want to be pedantic, nor nor east?

Okay, if it's the govt your military should be telling them to invest.
They are very good at..

And we have to do lot of catching up..

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Why? If terror organisations were saying lies and other bad things about India what would you want your govt to do? Roll over? Or play them at their own game?
I dont have anything against their stated objectives . . .

but to expect such projects to stop at their stated objectives is foolhardy

The scope of such Projects can have potentially very dangerous implications .

Scalieback

Professional
I dont have anything against their stated objectives . . .

but to expect such projects to stop at their stated objectives is foolhardy

The scope of such Projects can have potentially very dangerous implications .
Exactly, that's why you have legislation and there are departments that monitor the monitors.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Exactly, that's why you have legislation and there are departments that monitor the monitors.
I am sure that these 'Monitor of Monitors' will only be concerned if these psyops dont have harmful implications for the Host country,

there's nothing to prevent them to expand their roles and attempt to mould the world view on many other fronts unrelated to security. . .or to propagate lies.

Scalieback

Professional
I am sure that these 'Monitor of Monitors' will only be concerned if these psyops dont have harmful implications for the Host country,
That's why you have robust legislation

there's nothing to prevent them to expand their roles and attempt to mould the world view on many other fronts unrelated to security. . .or to propagate lies.
You're talking tin foil hat time, please keep it sensible

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
You're talking tin foil hat time, please keep it sensible
Perhaps you are already wearing one . . .to have caught them at that wavelength

Anyway . . . in the scope of my sensibilities. . . I would definitely not rule out such possibilities . . .

I for one would not like my fellow countrymen to start harboring the Idea that Uncle Sam is the New Santa Clause

Such a methodology once available to a country like KSA or Pakistan can easily prove to be the recipe for true Global Jihad

To each his own . . .

However if such a project undertaking is possible . . .
it would be stupid if India does not jump in the foray, not just for making the world believe favourably about us,
but for more importantly to develop the means to Counter such attempts when/if they start hurting us .

Scalieback

Professional
Anyway . . . in the scope of my sensibilities. . . I would definitely not rule out such possibilities . . .

I for one would not like my fellow countrymen to start harboring the Idea that Uncle Sam is the New Santa Clause

Such a methodology once available to a country like KSA or Pakistan can easily prove to be the recipe for true Global Jihad

To each his own . . .

However if such a project undertaking is possible . . .
it would be stupid if India does not jump in the foray, not just for making the world believe favourably about us,
but for more importantly to develop the means to Counter such attempts when/if they start hurting us .
Not 'when' or even 'if' imo. Do it now

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
IMO they already must have . . .

I do have to admit though i was complteley clueless about this before i read the article .

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with United States Central Command (Centcom), which oversees US armed operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one US serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities based all over the world.
A waste of money. The contractor must be an 0bama contributor.

sky

Murdoch and his press warriors come to mind when one looks at media manipulating a country.

I am sure Murdoch was not acting independently.
100 % true , we only have 3 political parties here in Britian and without his blessing you can't win the national election . Sad but very true , even the PM must tread a very fine line between standing up for democracy and wonting to win the general election ,when that time comes.

Murdoch has real power few could ever match . He has interests in the USA so be assured he has huge influence even there as well.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If what is said that the US is doing, it is par for the course for super powers.

Psyops is a part of State policy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles