Recoil-less Guns

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Each arty unit is equipped with 2 RCLs. Basically gun area protection. Also for deployment during Convoys. Light Regiments have more because of their forward deployment.
Try indenting for the same as RCLs.

shubhamsaikia

You are from the IA Arty?

Guess why the Arty has RL?

57mm and 106 was known as RCL Rifles in the US. It was known as the RCL Gun in India.

Arjun uses a 120 mm Rifled gun.

Should it be called a 120mm Rifle?

Nomenclature is based on usage.
Its called a rifled gun because the bore provides a spin to the projectile. Incase in any gun the Bore is providing a spin it becomes a rifle. Nomenclature dictates everything. Even our RLs are called 84mm RCL Rocket Launchers

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Its called a rifled gun because the bore provides a spin to the projectile. Incase in any gun the Bore is providing a spin it becomes a rifle. Nomenclature dictates everything. Even our RLs are called 84mm RCL Rocket Launchers
Have you checked the WET?

If you say you are from the IA and in service do PM me to include your Regt and I will check back with them as to how on their WET it is a RCL.

Worth updating my knowledge.

I am have returned from my unit and surprising they are calling it RL and you are saying that the Arty calls it RCL!

Last edited:

pmaitra

Ahhh, I think it is just a nomenclature of convenience.

Do you have spiraling grooves inside the barrel? If yes, it is a rifle.

Not many people would know, if asked, what a Thompson SMG is, but these very people know what a Tommy Gun is! :lol:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

If you say you are from the IA and in service do PM me to include your Regt and I will check back with them as to how on their WET it is a RCL.

I am have returned from my unit and surprising they are calling it RL and you are saying that the Arty calls it RCL!
IIRC he is a lawyer in Chandigarh and not from the Army.

Saikiaji, you are arguing with someone who has been there done that. Ray is Rtd Brigadier Indian Army and was in the think of things in Kargil war and has a VSM IIRC.

shubhamsaikia

IIRC he is a lawyer in Chandigarh and not from the Army.

Saikiaji, you are arguing with someone who has been there done that. Ray is Rtd Brigadier Indian Army and was in the think of things in Kargil war and has a VSM IIRC.
well then there is no point further arguing. :p

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Technically Carl Gustav is a 84mm RCL gun,

The typical recoilless gun functions very much like a conventional gun. The projectile and propellant are supplied as a single round and loaded into the breech. When fired, however, instead of all the propellant blast following the projectile out the barrel, a large portion is allowed to escape to the rear, gaining a rearward directed momentum which is nearly equal to the forward momentum of the projectile. This balance of momenta ensure that the momentum of the rifle/projectile/exhaust gas system is conserved without imparting much momentum (recoil) to the rifle itself. Since recoil has been mostly removed

In terminology its also call as Rocket Launcher also RCL in different places..

In Indian Army RCL is commonly known to be 106mm not 84mm carl gustav..

shubhamsaikia

Technically Carl Gustav is a 84mm RCL gun, In terminology its also call as Rocket Launcher also RCL in different places..

In Indian Army RCL is commonly known to be 106mm not 84mm carl gustav..
This is exactly what I am saying.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Panzerfaust

The Panzerfaust (lit. "armor fist" or "tank fist", plural: Panzerfäuste) was a cheap, recoilless German anti-tank weapon of World War II. It consisted of a small, disposable preloaded launch tube firing a high explosive anti-tank warhead, and was operated by a single soldier. The Panzerfaust was in service from 1942 until the end of the war, In urban combat in the late war in eastern Germany about 70% of tanks destroyed were hit by Panzerfausts, or Panzerschrecks. The Soviet forces responded by installing spaced armour on their tanks from early 1945 onwards, despite it being easily removed by exploding shells or Panzerfaust hits. Each tank company was also assigned a platoon of infantry to protect them from infantry-wielded anti-tank weapons

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Panzerfaust 3

The Panzerfaust 3 is a modern and disposable recoilless RPG anti-tank weapon developed between 1978 and 1985 and put into service by the Bundeswehr in 1992. It was first ordered in 1973 to provide West German infantry with an effective weapon against contemporary Soviet armour thereby replacing West Germany's aging PzF 44 Lanze rocket launchers.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

But surprisingly Brig,
84 mm RL does not fire rockets but a shell and is technically an RCL . RPG on the other hand is a classical rocket launcher. on functional and technical level, there is no difference between 106mm RCL, 57 mm RCL and 84 mm RL.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Bazooka

Bazooka is the common name for a man-portable recoilless rocket antitank weapon, widely fielded by the U.S. Army. Also referred to as the "Stovepipe", the innovative bazooka was amongst the first-generation of rocket propelled anti-tank weapons used in infantry combat. Featuring a solid rocket motor for propulsion, it allowed for high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warheads to be delivered against armored vehicles, machine gun nests, and fortified bunkers at ranges beyond that of a standard thrown grenade or mine. The universally-applied nickname arose from the M1 variant's vague resemblance to the musical instrument called a "bazooka" invented and popularized by 1930s by U.S. comedian Bob Burns.
During World War II, German armed forces captured several bazookas in early North African[2] and Eastern Front encounters and soon reverse engineered their own version,[2] increasing the warhead diameter to 8.8 cm (amongst other minor changes) and widely issuing it as the Raketenpanzerbüchse "Panzerschreck" ("Tank terror")

pankaj nema

Country flag
If the 106 mm RCL gun is heavy we cannot use it in the plains

In the Mechanised forces we need Infantry men equipped with more and more 84 mm Carl Gustav
because they are compact

106 mm RCL can only be used in the mountains along with 120 mm mortars and 105 mm artilerry

pankaj nema

Country flag
106 mm RCL gun is quite heavy

Estimated weight
-Gun with breech mechanism : 113.83kg(250.00 lbs.)
-Gun without breech mechanism : 86.09 kg(189.40 lbs)

Source 106mm RCL Gun

shubhamsaikia

Armbrust - The Armbrust is a recoilless weapon, and its design is one of the few weapons of its kind that may safely be fired in an enclosed space. The propellant charge is placed between two pistons with the projectile in front of one and a mass of shredded plastic in the rear. Unlike most recoilless weapons, it is a true counter-shot weapon as the mass of the projectile is equal to the mass of the counterweight and they are ejected from the barrel at the same initial velocity. When the weapon is fired the propellant expands pushing the two pistons out. The projectile is forced out the front and the plastic out the back. The plastic disperses upon leaving the back of the barrel, and is quickly stopped by air resistance. The pistons jam at either end of the barrel locking the hot gases inside. Its warhead can penetrate up to 300 mm of armoured steel

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
If the 106 mm RCL gun is heavy we cannot use it in the plains

In the Mechanised forces we need Infantry men equipped with more and more 84 mm Carl Gustav
because they are compact

106 mm RCL can only be used in the mountains along with 120 mm mortars and 105 mm artilerry

It is the other way round;
106 mm RCL being very heavy is vehicle mounted and can only be used in plains or low mountains.

By the way, it is an artillary piece which fires HE and Canister rounds at longer ranger in an indirect fire. That is how it was rifled to impart adequate spin to projectiles.

shubhamsaikia

MATADOR (Man-portable Anti-Tank, Anti-DOoR) is a 90 mm (3.5 in) man-portable, disposable anti-armor weapon system developed in a collaboration between Singapore and Israel. It is an updated version of the German Armbrust design, and operates on the same principles. The development of this weapon began in 2000 and the MATADOR will eventually replace the German-Singaporean Armbrust Light Anti-tank Weapon which has been in service since the 1980s

shubhamsaikia

B-300 - The B-300 is a reuseable man-portable anti-tank weapon system developed by Israeli Military Industries in the late 1970s for use by the Israel Defence Force. The B-300 can be carried and operated by a single operator and is effective to approximately 400 meters.[1] Pre-packaged munitions and simple operating mechanisms make the weapon quite versatile, permitting use by airborne, motorized, and ground troops alike. When defence publications first heard reports of the B-300 in the early 1980s, various reports stated in error that it was an Israeli improved and manufacture of the Russian RPG-7.

pankaj nema

Country flag
It is the other way round;
106 mm RCL being very heavy is vehicle mounted and can only be used in plains or low mountains.

By the way, it is an artillary piece which fires HE and Canister rounds at longer ranger in an indirect fire. That is how it was rifled to impart adequate spin to projectiles.
In the plains a 100 KG vehicle mounted RCL is a liability and a soft target because there is no Armour Protection

BMPs and Tanks are the only armoured vehicles in plains

The Towed Arty and the LORRIED Infantrymen are all soft targets

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles