Raytheon delivers Radar for Indian Navy's P8I Maritime surveillance Aircraft

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Raytheon has delivered a unique surveillance radar to Boeing to be installed on the Indian Navy's P8I maritime surveillance aircraft. The radar offers air-to-sea, air-to-air and weather monitoring capabilities, it was announced during a press conference at the Singapore Air Show 2012.

This one-of-its kind radar was built to the Indian Navy's specifications and allows the user to detect threats in the air as well as at sea. In addition, an inteleaved weather and surface search capability has been added to provide the cockpit with up-to-date weather avoidance information while performing surveillance missions.

Raytheon's Vice President for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconaissance Systems at the company's Space and Airborne Systems Business, Tim Carey said, "Our APY-10 Radar will provide the Indian Navy with proven, low risk tecnology built on generations of successful Raytheon maritime radar systems".

With reduced weight and power consumption, the APY-10 radar has improved the average mean time between failures by six times over earlier generation radars. In addition, the design offers significant growth possibilities, Tim added.

Tim did not wish to comment on the price of the radar but added that he expects the radar to attract attention from other navies in the Asia Pacific region.

Raytheon Delivers Unique Radar for Indian P8I : Defense news

Additionally, the interleaved weather and surface search capability provides the cockpit with up-to-date weather avoidance information while performing surveillance missions.

India is the first international customer for the Boeing-developed P-8I, a variant of the US Navy's P-8A Poseidon.
The P-8I can perform a wide range of missions including anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue, long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance over land and water.

The aircraft features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment.

Deliveries are scheduled to commence in 2012 and will be completed by 2015.

noob101

of course Raytheon makes the news sound good. I know that this wont be the same radar that the USN is getting but it seems that Unkil is willing to sell it to every Tom, Dick & Harry in the Asian Pacific region so it seems like it is a considerably downgraded version of what will be on the P8A. I can be wrong, comments please

SPIEZ

Country flag
Surprising India buy's radar tech from USA. And how will it perform anti-submarine operations?

p2prada

of course Raytheon makes the news sound good. I know that this wont be the same radar that the USN is getting but it seems that Unkil is willing to sell it to every Tom, Dick & Harry in the Asian Pacific region so it seems like it is a considerably downgraded version of what will be on the P8A. I can be wrong, comments please
There is no such radar on the P-8A that USN will induct. You can say the P-8A is inferior to the P-8I. The P-8I will be capable of scans in the air like an AWACS along with sector scans in the forward and rear hemispheres.

The P-8A can only scan in the forward hemisphere and has no air to air scan. It will have to depend on other AWACS like E-3 or E-2.

noob101

There is no such radar on the P-8A that USN will induct. You can say the P-8A is inferior to the P-8I. The P-8I will be capable of scans in the air like an AWACS along with sector scans in the forward and rear hemispheres.

The P-8A can only scan in the forward hemisphere and has no air to air scan. It will have to depend on other AWACS like E-3 or E-2.
I thought that the P8A was also getting the APY 10 radar and that the P8I was getting the international version of APY 10.
LINK

what little research that i have done on this seems to agree with you that the international version is better or more customized than the one that USN is getting but it leaves me wondering is Unkil really giving us the good stuff? There are many in the pentagon that are still stuck in the cold war era and view India as Russia's largest ally in Asia. On the other hand it would be more beneficial for the US to prop our Navy up as it would be a direct counter weight to China. Plus the ridiculously high price that we paid for the P8I we should be getting what the USN is getting at least..... and it seems that way

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Here's a comment from the article:
This one-of-its kind radar was built to the Indian Navy's specifications...
:)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Surprising India buy's radar tech from USA. And how will it perform anti-submarine operations?
The subject radar could be only used in ASW if the target was surfaced or had periscope up, right?

SPIEZ

Country flag
The subject radar could be only used in ASW if the target was surfaced or had periscope up, right?
Yup! I had the idea that sonar alone could be usefull underwater.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles