Racist attacks on Indians in Australia!

ZOOM

Founding Member
Such a Raciest hate is not uncommon in developed world against Indians, but I was certainly aghast the way such thrashing against soft spoken Indian students in such a ruthless manner. Equaly I was shocked the way Australian Policeman concluded to remain mindful of own saftey without depending on them, just because they cannot ensure security of everyone.

Under such circumstances, an international body like United Nation can play a vital role by mandating major countries which are major destination from Migrating stundents and labours to safeguard their integrity in surest way.

NikSha

I found two "interesting" discussions on these attacks going on in some other forums (must read I believe):

Forum 1

Forum 2

Lot's of aussies, pakistani (disguised as aussie and Indian posters) and even few chinese posters posting.. enjoy.

Rage

DFI TEAM
NikSha, p2prada,

Gentlemen,

Realize that you are in the presence of your own flesh and blood, your own kin. Whatever our differences as to the means, eventually, we all desire the same ends: that is, the well-being of our community and the glory of our Fatherland.

I suggest you retain that in mind in your dealings with each other.

It is a fact that we are more to blame for the transgressions upon our own people than others are: from everything from the violence we inflict upon our own kind within our own nation on the pretext of ludicrously petty issues to a broad-based passive nature handed down to use by our parents in the face of hostility with the intent of staying on the "right side of the law". However, it is also a fact that while these exist, the intimidation and assault of Indian youth abroad is no less a serious issue, and media coverage need not be mutually exclusive - or understood to project one issue and sideline another. Both need redressing.

On a happier note, it seems like the government has finally taken cognizance of the situation - largely, due to the emphasis in our own media and castigation of minister for their indifferent stance on the issue. How much of this is translated into action remains yet to be seen - but it is fo shoa a fitting opportunity for the UPA to demonstrate its resolve and capacity for action - even if it is on a seemingly 'trivial' issue.

What it has done also is to engender a debate Down Under, with the leader of opposition raising the issue with government and the Oz media giving it somewhat extensive coverage.

On an even happier note, it gives me pleasure to inform you, that here in North Amerika, particularly in Vancouver, British Columbia, Hindu and Sikh gangs are increasingly going on the rampage whenever one of their own is targeted.

And the general sentiment of passiveness is slowly but definitively beginning to change.

P.S: p2prada is an old hand whose credentials for the wellbeing of his country and its citizens have never been in doubt. And neither for that matter is the point he raises.

Kool Aid anyone? :D

p2prada

Wow jeez, so much self hatred. Are you trying to "open our eyes" here? Or maybe you are bring the "truth" to the ignorant lot defending Indians being brutalized by racist pricks overseas?

In India nobody will have an "answer" to what? No offense but that's retarded, your post has nothing at all to do with Indians defending Indians against racist fucks in other countries. What next? You are going to guilt trip us into accepting our "place" in front of our superior white masters by telling how barbaric us Indians are?

Hey guys, India, the third world (still progressing) nation.. the biggest democracy with shitload of religions (and extremist crap that comes with them is) has crime. Now that you know we have crime let's spend time finding answers to retarded questions and forget defending other Indians being killed or beaten by the superior race abroad. [/sarc]

PS: What Indian media is doing is something worthwhile for a change, if you still don't get it. Ratings or no ratings at least it is better than self loathing citizens painting pathetic picture of their own motherland. Now THAT'S sad.
Nope. But, I find it appalling that slum kids dying is less important than a mugging in Australia. We need to clean up our homes too. We are more culturally racist than anybody on this planet.

The Indians in Australia have the education, money, political clout, influence that will aid them. The Australian justice system is excellent. They don't need you to come support them from a 1000 miles away.

Ratings or no ratings at least it is better than self loathing citizens painting pathetic picture of their own motherland. Now THAT'S sad.
What's sad is calling an entire country racist for isolated incidents.
All that racism crap is just our colonial mentality. We are still living 50 years ago with an impression that the White guy is always out to get us. I have been with enough of these white guys to know that the only people we like to see are the Bal Thackreys and Pramod Mutaliks of the White world. Same as how the White guys like to see our slums or the terrorists in Afghanistan. It all boils down to stereotyping.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
i have aussie colluges here and to tell you a fact they are the Best guys you can get as for this racist attack it is quite sad but they are part and parcle of human sociteies since eternity we can't help it

" be careful of what you do for it can have huge Impact on how people see you,your society and Your Motherland "

S.A.T.A

The role of the media ,esp Indian media,has come under intense scrutiny during the entire episode.Although in an entirely different context,the current debate is reminiscent of the controversial Indian cricket teams tour of Australia some ties back.At the time what was seemingly a tragic coincidence of officiating errors and on/off field exchanges,which may or may not have involved all Australians,quickly turned into no holds bar debate on Indian,Australians and racism and almost brought the two govts to blows.

Are the Aussies too prickly about their international reputation,which has been long shadowed by their whites only immigration policy.Australians have [particularly taken affront to the wall to wall coverage given to this incident and racist inferences that have been ascribed to it.This was again ditto with what happened during the Cricket series controversy.

Ina manner of speaking this also reflects the growing clout of the Indian electronic media to shape mass opinion,nationally and internationally.Pakistanis where the first to feel its brunt.Australians felt the full weight of the resurgent Media during the cricket series,the feeling in down under is,as it was during the test series,that Indian media was creating a mountain out of a molehill.The power Indian media wields is unmistakable

The crux of the matter is,western societies(we can safely include Aussies among them)do not like to be judged on the same socio-cultural scale as they judge others.especially when it involves a country like India,whose merit in this case cannot be completely faulted.

P.S:recently tennis Australia was forced to forfeit a tie against India in the Davis cup,which allowed India to go to the next around uncontested,because tennis Australia would not play the tie in India because of security concerns,allegedly India was unsafe for Australian tennis players.i wonder what tennis Australia would have to say now.My guess they will repeat verbatim what Indian Tennis federation had said to convince India was safe..

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
as an old member of the international comunity the Aussie goverment needs to pull its socks up and fight this racisit thing but then all western countries have this problem even we ourselves are not immune from it but such extrems and the incompetence of the AP to carry out its duty without an bais is extermly worrying

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Assaults on Indian students a problem: Stephen Smith

Melbourne (IANS): Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith has termed the attacks on Indian students a "problem" and assured that the government would do everything to prevent further assaults.

"We have a particular current problem with Indian students," Smith told Network Ten.

"We're doing everything that we can, both with the Indian community in Australia and India itself ... but also working very closely with the relevant state authorities," he said.

Smith's comments came amid outrage and concern in India at the wave of allegedly racist attacks on Indian students, the Sydney Herald reported.

The issue has been discussed at the diplomatic level with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh speaking to his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd and urging him to take all possible steps to ensure the security of Indians in Australia.

The Australian government has assured India that a slew of steps, including increased patrolling and setting up of a hotline, have been taken to ensure the safety of over 80,000 Indian students in the country.

Smith said Australia was trying to bring the attackers to justice and ensure a safe environment for all international students.

"Australia generally has low crime and violence rates," he said.

Four attacks have taken place on Indian students. While a petrol bomb was thrown at an Indian student in Sydney last Sunday, three attacks took place in Melbourne.

One student, Sravan Kumar Theerthala, who was attacked in Melbourne last Sunday with a screwdriver, is battling for life at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Another student Baljinder Singh was stabbed outside a railway station. He is recuperating at home. A third student, Sourabh Sharma, was viciously assaulted in a train May 9.

The Hindu News Update Service

NikSha

Nope. But, I find it appalling that slum kids dying is less important than a mugging in Australia. We need to clean up our homes too. We are more culturally racist than anybody on this planet.
Alright, please point me to an article in Indian media or some sort of mass-protest against government doing ANYTHING to save "slum kids dying" (seen slumdog a bit too much, eh?). Did some Indians start a Facebook group protesting government spending tax payer's money on teaching those slum kids how to read and write all for free? NEWSFLASH: India is a developing country with majority of population livining below poverty line.

Indians know what the reality is, no one is THAT ignorant. We are here, progressing steadily and in a few years, when we all aren't so "poor" maybe the government, which is ALREADY spending crores every year educating those slum kids, feeding them with free meals (my mum is a government teacher, I know how much money they waste and how much of their schemes actually work in the end..) or offering 1 lakh to the female kids who complete their high-school education (recent scheme).. can do something that satisfies you in the end? (btw, I still don't see people out on the streets protesting this 1 lakh scheme)

Isn't that more than enough you would expect a third world democracy plagued with corruption, extremist disease AND nations supporting terrorism is doing? Unless you actually think that holding rallies and showing support for slum kids (which most Indians do) by average citizen is the way to helping those "dying kids".. which it isn't btw.. You can't just go around handing cash to poor people and expect them to improve their lives. You need to educate them first, which the government is doing. You really don't expect everything to turn around in a day, do you?

The Australian justice system is excellent. They don't need you to come support them from a 1000 miles away.
I am sure it is excellent, the best there ever was. I am just worried about the fact that these attacks have been going on for so long and according to one of the victims how after most such attacks the report is filed and quietly hushed under the table. I guess those Indians need more connections to get justice (or even heard by the media there). Talking about media, remember the "monkey-gate" episode with Symonds and the amount of media coverage it got there? Now go visit those same sites and see the type of coverage these attacks are getting compared to here in India media.

What's sad is calling an entire country racist for isolated incidents.
All that racism crap is just our colonial mentality. We are still living 50 years ago with an impression that the White guy is always out to get us. I have been with enough of these white guys to know that the only people we like to see are the Bal Thackreys and Pramod Mutaliks of the White world. Same as how the White guys like to see our slums or the terrorists in Afghanistan. It all boils down to stereotyping.
Oh my bad. I didn't know that calling every Indian ignorant, slum kids killer (indirectly), depicting Indians as some mass rapists of sort and calling our media extremely biased when they actually do their job more than any other media out there (as far as I am concerned) isn't stereotyping and sad.

It's almost if you disapprove of those Indians attacked bringing this issue up.

PS: The issue was Indians being the victims of racism. I like how you turned it into "Indians hate white people" since your first post. I am sorry but I just don't see your post as being on-topic from any angle. India may be a poor and caste ridden society but in the end, I don't see us hurling petrol bombs at foreigners, ganging up and beating them just for the laughs and media sitting nice and quite about such attacks in the end. When THAT starts happening, maybe I will start feeling sorry for our country. Right now, I am damn proud of who I am and will prefer staying "ignorant" (well, since you said we are anyway) since I don't like they way "informed" people like you act about these issues.

S.A.T.A

Continuing to scrutinize the role of the mainstream media,has the lessons international power hierarchy,known to every mandarin at the south block,made its way to editorial boards.This was relayed to be when i interacted with an Aussie over this issue.Is the Indian media picking on the Aussies

Would the Indian electronic media take the case of hundreds of legal Indian workers living in labour camps,which are no better than refugee camps,set in inhospitable conditions,often in the searing desert.Its not that media has completely ignored this,but most of the coverage have been done by kerala's local media.But what about the national media.

Since the national media cannot be accused of class discrimination,could there be some other reason.Does the nature of Indo-UAE economic relations somehow allow the govt of the emirates escape the chastisement of the Indian electronic media.What about the incidents involving fatal shooting of Indian students in USA or for that matter reports of uber nationalists violence against Indians in Europe(Russia for instance)

So was the Australian right,that we are picking on Australia because its a fair game.

Rage

DFI TEAM
'Race' attacks spark Indian rally

12:02 GMT, Sunday, 31 May 2009 13:02 UK

The students want action from police to prevent further attacks

May 31, 2009: At least 2,000 Indian students and supporters have rallied in Australia to protest against violent attacks which they say are racially motivated.

In one of the recent attacks in Melbourne, a student was critically injured by a screwdriver.
There have been more than 70 assaults in the past year, with at least four in the past fortnight.

Police have denied any racial motivation, saying the students were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

They have said the crimes were "opportunistic", with Indian students seen as "soft targets".
Indian students tend to travel on their own, late at night - either from study or employment - and carry valuable items such as laptops and phones, Victorian Police deputy commissioner Kieran Walshe said.

Education destination

But the students and Indian officials have demanded action, including more police at train stations and other problem areas.

The students' union, which organised the march, has also called on the Indian government to declare Australia an unsafe destination for Indian students if the attacks continue.

There are thought to be about 90,000 Indian students studying at Australian universities.

Bollywood star

The march began at the hospital where an injured Indian student is battling for his life.
Sravan Kumar Theerthala, 25, was stabbed with a screwdriver a week ago.

The protest was described as largely peaceful, although the Melbourne Age website showed photos of damage to a main train station after some protesters reportedly threw missiles.

The issue has attracted prominent media coverage in India - prompting the Indian government to convey its concern in high-level meetings with Australian officials.

One of India's leading film stars, Amitabh Bachchan, turned down an honorary degree from Queensland University of Technology, saying he could not accept the it under the current circumstances.

"My conscience is profoundly unsettled at the moment" by the events, he wrote on his website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8075855.stm

NikSha

So was the Australian right,that we are picking on Australia because its a fair game.
Heh, I remember reading few articles on those "camps" in HT (that's mainstream). Indian media is fair AND biased. Depends on which country in the end cause the most problem for Indians. Aussies and their media have been a big issue esp. cause of Cricket around here. Now something big like continuous racist attacks one after another is of course going to become fodder for media.

BTW, did anyone notice how Indian media actually covered what Australian media was doing even in Bhajji's racism scandal? They covered it fair (though with sarcastic tone) enough on TV and papers showing what they were reporting while compared to Australian media, which was busy claiming how Indian media is lying to the world and god knows what (ignoring the real issue).

Media plays a big part in shaping opinions everywhere in this world. But Indian media is reporting what is right, sure they haven't given same coverage to EVERYONE in the world but who are you most concerned about in the end? Hell, who is an average middle class Indian concerned about the most? Some workers who legally left their country to work as slaves in other countries or a bunch of bright young students who are the future of India and represent that average middle-class Indian in the end?

I think the choice is already made here. We are no US, we can only pick the best of the lot and go with it.

/opinion

S.A.T.A

Hell, who is an average middle class Indian concerned about the most? Some workers who legally left their country to work as slaves in other countries or a bunch of bright young students who are the future of India and represent that average middle-class Indian in the end?
Your bunch of bright students are more likely to seek permanent residence at the place of their education and never look back at his country.The worker in the desert sends most of his money back home in remittance( almost 20%of the state GDP),which goes a long way in sustaining the middle class lifer style of the so called average middle class person in Cochin or Thiruvananthapuram.

Since now you are talking about positively discriminating between a average 'bright' student and poor indian bread earned settled abroad,what right do you have to talk about racial discrimination.

NikSha

Your bunch of bright students are more likely to seek permanent residence at the place of their education and never look back at his country.The worker in the desert sends most of his money back home in remittance( almost 20%of the state GDP),which goes a long way in sustaining the middle class lifer style of the so called average middle class person in Cochin or Thiruvananthapuram.

Since now you are talking about positively discriminating between a average 'bright' student and poor indian bread earned settled abroad,what right do you have to talk about racial discrimination.
It still won't concern the middle class or the media (who is pro-middle class). Discrimination amongst rich and poor exists even in the so called "developed countries". We aren't special. You can deny it all you want but media will pay more heed to rich people over poor. Unless of course there are 1500 farmers committing suicide in masses. That becomes interesting enough for media.

Seeking permanent residence won't affect how the news is reported. Only you have to qualify in one of these to be reported by media:

1) Middle Class

2) Minority (but not poor)

Pretty much a fact if you observe the media everyday (and like you said, those people in camps go unreported). I may be wrong, it's just a guess in the end, it's not like I am claiming these to be facts (and no, I am not some rich guy as well, couldn't care less about religion being agnostic-athiest myself).

PS: On the side note, racism has nothing to do with discrimination based on wealth in the end. So that has nothing to do with me speaking against racism or anything else, tbh. No offense meant to anyone.

S.A.T.A

So why all the pretense of righteous indignation over this supposed racist attacks.your indifference to fellow poor Indians is no different to Australian response to these racist attacks.

If we cant introspect ourselves,lets not blame Aussies either.

I was merely commenting on the nature of the national medias response to critical social issues and the embedded hypocrisy.

NikSha

So why all the pretense of righteous indignation over this supposed racist attacks.your indifference to fellow poor Indians is no different to Australian response to these racist attacks.

If we cant introspect ourselves,lets not blame Aussies either.

I was merely commenting on the nature of the national medias response to critical social issues and the embedded hypocrisy.
What IS hypocrisy is the Indians pretending to care about dying kids and poor country men in random camps and at the same time complaining about people defending Indians who are the victims of racist attacks. If those camps were reported this way I am sure everyone would've reacted the same way. I merely posted an opinion on what happens, not a fact. It's upto you to decide what is true or not.

I'll be honest with you, I still don't get it. Why are Indians busy blaming the Indian media? Why bring up "ignored" issues. Will it please you all if the media just shuts its trap and let the racist attack go? Is that what you all want? Tit for tat? Poor man got it so the evil middle class kids deserve it as well?

I think I am beginning to agree with the apologists. Why fight it? Let's keep on over-analyzing the situation, bring in random equations about camps and media bias, ignore the victims and search for inner peace and some deeper meaning of life. Us INDIANS ARE TO BLAME. With all these religious wars and evil poor vs rich discrimination, which never happens in the developed world btw, we should feel sorry for the Aussies who had to take the pain to beat some students. We should've offered to help. That should keep us happy.

BRB, going to buy some sand to bury my head into. Oh and if anyone's interested, I heard that India is spending billions buying useless stuff like AWACS. I blame the military. That money could've been spent improving the lives of random poor slumdogs. Let's discuss that next. :bye:

S.A.T.A

What IS hypocrisy is the Indians pretending to care about dying kids and poor country men in random camps and at the same time complaining about people defending Indians who are the victims of racist attacks. If those camps were reported this way I am sure everyone would've reacted the same way. I merely posted an opinion on what happens, not a fact. It's upto you to decide what is true or not.

I'll be honest with you, I still don't get it. Why are Indians busy blaming the Indian media? Why bring up "ignored" issues. Will it please you all if the media just shuts its trap and let the racist attack go? Is that what you all want? Tit for tat? Poor man got it so the evil middle class kids deserve it as well?

I think I am beginning to agree with the apologists. Why fight it? Let's keep on over-analyzing the situation, bring in random equations about camps and media bias, ignore the victims and search for inner peace and some deeper meaning of life. Us INDIANS ARE TO BLAME. With all these religious wars and evil poor vs rich discrimination, which never happens in the developed world btw, we should feel sorry for the Aussies who had to take the pain to beat some students. We should've offered to help. That should keep us happy.

BRB, going to buy some sand to bury my head into. Oh and if anyone's interested, I heard that India is spending billions buying useless stuff like AWACS. I blame the military. That money could've been spent improving the lives of random poor slumdogs. Let's discuss that next. :bye:
Where hypocrisy is inherent there is complete lack of honesty.what is not honest can neither be fair nor unbiased.For me all the mortal rage and indignation displayed by some members here and on national television was nothing short of self constructed deceit.

All the anger was not because there was a victim of an attack lying in the hospital,perhaps battling for his life,but at the so called statements of denial that this was a racist attack.The national media attempt to foster the racist tag on the entire incident was as dishonest as the Australian attempt to disown this.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Hi everyone,

I have so far refrained from commenting on this, but here's my take on this. Some of you make not like it, but anyways, feel free to disagree.

Facts
1. Attacks have happened. Many in the past and these ones now.
2. Indians were attacked. Racial abuses were hurled.
3. Racism exists, not only in Australia, but also in most places in the world.

Extension: Attacks were "Racially Motivated".

My Point:
The attackers have hurled racial abuses. Now when there is an attack of this kind, the attackers always abuse the victim. They may do so based on physical characteristics, or religion or race, or any other feature, whatever they find. It may be something like "Fat F**k", or "Damn N*gg**" or whatever. This doesn't mean that the attack is "racially motivated". Motive may be a mugging or robbery or just plain perversion.
The question is that have the students faced racial discrimination in general? In public offices, or in public places in everyday life? The answer as far as I know is NO.
Just because a few racial abuses have been hurled, this doesn't make it a racial attack.

What proof is there that the attacks were racially motivated? Don't white Australians ever get mugged? If they are, do the attackers not use abusive words? Just because the victim was Indian and a racist abuse was hurled doesn't make the attack racist.

Conclusion:
Yes, we definitely know that this is a major law and order problem, but whether it is racist or not remains to be verified.

My 2c.

NikSha

What proof is there that the attacks were racially motivated? Don't white Australians ever get mugged? If they are, do the attackers not use abusive words? Just because the victim was Indian and a racist abuse was hurled doesn't make the attack racist.
One student who didn't have any money to give to the attackers was beaten up and then racially abused. There were other white passengers on the train as well, if those attackers were after money, why didn't they bother attacking other passengers and asking for money after they were done beating the Indian?

Are Australians getting mugged sent into coma and racially abused while the media makes sure no one hears of the attacks and the police never bothers doing anything about the case? Well if that's the case then.. damn, I don't think being "racist" is the only problem Australia has..

Also, these aren't the only racist attacks, these are the most advertised but no one said these are the only one. Read the comments posted by Indians living in Australia about the daily abuse they face (you can find it in sites like TOI under these articles). Somehow I doubt it that they are all lying. It's hard to fight back when you aren't majority.

PS: Yeah I know, not everyone in Australia is racist and all. Just an FYI.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles