Reasons for US' recent India Appeasement tactics?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
But it does, my good Sir!

Once bitten twice shy... Then, what happens when bitten multiple times and witnessed multiple atrocities? Cynical forever!

Your new laundry list has nothing to do with your original post. But that's the way we roll here on DFI.:pokerface:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This has the probability of being a prime reason of recent US appeasement of India.

Not all the reasons provided might be accurate, but overall very feasible.

US arming India into dependency | Bangkok Post: opinion

Disagree with Chellaney. US is not arming India into dependency. India has only bought stuff that were not available from other sources as we bought through FMS.

He is also wrong to say US offering only defensive weapons. We are going to buy Apache, we could have bought M777 if we has made the decision, we could have bought F18, P8s are not defensive but offensive armed with Harpoons.

ninja85

being the largest arms importer in the world, while the currency slumps and the government imposes draconian import curbs to keep its balance of payments afloat, is hardly desirable.
ass burned!!!!!!! Hahahhahahhahaha .

united THIEF kingdom

reason: making the idiotic netas to sign the NPT/CTBT/FMCT and cismoa
India is developing similar technologies on its own anyway, US can't prevent it, so by selling those stuffs they want to disrupt the effort of our scientific org (ie. by hook), and all those recent killing of our naval engineers (ie. by crook)
and obviously for $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
by the way we have an independent foreign & strategic policy, so we will never go to war with us against china like britain

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Agree with you... That's why I said that I do not agree with all the reasons provided by Chellaney.

But tell me, which govt suddenly decides to offer 10 high tech systems with another country with another 90 in the pipeline?

It is a ploy to make India hopelessly dependent on US in terms of defence, so that in the future US has the power to influence India's decisions by threatening to withdraw support.

Disagree with Chellaney. US is not arming India into dependency. India has only bought stuff that were not available from other sources as we bought through FMS.

He is also wrong to say US offering only defensive weapons. We are going to buy Apache, we could have bought M777 if we has made the decision, we could have bought F18, P8s are not defensive but offensive armed with Harpoons.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Agree with you... That's why I said that I do not agree with all the reasons provided by Chellaney.

But tell me, which govt suddenly decides to offer 10 high tech systems with another country with another 90 in the pipeline?

It is a ploy to make India hopelessly dependent on US in terms of defence, so that in the future US has the power to influence India's decisions by threatening to withdraw support.
Your argument assumes continuity and coherence of US policy through many administrations. The present administration exhibits no such characteristics during its own tenure.

bose

Country flag

Brother I beg to differ with you...

Actually has far as the capability to build our own defense equipment India is I would say a toddler in this area...India needs learn from co development and R&D with US and other countries such as Israel, France, Ukraine, US and definitely Russia...We are exactly doing the same... Let us not over estimate India's capability in defense industrial production and development"¦

Regarding over dependence on any specific country it all depends on the India itself, and our current over dependency on Russian weapons, I do not see fault with Russia rather I will blame our own leader and forces both for the short sightedness and lack of planning...

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
You didn't actually contradict me.

I am very much aware of India's limited capabilities. My point is that US is exploiting this weakness not to graciously bolster our capabilities, but creating a situation which they can conveniently exploit at a later time.

Brother I beg to differ with you...

Actually has far as the capability to build our own defense equipment India is I would say a toddler in this area...India needs learn from co development and R&D with US and other countries such as Israel, France, Ukraine, US and definitely Russia...We are exactly doing the same... Let us not over estimate India's capability in defense industrial production and development"¦

Regarding over dependence on any specific country it all depends on the India itself, and our current over dependency on Russian weapons, I do not see fault with Russia rather I will blame our own leader and forces both for the short sightedness and lack of planning...

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Your argument assumes continuity and coherence of US policy through many administrations. The present administration exhibits no such characteristics during its own tenure.
The one thing consistent among a century of US politicians is a voracious desire to control everything global. This transcends generations, ideology, party, views or trends.

bose

Country flag
You didn't actually contradict me.

I am very much aware of India's limited capabilities. My point is that US is exploiting this weakness not to graciously bolster our capabilities, but creating a situation which they can conveniently exploit at a later time.
Let me put a counter question to you why will US or Russia will give techs that they have put in huge money and research effort for over 50 years? no one will and I will go on to say no one should... It makes perfect business sense to make others dependent on oneself... If India gets the same opportunity she will also do the same"¦

We need to learn from Japanese the way they conquered the Auto sector in world"¦ initially they got the auto tech from western countries itself and worked very hard to gain market through farsightedness and efficiency"¦

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I think we are both saying the same thing. I am pointing out the "why" and you are pointing out the "how".

Let me put a counter question to you why will US or Russia will give techs that they have put in huge money and research effort for over 50 years? no one will and I will go on to say no one should... It makes perfect business sense to make others dependent on oneself... If India gets the same opportunity she will also do the same"¦

We need to learn from Japanese the way they conquered the Auto sector in world"¦ initially they got the auto tech from western countries itself and worked very hard to gain market through farsightedness and efficiency"¦

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The one thing consistent among a century of US politicians is a voracious desire to control everything global. This transcends generations, ideology, party, views or trends.
That concept started with Teddy Roosevelt, and continued with Woodrow Wilson (both were progressives), so what you speak of has gone on for more than 100 years. Americans who disagree with the US being the global policeman are derided as isolationists. Now we have Obama who sticks his nose in every country's business, Libya, Egypt, Syria just to name a few.

But all of that is not closely connected to US arms systems sales to India, in my opinion.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles