RC400 and MBDA MICA approved for JF-17

A.V.

French authorities have given approval for industry to offer a Thales RC 400 airborne fire control radar and MBDA Mica air-to-air missiles to Pakistan, to be fitted on the JF-17 jet fighter built under license from China, a Pakistani official said.

“They are cleared for export negotiation,” the official said.

The sale has raised concerns of a potential breach of the EU military embargo on China.

Pakistan and France have drawn up a memorandum of understanding in which Islamabad promises not to release technology to China, the Pakistani official said. French industry submitted prices about a year and a half ago for the gear and these were no longer valid. With export clearance, commercial negotiations can take place.

The Délégation Générale pour l’Armement arms agency, MBDA and Thales declined comment.

link :- Defense News - Breaking International Defense News

A.V.

yest another step to show that france has given up on the MRCA deal surely however much capable this might be compared to the rafale the french is offering india surely this wont get them additional points on the IAF or MODs books

notinlove

the RC 400 is The main radar ??

i heard the pakistanis were lookin for AESA's.

as for MICA .... nothin could have been better for china now they can xerox it to their hearts content.

A.V.

AESA is still far off because if any of them were available they woudnt have chosen this
as far as MICA goes its good but its not futuristic its still a decade behind the french agreed because they will get the meteor by 2013
MICA is a good platform for BVR and pakistan has done well but the RADAR is still not upto the mark i am reading the details will check out how good it will match upto others in the market

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
yest another step to show that france has given up on the MRCA deal surely however much capable this might be compared to the rafale the french is offering india surely this wont get them additional points on the IAF or MODs books
Does that mean SH and F-16 are out since US gives them billions in welfare and equipment? Does that mean MiG-35 is out since Russia supplies the engines for JF-17? Does that mean Eurofighter is out since MBDA is a Euro consortium company? Does that mean Gripen is out since they sold PAF Eireye AWACs? Guess what mate, you just killed your competition.

StealthSniper

Goes to show that the only way to be happy is to make your own weapons and not rely on foreign ones. Foreign suppliers only look at your wallet and not your political environment and will sell to anyone that are willing to buy.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Mica is 20 year old technology?

StealthSniper

Its not fair to vilify France here, we are offering India the latest of French technology. We offer Pakistan outdated equipment. It is the same thing everyone in MMRCA is doing. India gets offered cutting edge while Pakistan gets 20+ year old technology.

It's okay Armand, India is already in the process of making her own weapons and maybe in a decade or two we will have self sufficency like America and Russia. It's only now that we need to buy foreign equipment to equip our army and learn other technologies but in the future other countries will be buying our military equipment. I am pretty sure that India won't take advantage of other countries like America and France are.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
@ Armand- the only way a mica or a french radar supplied to the pakistanis is no threat to india is if they are deactivated , 20+Yr old technology or not does not matter ;what matters is France is handing over assets to pakistan that can be used by pakistanis to bring Indian pilots and assets to harm.

sandeepdg

Goes to show that the only way to be happy is to make your own weapons and not rely on foreign ones. Foreign suppliers only look at your wallet and not your political environment and will sell to anyone that are willing to buy.
Rightly said, Sniper ! Once the in-house defense production for various technologies that are being planned starts, we will become less dependent on foreign manufacturers. Our R&D and industrial capabilities are improving by the day, and now with the defense industry opening its doors to private players, surely we will be able to produce all cutting-edge technologies at home at highly economical prices which will benefit our nation both economically and politically in the years to come and avoid cheap and dirty arm twisting tactics used by foreign companies and governments ! Once we establish ourselves as a major defense industry player, it will give serious competition to all American, European and Russian companies.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
@ Armand- the only way a mica or a french radar supplied to the pakistanis is no threat to india is if they are deactivated , 20+Yr old technology or not does not matter ;what matters is France is handing over assets to pakistan that can be used by pakistanis to bring Indian pilots and assets to harm.
Are you saying Pakistan doesn't have a right to buy Western weapons?

p2prada

The RDY-3 version and the MICA were the only good choices for the PAF. I had always anticipated France winning this one for the JF-17. Italy simply does not cut it. Too bad they cannot access EL/M 2032. That could have opened up AMRAAM along with MICA for the PAF.

I wonder who much will they be paying for it. I am sure the RDY-3 will be expensive. Will the RDY-3 go into the export models of the JF-17 too?

notinlove

Its not fair to vilify France here, we are offering India the latest of French technology. We offer Pakistan outdated equipment. It is the same thing everyone in MMRCA is doing. India gets offered cutting edge while Pakistan gets 20+ year old technology.
which missile was it suceeded by ??

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Are you saying Pakistan doesn't have a right to buy Western weapons?
What I am saying is that if france considers herself to be an ally of a nation(read India) she should not sell any offensive systems to any nation(Read pakistan/china) that may be used to bring her allies(read Indians) to harm.As a matter of principle if not based upon strict geopolitics.

Note:I am not against any purely defensive systems sales such as the CROTALE Systems france has sold to Pakistan.

ppgj

What I am saying is that if france considers herself to be an ally of a nation(read India) she should not sell any offensive systems to any nation(Read pakistan/china) that may be used to bring her allies(read Indians) to harm.As a matter of principle if not based upon strict geopolitics.

Note:I am not against any purely defensive systems sales such as the CROTALE Systems france has sold to Pakistan.
more as i would have liked it to be so, unfortunately it is too ideal to expect.
france has given agosta submarine with AIP to pakistan in the past.
russians supply to china which is our bigger adversary while they healthily engage us in PAKFA/FGFA.
same is the case with US. while calling us natural allies, they aid and arm pakistan.
saab with erieye does the same.

so i think we should not get too bothered with this.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Armand Rafale is using Mica I think, so you are giving us old technology

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think French are selling the offensive/defensive weapons only as part of pure business. French will sell to anyone if the price is right. But then India should also take necessary steps to show to all nations that they will lose business if they sell offensive weapons to our enemies. We have enough choke points on France to tell it if India is unhappy with this sale. Unless these weapons are not offensive to Indian interests, we should let this happen.

macintosh

I think French are selling the offensive/defensive weapons only as part of pure business. French will sell to anyone if the price is right. But then India should also take necessary steps to show to all nations that they will lose business if they sell offensive weapons to our enemies. We have enough choke points on France to tell it if India is unhappy with this sale. Unless these weapons are not offensive to Indian interests, we should let this happen.
Face the reality. We can't do anything about it. Every nation has a right to offer PAF any technology they deem right. If we could not stop the Russians then how can we stop France who is known to defy even US on Iraq invasion. This is the ultimate reality. Atmost we can stop them from every deal or let them do it. In my view it would be bad to do that. Accept the reality & be self sufficient. PAF knew it would get that and that is why they were happy with JF-17. The strategy is to load JF-17 with as much accesories as possible to be able to put up a force that can hold IAF as they know that in case of an all out war with India they have to hold for only 15 days, after that US, China will make sure cease fire happens. Thus value for money.

The news is 2 years old.

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
People don't get your knickers in a twist for no reason...this report must be at least two or three years old & no follow ups since. Aren't they supposed to be waiting for the chinese AESA? Change of avionics is certainly no joke. It will take them some time with integration & testing.

himanshugoswami

Pakistan and China's biggest impediment right now is relative lack of access to western tech. Pak is still relying heavily on their F-16s and the Chinese have had a good look at these birds as well.

with France agreeing to sell the MICA and RC to Pak, in once stroke, a serious handicap for Pak and China will be wiped off, old tech or not. the fact is that it is still more advanced than anything both these countries have, and if France is not sensitive to Indian (and also the international community, given China's track record in proliferation and IPR viiolations) then India should make France realise in the best way it can- by not considering French weapons in future purchases.

The extreme irony in this is that the genesis of the MMRCA bid lies in the IAF's desire to procure more Mirage 2000s in the first place and just because some MoD babu thought that the M2k-9 was so far removed from the original M2k that it was no longer a follow on purchase but necessitated a new tender, that we are seeing the MMRCA bid now.

talk about France shooting itself in the foot.

France only has to look at the proposed U214 deal between Germany and Pak to see how Germany is delaying the deal (to the point of scuttling it) jus tso that it can have a good piece of the multi billion dollar Indian market.

Foreign suppliers only look at your wallet and not your political environment and will sell to anyone that are willing to buy.
So lets beat them at their own game since we have the dollars and hold most aces if not all in the pack.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles