Ram or Rama, Yog or Yoga, Krishn or Krishna? Which is right?

parijataka

Country flag
Why are there two different words for the elephant?

Gaj and Hasti (Hathi)
i think it was called paryayavachi shabd i.e. synonyms which we had to mug up in school for example for tree - vriksha, taru, etc

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is the difference between a geet and a ghazal?
Nov 23, 2003, 07.43am IST

There are many forms of shayari (Urdu poetry)— ghazal and nazm ( geet ) are two of them. Geet is a logically evolving poem where each individual verse serves the need of the central concept/theme of the poem.

Ghazal , which means 'talking to women' in Arabic, is basically poetry in praise of a woman. It's a collection of couplets ( shairs or ashaar ) which deal with subjects completely unrelated to each other, yet are complete in themselves. For example: ' Ghar se masjid hai bahut door, chalo yun kar lein; kisi rote hue bachche ko hansaya jaaye .'

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2003-11-23/open-space/27185838_1_geet-urdu-poetry-poem

warriorextreme

Country flag
In sanskrit there is no राम , you can use it in hindi or marathi but in sanskrit it always is राम :

राम : or ramaha is shortened to rama in english
योग : or yogaha is shortened to yoga in english

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
In sanskrit there is no राम , you can use it in hindi or marathi but in sanskrit it always is राम :

राम : or ramaha is shortened to rama in english
योग : or yogaha is shortened to yoga in english
Can you show a place where "राम :" or "योग :" is used as stand alone word?

Can you correctly spell "ह" or ":" in English? Remember the sound of English H in Hindi is "एच" and A is "ऐ" and not "अ"

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It is saṃskṛtam, and that is how it is pronounced in South Indian languages.
That's not the answer.I am not asking how South Indians pronounce Sanskrit.As someone has already said they simply deviate any language into their accent.So whether its Tam/Yum/Yuf/U/A or whatever.

Once again where did Sanskrit originate?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
That's not the answer.I am not asking how South Indians pronounce Sanskrit.As someone has already said they simply deviate any language into their accent.So whether its Tam/Yum/Yuf/U/A or whatever.

Once again where did Sanskrit originate?
I am not sure where Sanskrit originated.
What I was saying is that the name of sanskrit language in sanskrit is "samskrtam" or "samskrta vak" (civilized speech) and that is exactly how it is pronounced in S.I. languages. I thought that is what you were asking.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
What I was saying is that the name of sanskrit language in sanskrit is "samskrtam" or "samskrta vak" (civilized speech) and that is exactly how it is pronounced in S.I. languages. I thought that is what you were asking.
I simply asked the place it originated... that's it.

South Indian versions of Non-South Languages is explained a bit in Post #4

pmaitra

Exactly! This is what I have tried to explain in vain over the years.

samskrtavak
adjectivenoun

When the adjective is used on its own, it behaves like a noun, and the correct term to define it is substantive.

Simple_Guy

A Historical Syntax of Late Middle Indo-Aryan (Apabhraṃśa)

During the 6th-12th c. the gradual erosion of the synthetic morphology of Old Indo-Aryan resulted ultimately in the remodelling of its syntax in the direction of the New Indo-Aryan analytic type.......In any case it appears that Apabhramsa from its beginnings was located in Gujarat, Rajputana and Malwa (contemporary Gujarat, Rajasthan and western Madhya Prades) and thence it spread through the whole of North India

parijataka

Country flag
I simply asked the place it originated... that's it.

South Indian versions of Non-South Languages is explained a bit in Post #4
Well there is N Indian version of mispronunciation as well. An average N Indian would never be able to get around a name like `Mokshagundam Krishnamurthy`, let alone naming his kids in that vein.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Well there is N Indian version of mispronunciation as well. An average N Indian would never be able to get around a name like `Mokshagundam Krishnamurthy`, let alone naming his kids in that vein.
That's right and the North Indian versions are already highlighted by me as well.Post #6

Now if you read carefully we are talking about the correct pronunciation of a native language and not the one which was imported and twisted.The way in which South Indians pronounce their own native language is the correct one in any case and that's same to Sanskrit/Hindi.

The last thing I want people here is to drag this to South Vs North crappy arguments.

btw I found in Patanjali Book that "Yog" is the correct stand alone word and NOT "Yoga".This "a" is the twisted version which is NOT correct in it's original form.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles