Report: Pakistani spy agency rushed Mullah Omar to hospital?

ejazr

Ambassador
Report: Pakistani spy agency rushed Mullah Omar to hospital

By Jeff Stein

Mullah Omar, the elusive, one-eyed leader of the Afghan Taliban, had a heart attack Jan. 7 and was treated for several days in a Karachi hospital with the help of Pakistan's spy agency, according to a private intelligence network run by former CIA, State Department and military officers.

The intelligence network, operating under the auspices of a private company, "The Eclipse Group," said its source was a physician in the Karachi hospital, which was not identified in the report, who said he saw Omar struggling to recover from an operation to put a stent in his heart.

"While I was not personally in the operating theater," the physician reported, "my evaluation based on what I have heard and seeing the patient in the hospital is that Mullah Omar had a cardiac catheter complication resulting in either bleeding or a small cerebral vascular incident, or both."

U.S. officials said they could not immediately verify the report.

"No one on this end has heard this," said a U.S. official from Kabul. "It doesn't mean it's not true -- we just have no information to confirm or dispute these facts."

A spokesman at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment.

UPDATE: On Tuesday afternoon Pakistan's ambassador to the United States, Husain Haqqani, said the report "had no basis whatsoever."

"Sometimes intelligence tips received by professionals turn out to be wrong. The story about Mullah Omar falls under that category. You might recall a similar story from 2001 about Osama bin Laden receiving dialysis treatment that turned out to be incorrect, and the fabrication of those who wanted to give Pakistan a bad name."

Haqqani added, "Pakistani intelligence, military and law enforcement personnel continue to hunt down wanted Al-Qaeda and Taliban figures and will apprehend anyone if and when we have hard intelligence, which is very different from speculation circulated by contractors."

The report said Omar was "rushed" to the hospital on Jan. 7 by Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency.

"The ISI rushed him to a hospital in Karachi, where he was given heparin [an anticoagulant] and operated on," the Eclipse report said. "After 3-4 days of post-operative care in the hospital, he was released to the ISI and ordered to take absolute bed rest when at home for at least several days."

The physician who was the source for the report said that, "After the operation, there seemed to be some brain damage with Mullah Omar having slurred speech."

"His post hospital course is consistent with this type of outcome," the physician added. "Three-four days in hospital is consistent with cardiac catheterization and or cardiac stent placement. Bed rest and aphasia [difficulty speaking] post-catheterization could be from a bleeding complication."

Citing a separate source in the Quetta shura, the Taliban governing council on Pakistan's border with Afghanistan, the Eclipse report said "Mullah Omar is continuing to improve and his speech is clearing."

It also said the ISI was keeping the Quetta shura "informed" about Omar's recovery at "an ISI 'guest house' in Karachi under ISI guard."

The Eclipse Group is run by Duane "Dewey" Clarridge, a former head of the CIA's Latin American operations who was the first chief of the CIA's counterterrorism center; Kim Stevens, a retired U.S. diplomat who served in Bolivia and Italy; and Brad A. Patty, a civilian advisor to the U.S. Army's 30th Heavy Brigade Combat Team in Iraq from 2007 to 2009.

The Eclipse Group's reports are available "by invitation only" on its Web site, Stevens said.

By all appearances, the Eclipse network is the just the latest iteration of a shadowy, Pentagon-backed operation that began contracting with former CIA and military operatives to supply intelligence in Afghanistan and Pakistan in 2009. Amid adverse publicity last year, the Pentagon supposedly cut off its funding.

Stevens declined to discuss The Eclipse Group's financing, except to say it has "no DoD clients "¦"

"Our customer list is proprietary information, but it is more than 20 and less than 50, including several European intelligence services," he added.

SURB

Well my stand on this news article is a bit different,why would a treating physician tell the whole story to an outsider.A breach of Patient-doctor confidentiality.If anybody comes as a patient and you are willing to be his/her physician ,you're not supposed to open you mouth in public like that.So it's more of an ethical issue for me.Also he doesn't look like the one who is closely associated in Mullah Omer's management.And whole of this story is denied officially by Hussain Haqqani(the Pakistani ambassador to the US).And i have no reasons not to believe a him.

Last edited:

Blackwater

Already posted by me on 21st don't make duplicate thread

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well my stand on this news article is a bit different,why would a treating physician tell the whole story to an outsider.A breach of Patient-doctor confidentiality.If anybody comes as a patient and you are willing to be his/her physician ,you're not supposed to open you mouth in public like that.So it's more of an ethical issue for me.Also he doesn't look like the one who is closely associated in Mullah Omer's management.And whole of this story is denied officially by Hussain Haqqani(the Pakistani ambassador to the US).And i have to reasons not to believe a him.

'Patient-doctor confidentiality' is based on ethics, not law. It applies only to the medical conditions or concerns of the patient, and ends, where the patient in question is a wanted, serious criminal sought after, not only by the intelligence agencies of several countries but by that of the country in question.

The doctor, from whom this information was gleaned, was not part of the staff treating Omar. So the trite bit about 'patient-doctor confidentiality' does not apply to him. He was part of the hospital staff, and happened to see Mullah Omar struggling with a catheter. That should take care of your qualms about patient-doctor confidentiality.

Spies and human-networs are everywhere, including doctors and surgeons. India and China are stacked with them, Pakisthan even more so.

Besides, Pakistani doctors are not known for their concerns about 'patient-doctor confidentiality', where these things are concerned. In the opening weeks of October 2001, when Omar's house in Kandahar was bombed, killing his stepfather and his 10-year old son, a Pakistani doctor in Pakistan gave a different version. He allegedly treated Omar's mortally wounded son at a hospital in Pakistan. The Taliban leader had brought the 10-year old over the border after his residence on the outskirts of Kandahar had been taken by U.S. Green Berets in a secretive night-time assault.

Hussain Haqqani will obviously deny this. As an ambassador, it throws his country in bad light if it's intelligence agency is seen to be co-operating with a notorious criminal. That should be obvious, even to you.

The sane, rational assessment is this: that, we don't know. We simply don't have enough information to posit a thought and end this dispute, one way or another.

However, anyone with even a small degree of rationalization, will realize that it is likely and in Pakistan's interest to keep Mullah Omar alive. Given their history of cooperation, it is even more likely.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles