Raymond Davis saga in Pakistan

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well that is hypothetical question and none can answer it but everyone has opinions on it. I believe we would be have been better off strategically in the international stage but dont know about the internal politics.

One thing for sure is that there would have been another party against hindi :pound:

Pakistan is a failed state and will literally fail when aid is stopped....they have only 1 use and that is to be used by other countries like a puppet to contain India.
Why do you think so? On the contrary, I think they would have strongly favoured the idea. Hindi (Hindustani, not sanskritized) and Urdu are so similar that one can hardly make out the difference. The Pakjabis have made Urdu Pakistan's national language. They look down upon, and ridicule the Pashto, Balochi and other languages of their nation. They are the type who would jump at the idea of implementing 'national language' and making knowledge of that 'national language' a test of the person's patriotism. In fact, the very concept reeks of Pakistaniyat.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why do you think so? On the contrary, I think they would have strongly favoured the idea. Hindi (Hindustani, not sanskritized) and Urdu are so similar that one can hardly make out the difference. The Pakjabis have made Urdu Pakistan's national language. They look down upon, and ridicule the Pashto, Balochi and other languages of their nation. They are the type who would jump at the idea of implementing 'national language' and making knowledge of that 'national language' a test of the person's patriotism. In fact, the very concept reeks of Pakistaniyat.
No they would want urdu....yes spoken language is nearly identical but written is totally different. They would have been against impleting hindi as national language from the beginning.

Just last week i encountered two south Indians in delhi speaking some south Indian language and i remembered our thread here. According to some of the claims from people on your side they should be speaking hindi when in hindi belt but i dont care what they speak since they live in a free country where everyone enjoys equal freedom.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No they would want urdu....yes spoken language is nearly identical but written is totally different. They would have been against impleting hindi as national language from the beginning.

Just last week i encountered two south Indians in delhi speaking some south Indian language and i remembered our thread here. According to some of the claims from people on your side they should be speaking hindi when in hindi belt but i dont care what they speak since they live in a free country where everyone enjoys equal freedom.
You didn't understand the first thing of what that thread was all about.

Were those people speaking "some South Indian language" among themselves? Or were they trying to talk to auto drivers in that "some South Indian language" and cribbing when the auto driver didn't understand? Who "from my side" claimed that we should go into people's houses and check what language they speak with their family and friends?

Do you comprehend the difference, or were all those 50 pages a complete waste on you? Or was this latest post of yours simply an attempt to troll, in spite of having understood everything? I hope it is the latter.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You didn't understand the first thing of what that thread was all about.

Were those people speaking "some South Indian language" among themselves? Or were they trying to talk to auto drivers in that "some South Indian language" and cribbing when the auto driver didn't understand? Who "from my side" claimed that we should go into people's houses and check what language they speak with their family and friends?

Do you comprehend the difference, or were all those 50 pages a complete waste on you? Or was this latest post of yours simply an attempt to troll, in spite of having understood everything? I hope it is the latter.
No one from your side claimed to "go into people's houses and check what language they speak with their family and friends?" but did claim that people should speak/learn the local language of the state they are in. Im just saying that those views are wrong.

Everyone should have freedom to speak whatever they like.

do you disagree with the bold part ? if not then why are we arguing ? and i am not trolling.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No one from your side claimed to "go into people's houses and check what language they speak with their family and friends?" but did claim that people should speak/learn the local language of the state they are in. Im just saying that those views are wrong.

Everyone should have freedom to speak whatever they like.

do you disagree with the bold part ? if not then why are we arguing ? and i am not trolling.
I agree with the bold part, but the discussion initiated in the thread was not about your bolded statement at all.

The problem is just that people should should stop expecting everyone to speak Hindi wherever they go, and stop cribbing about "yahan ke log Hindi bhi nahi bolte", and stop equating Hindi with Indian-ness. And quit the bullshit of, "Yahan aao to lagta hi nahi hai ki hum India mein hai - koi shuddh Hindi nahi bolta"

And make an effort to learn the local language if you're going to settle down someplace for several years. Not mandatory, but try to do it, for your own good. If you don't want to, at least don't crib about how inconvenient it is that no one understands you!

No one expects people to give up their language and stop speaking the language altogether. Only a total retard would even think of such a thing!

Anyway, how does the fact that you overheard two people speaking some "South Indian language" in Delhi, have any relation to that language thread at all? What does that prove, or disprove?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I agree with the bold part, but the discussion initiated in the thread was not about your bolded statement at all.
Yes it was not but my stance was always what ive bolded in my previous post here.

The problem is just that people should should stop expecting everyone to speak Hindi wherever they go, and stop cribbing about "yahan ke log Hindi bhi nahi bolte", and stop equating Hindi with Indian-ness. And quit the bullshit of, "Yahan aao to lagta hi nahi hai ki hum India mein hai - koi shuddh Hindi nahi bolta"
Agreed and i even agreed with this in that thread.

And make an effort to learn the local language if you're going to settle down someplace for several years. Not mandatory, but try to do it, for your own good. If you don't want to, at least don't crib about how inconvenient it is that no one understands you!
Agreed.

No one expects people to give up their language and stop speaking the language altogether. Only a total retard would even think of such a thing!
Agreed.

Anyway, how does the fact that you overheard two people speaking some "South Indian language" in Delhi, have any relation to that language thread at all? What does that prove, or disprove?
It proves that many people speak many different languages and should be allowed to do so whereever they are. Some in that thread were claiming that everyone should learn hindi and some were claiming that everyone should learn the local language of the state they are currently living in. Im against both of them. It should be voluntary.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Well, we agree on everything then. I still didn't understand the relevance of the Delhi incident - because as long as they were speaking among themselves, it's nobody's business. As long as they don't expect/demand the locals to speak their language.

Anyway, forget it. Let us get back to Raymond Davis. :smile:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
^^ Well, we agree on everything then. I still didn't understand the relevance of the Delhi incident - because as long as they were speaking among themselves, it's nobody's business. As long as they don't expect/demand the locals to speak their language.

Anyway, forget it. Let us get back to Raymond Davis. :smile:
There is nothing left to discuss on davis! We all knew he would be released and it was only a matter of time.

pakistan is afterall a puppet of usa and they were only looking to soften the blow and not tarnish whatever image they have in the eyes of avg pakistani.

anyone expecting them to jail him or hang him lives in a fantasy world of his own. bottom line is that he got away without any punishment after murdering pakistanis in pakistan and then a day after his release usa murdered a few dozen more pakistanis and the pak army and isi can do squat against it.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
There is nothing left to discuss on davis! We all knew he would be released and it was only a matter of time.

pakistan is afterall a puppet of usa and they were only looking to soften the blow and not tarnish whatever image they have in the eyes of avg pakistani.

anyone expecting them to jail him or hang him lives in a fantasy world of his own. bottom line is that he got away without any punishment after murdering pakistanis in pakistan and then a day after his release usa murdered a few dozen more pakistanis and the pak army and isi can do squat against it.
Yes, but the aftermath of this RD incident was completely unexpected, in terms of Pakistani public reaction :love:

Man, you don't know what you're missing by not viewing Pawkee forums at this time. The amount of breast-beating going on there is unbelievable. :becky:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yes, but the aftermath of this RD incident was completely unexpected, in terms of Pakistani public reaction :love:

Man, you don't know what you're missing by not viewing Pawkee forums at this time. The amount of breast-beating going on there is unbelievable. :becky:
They are being humiliated on a daily basis and i like every bit of it. I might peek once in a while but i feel dirty whenever i visit any pak website.

Once i read a few pages there and the delusion of the posters was too much :pound:

ejazr

Ambassador
Spy game: The CIA, Pakistan and 'blood money'

Chris Arsenault
The case of Raymond Davis has all the trappings of a 21st century spy novel.

It is a story of murder, prison and clandestine payments, starring a burly former US Special Forces soldier tangled in a murky web of intelligence agencies, competing diplomats and – differentiating his case from Cold War spy sagas – shady private military contractors.

Pakistani authorities released the CIA contractor from prison on Wednesday, after families of two motorcyclists he killed in January were paid a reported $2.3mn in "blood money".

Details surrounding the case are sketchy at best: a series of claims and counter-claims from various diplomats, agencies and organisations which are almost impossible to independently verify. And the stakes are high.

Privatising conflict

"The case highlights the fact that the US is engaged in a covert war in Pakistan - a country it has not declared war against," says Jeremy Scahill, author of Blackwater: the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army.

Davis, 36, once hustled for Blackwater, the controversial military contractor responsible for killing civilians in Iraq, which has since been rebranded as Xe Services LLC.

"He worked for Blackwater when the company was working on the drone bombing campaign with the JSOC [Joint Special Operations Command], and the CIA against high-value individuals in Pakistan," Scahill told Al Jazeera.

Davis owns Hyperion Protective Consultants, according to ABC News. The firm sells surveillance equipment and provides clients with "loss and risk management professionals".

In the new world of intelligence, individuals can wear several different hats, often at the same time.
"In theory, it would be cheaper to have government agents do the work contractors are doing: they don't get paid as much and there is no dedicated profit margin," says Eamon Javers, author of Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage.

"There is a huge open question about the legal jurisdiction these contractors are operating under in war zones. They are not accountable to US military justice, as special ops would be," Javers told Al Jazeera.

Christine Fair, a Pakistan expert at Georgetown University says, "There is nothing abnormal about military contractors gathering intelligence, conducting warfare or helping with diplomacy", concerns about high costs, impunity and jurisdiction notwithstanding.

"The way we [Americans] do business, fight wars, provide assistance, and the way we run our embassies is being done through contractors," Fair told Al Jazeera.

Who is immune?

When Pakistani authorities arrested Davis in Lahore, he carried classic tools of the spy trade: a Glock semiautomatic pistol, a long-range wireless set, camera, flashlight and small telescope.

The initial public conflict between Pakistan and the US revolved around Davis's diplomatic status. The US said the contractor had diplomatic immunity from prosecution, while Pakistani authorities disputed the claim.

According to Fair, the issue of diplomatic immunity is simple and was "misconstrued" throughout the Davis saga. Whether Davis was a contractor or a formal embassy employee is not important for the question of immunity, she says.

"The diplomatic status of staff members is set by the sending countries," she says, referring in this case to the US. "The Pakistani government has one choice to make: to accept the terms or not to. Pakistan accepted the terms and issued a visa and then re-issued it."

There is no debate about the process for getting diplomatic immunity, as Pakistan and the US have signed the Vienna Convention which sets out the rules.

But Jeremy Scahill is not sure Davis's diplomatic status is quite so clear. "There have been some reports that the US tried to claim he was a diplomat after the events took place," Scahill says.

Conflicting crime stories

The events in question transpired on January 27. Davis was driving his car through a poor section of Lahore. He stopped at a crowded intersection. Two Pakistani men jumped off motorcycles and came towards him, with weapons drawn, according to American accounts of the incident. Davis opened fire with his Glock, killing them.

He said he fired in self-defence, assuming they were trying to rob him. Pakistani authorities disputed this claim, saying the men were shot in the back and Davis got out of his car to take photographs of the bodies.

Pakistani security forces chased Davis to a traffic circle a short distance away from the crime scene and arrested him. Before being taken down, Davis called the US Consulate to extract him from the dicey situation. The US sent an unmarked SUV tearing through the streets of Lahore.

It drove the wrong way down a one way street, killing a random motorcyclist, in a development that further infuriated Pakistanis. The three killings lead to widespread outrage, fuelling anti-American demonstrations.

"Those who oppose the partnership between Pakistan and the US have been making noise," says Rasul Baksh Raees, a political science professor at Lahore University of Management Sciences.

Wary of anger on the streets, Pakistan's government may have initially denied giving the contractor immunity to save face, says Muqtedar Khan, a professor of international relations at the University of Delaware.

Intrigue

Many Pakistanis, including the political opposition, are furious about US drone strikes and other killings in the country. But this is nothing new.

The intrigue concerns the identities of the men Davis killed - and the nature of his mission.

"Some suggest Davis was trying to document links between Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI) and Lashkar-e-Taiba [the Army of the Pure], which would expose the ISI's links to the Mumbai attacks [of 2008]," says Khan. The US and UN Security Council have designated Lashkar as an international terrorist organisation.

In February, Leon Panetta, the CIA director, said the ISI-CIA relationship is one of the "most complicated" he has encountered during his time in intelligence.

"If Ray Davis was targeting Laskhkar or trying to establish links between it and Pakistani intelligence, that would be probably one of the most sensitive places to hit the ISI," says Jeremy Scahill, the author and investigative journalist.

In a US federal court in New York, a lawsuit was filed in 2010 against the ISI for backing the Mumbai attacks. Davis's conclusions could have damaged more than the ISI's public image. US tax dollars paid to Pakistani security forces under the auspices of fighting terrorism, not to mention a major financial settlement, could be at stake.

Christine Fair, the Georgetown professor, says two high-level Pakistani officials told her that the men Davis killed were ISI agents tasked with following him.

Davis worked out of a safe house in an obscure part of Lahore as part of a CIA cell investigating Lashkar, Fair says.

"The CIA cooperates with the ISI on certain issues," Fair says. "But these organisations also operate against each other. This is spy versus spy."

The origins of Lashkar can be traced to US support for forces fighting against the Soviets in Afghanistan during the 1980s, Khan says. Today, the group operates openly in Pakistan from a sprawling compound in the suburbs of Lahore, where it runs schools, hospitals and a blood bank. Hafiz Saeed, the group's leader, is a frequent commentator in the Pakistani press.

The group frequently espouses anti-Western ideology, targeting India, Israel and the US in their literature, says professor Fair, adding that "they never really operated to achieve those larger objectives – perhaps until 2004, when they started attacking the US in Afghanistan".

The ISI and some other branches of Pakistan's government see Lashkar as an important tool against India in Kashmir, a province claimed by both India and Pakistan, says Muqtedar Khan.

"In recent years, the balance of power has shifted significantly in India's favour, in terms of traditional warfare," Khan says. "The economic disparity is such that Pakistan cannot launch a conventional war against India for Kashmir," he says. Pakistan sees unconventional forces like Lashkar as crucial defences against its traditional rival.

Pakistan also worries about Indian dominance in Afghanistan after the US pulls out, and wants Lashkar ready to fill the vacuum of American power, Khan says.

Money talks

Raymond Davis's case has caused head-aches for the US and Pakistan. They both hoped it would go-away, but neither could lose face.

The payment of "blood money" to relatives of the men Davis killed - an accepted custom in Pakistan - was the easiest solution.

The sum of $2.3mn is exponentially higher than what the US normally pays family members when its forces kill innocents in Iraq or Afghanistan, Jeremy Scahill says.

Money talks, and such a large sum illustrates the importance of the case. According to Scahill, the blood money suggested by the US state department for victims of Blackwater killings in Iraq was about $5,000.

"What is even more important than the money, is what the Pakistanis and the ISI extracted from the US in exchange for [Davis's] release," Scahill says.

After "blood money" was paid, American consular officials whisked Raymond Davis out of the country. His exact mission, or the conclusions from the intelligence he gathered, may never come to light.

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, denied that the US paid family members. However, she wouldn't comment on who forked over the cash.

"It is rather a charade to suggest [the US] didn't pay family members," says Ray McGovern, a former CIA analyst, who alleged that the payment came from Pakistan's ISI, which receives money from the US through bilateral military cooperation deals.

But Davis's political footprint will last, as anti-American protests spread across Pakistan, with people demanding more accountability from foreign forces operating on Pakistani territory. "Raymond Davis was basically the tip of the iceberg," says Professor Khan.

"He was not the cause, but a part of, the diverging interests between Pakistan and the US in the war on terror."

ejazr

Ambassador
ANALYSIS: Davis's departure: ISI-CIA's dirty deal? —Farhat Taj

For decades, the people of Pakistan have suffered due to the CIA and ISI's murky ties. These ties have led to the strengthening of Islamist forces, the natural allies of the GHQ in Pakistan.

Raymond Davis, an American national accused of being a CIA contractor in Pakistan and charged with killing two Pakistani citizens in January 2011, was released by a Lahore court on March 16, 2011. The US authorities said Davis was protected by full diplomatic immunity but the Pakistani government refuted the US claim. He was immediately flown out of Pakistan after his release. Reportedly, Davis was released after paying Rs 200 million as 'blood money' to the legal heirs of the deceased.

Who actually ordered the release of Davis in Pakistan and on what grounds? What are the implications of the release for the people of Pakistan, especially in militancy-hit areas like FATA?

It should not be ambiguous that the release came into being due to successful negotiations between the CIA in the US and the ISI in Pakistan. The PPP government, which has long ago surrendered its authority over foreign relations (especially with the US) to the military establishment, has no role in the release. The same is true about the PML-N led government in Punjab where Davis was kept under detention. Without the establishment's involvement, the Pakistani judiciary could not have ordered Davis's release. Justice to the heirs of the men killed by Davis is irrelevant in the establishment's paradigm of national security. There are reports that the heirs of two of the dead men have been forced to accept a compromise for Davis's release. The brother of the third man, Ibad-ur-Rahman, killed by a US diplomatic vehicle that rushed to Davis's help, has told the media that his family is not part of the compromise nor has it been taken into confidence by the authorities.

The CIA and ISI have had uneasy relations since the post-9/11 US attack on the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan. The US invaded Afghanistan without having addressed Pakistan's concerns in Afghanistan vis-à-vis India. Lieutenant General Mahmoud Ahmed, the then ISI Chief, reminded the US of Pakistan's long history with the Taliban. The then US Deputy Secretary of State, Richard Armitage, categorically told him: "History begins today." Pakistan was forced into the US-led war on terror against the Pakistan-backed jihadi government in Afghanistan. Pakistan had no choice but to double deal with the US in the war on terror and this is what it has been doing to this day. To address immediate US concerns, some of the pro-Taliban military authorities like Lieutenant General Mahmoud were removed. But this does not mean that the army and the ISI were totally cleansed of the pro-Taliban people. General Safdar Hussain is a case in point. Through him, the Pakistan Army signed deals with al Qaeda-led militants in Waziristan and slaughtered traditional tribal leaders there. This jihadi general even had the audacity to publicly question the US presence in post-9/11 Afghanistan at the time of signing a deal with al Qaeda in Waziristan. Above all, the generals engineered an artificial insurgency in FATA. These generals have always been part and parcel of the ISI's game to overpower the people of FATA through militants fully backed by military headquarters (GHQ) in Rawalpindi.

It is thus no wonder that the Americans have been constantly questioning Pakistan's commitment in the war on terror. The CIA has had tense relations with the ISI all throughout the war on terror. "Did Raymond Davis, a CIA contractor, fall victim to this misunderstanding (between the CIA and ISI over the war on terror) and has he been released after the problem was sorted out?" asks Ayesha Siddiqa, a well-known Pakistani defence analyst, in a recent newspaper column. She also hints at the possible understanding whereby the CIA will withdraw its focus on Punjab-based jihadi organisations considered friendly by the Pakistani military, e.g. Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM).

If true, this is very bad news for the Pakhtun on both sides of the Durand Line. The people of FATA complain that the Punjabi Taliban linked with these two organisations, and other Punjabi outfits, run the jihad show in FATA. They — who form an overwhelming majority of the militants — physically control the Pakhtun Taliban as well as foreign al Qaeda terrorists. The Americans should know that they have struck an anti-Pakhtun deal, if this is what they have agreed to in lieu of Davis's release. For decades, the people of Pakistan have suffered due to the CIA and ISI's murky ties. These ties have led to the strengthening of Islamist forces, the natural allies of the GHQ in Pakistan. The Davis release deal may be a contribution to these murky ties and may prove to be especially detrimental to the people of FATA, who have suffered only death and destruction since 9/11. Violence in Afghanistan, directed from terrorist centres in FATA, will not ebb as a result of the deal.

It is sickening to see Pakistani TV channels screaming at politicians over Davis's release and failing to grill the sitting Pakistani generals who are the real force behind the release. The media has never had the courage to question the sitting generals over crimes against the Pakhtun and Baloch citizens of Pakistan. The only thing it is good at is humiliating anti-Taliban political parties and the democratic set up in Pakistan.

Pakistan's Islamist political forces — long time allies of the military establishment — are boiling over with anger at Davis's release. Their anger is directed at the spineless PPP-led political government. Ayesha Siddiqa rightly points out that the mighty "GHQ will ensure that this (anger) does not really boil over". This will once again confirm that the GHQ controls the Islamist forces in mainland Pakistan, just as it commands the militants based in FATA. The GHQ may well just direct their anger to chase out the anti-Taliban PPP and ANP from power and accommodate the Islamists in any future political set up of Pakistan.

The writer is a PhD Research Fellow with the University of Oslo and currently writing a book, Taliban and Anti-Taliban

Tronic

Interesting. Do you have any links for that?
Well theres not much on them, but heres one article, though based on Major Sudhir Walia, talks of his missions across.

Major Sudhir went back to counter-insurgency operations, his field of expertise, in Jammu and Kashmir.

He was entrusted with important tasks, which included being sent on special secret missions to Pakistan. "It was not without reason that bhai was chosen for these difficult jobs. He had a flair for languages, he had mastered Persian and Sindhi. He was also an expert in the use of explosives and could easily decode the wireless messages of the militants," disclosed Arun, younger brother of Major Sudhir.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000304/windows/main6.htm

ejazr

Ambassador
The CIA-ISI turf war

The Pakistan-US relationship seems to be headed for a tailspin. It was expected that the release of Raymond Davis from a jail in Pakistan will help to calm down the heightened tensions. The killing of 48 civilians in North Waziristan in a US drone attack has exacerbated the situation; it has also exposed the unnatural nature of the Pak-US alliance. Ironically the high number of deaths which included some tribal elders in a CIA-piloted drone attack occurred the same day when a lower court in Lahore set free the CIA operative. The court order under the Islamic law of Qisas and Diyat — this enables the family of deceased to pardon the killer and accept blood money — disposed off the double murder cases. The detention of Davis had triggered a diplomatic row. While the US claimed that since Davis enjoyed diplomatic immunity he cannot be tried in Pakistan and thereby released, Pakistan, under public pressure, was hesitant in extending the diplomatic cover to the US citizen.

The condemnation of the drone attack by the Pakistani leadership uncharacteristically has been very sharp. The drone attacks inside Pakistan in the past had the tacit understanding of Pakistani military. Till recently the Pakistan army was supportive of these drone strikes. General Officer Commanding 7-Division Major General Ghayur Mehmood while defending the drone attacks had said: "Most of those killed by the US drones were hardcore al-Qaeda and Taliban terrorists and a fairly large number of them were of foreign origin". Moreover according to WikiLeaks Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on August 21, 2008, is reported to have told former US ambassador in Islamabad Anne W Patterson that he "doesn't care if they do it (use drones) as long as they get the right people. Public criticism is just to diffuse the public pressure".

However in a departure from past practice, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has issued a terse statement on the latest drone attack: "It is highly regrettable that a jirga of peaceful citizens, including elders of the area, was carelessly and callously targeted with complete disregard to human life". Indicative of the changed dynamics, Kayani declared that "security of people of Pakistan, in any case stands above all". Following this, Pakistan air force has been put on high alert to counter the drone attacks. Pakistan foreign office also summoned US Ambassador Cameron Munter to lodge its strong protest. Significantly the ambassador was told by the Pakistani foreign secretary Salman Bashir: "It was evident that the fundamentals of our relations need to be revisited. Pakistan should not be taken for granted nor treated as a client state. It was for the White House and the State Department to hold back those who have been trying to veer Pakistan-US relationship away from the track".

Even by the standards of a completely independent country what the Pakistan foreign secretary is reported to have said to the US ambassador is quite blunt. Pakistan overly dependent upon the US sending across a tough message to its patron is immensely surprising. But more surprising is the fact that Pakistan wants to reassert its position and doesn't anymore want to remain the 'client' of America. In the present circumstances wherein Pakistan has very less space available for manoeuvre, it appears that Pakistan is simply bluffing. What pains Pakistan more today is not the fact that drone attacks are bit by bit chiselling away its sovereignty, but a hidden hand trying to derail Pak-US relationship. Salman Bashir's message to US ambassador cannot get anymore starker.

The Raymond Davis affair has virtually been a turf-war between the CIA and the ISI. The US having lost confidence of Pakistan's 'intent' as well as its 'capability' to take on the Taliban inside the country and on its border with Afghanistan, was for sometime quietly enlarging its intelligence networks within Pakistan. This had immensely enraged the ISI. The whipping up of public passions on the Davis issue through a well-orchestrated media campaign was considered to be the handiwork of the ISI; it wanted to regain the lost ground. The release of Raymond Davis is also believed to have taken place only after the CIA and the ISI reached an agreement. In the recent weeks to sort out issues CIA director Leon E Panetta is reported to 'have spoken frequently' to ISI chief Lt General Ahmad Shuja Pasha. The media in Pakistan was agog with reports that in order to garner Davis' release "CIA had agreed to scale back the number of Pakistan operations it conducted without the ISI's consent". Unnamed intelligence sources in Pakistan hinting an agreement also asserted that "Our demand also included to treat us as allies, with trust and respect and not operate behind our backs". However the New York Times quoting American officials has reported that "There was absolutely no quid pro quo between the United States and the Pakistani government". Whatever the truth, the latest drone attack only indicates that the ISI and the CIA are not on the same page, rather they have entered into a phase of open confrontation. According to Pakistani media, by carrying out the latest drone "a smarting CIA wanted to show who still owned the airspace even if many of its on-ground operatives had to rush out of the country." Pakistan in a huff has declined to attend the Pak-Afghan-US trilateral security dialogue scheduled to be held in Brussels later this month. Earlier the trilateral security dialogue was also cancelled by US in a bid to send across a tough massage to Pakistani leadership on the issue of Davis' detention. In reversal of roles Pakistan seems to be paying in the same coin.

The Pak-US relationship is compared to a marriage gone sour, yet separation is not an option; the constraints of time force the diametrically opposite, squabbling couple to live under the same roof. The relationship has unique dynamics; Pakistan may crib over its inferior status and shabby treatment but it is in no position to alter the nature of the relationship. Certainly the United States is a superpower, Pakistan too has proved to be infirm having a freeloading mentality. Cutting greedy deals even at the cost of its honour has pushed its people to view themselves lowly. A renowned Pakistani journalist while lamenting the acceptance of money in lieu of Davis' release began his column with a derogatory quote of an American official: "Pakis can sell their mother for ten dollars." Another renowned columnist going further has challenged the very ideological basis of Pakistan: "The slogan of one people, one nation has proved to be an artificial construct''. This is not self-criticism; it only indicates self-condemnation, a country badly caught in a syndrome of low esteem. Poor countries have risen from the ashes and also prospered. But it is difficult to imagine self-pitying people finding their way out of the morass

[email protected]

Firdous Syed, formerly a separatist, is an analyst based in Kashmir

anoop_mig25

Country flag
arre it still donot know what was deal can anybody tell me what pak army is gaining is it kashmir or some toys for free?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles