Racist attacks on Indians in Australia!

johnee

500 cases of assault on Indian students in the past six months

A senior diplomat at the High Commission told ET that in the last six months, there have been 500 cases of assault on Indian students, registered by the police authorities across Australia. There are fears that such incidents of muggings, theft, racial abuse, car jackings and even murder are on the increase because of the economic meltdown and loss of jobs.

In fact, the Australian government’s $3.5-million campaign to attract Indian students-in an effort to combat recession-could remain a non-starter if the issue of racial attacks is not addressed. An estimated 95,000 Indian students joined Australian institutions of higher education in the first 11 months of 2008.
"Most of the instructions issued by the authorities are quite ridiculous. They have asked Indian students not to make a display of wealth including items such as laptops

. Most university campuses make it compulsory for students to use laptops. We don't see too much of positive developments coming out of the police reference groups. In fact, we are quite disappointed with the Indian High Commission's inaction as well," says Gautam Gupta

johnee

Indians Facing Attacks

In the US of A

For the last few years, there has been a spate of killings of Indians in the US of A. The important part is these incidents is the common factors: -

1. Most of thee victims are from Andhra Pradesh (in India) – which sends the largest numbers of techies and students from India.
2. All the seven victims were students or young tech workers.
3. These have happened with regularity. Every 45-75 days.
4. None of these students had any criminal record or involvement in any criminal activity or groups.

Seven murders in 15 months is too many to be a co-incidence.

Pintu

India calls for swift action against attacks in Australia - India - The Times of India

India calls for swift action against attacks in Australia

30 May 2009, 0908 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: As incidents of violence against its students in Australia continue unabated, an angry India called upon authorities in that country to take swift measures to stop the atrocity.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raised the issue with his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd. The Australian PM had called Singh to congratulate him for having taken over again as prime minister, but that did not prevent Singh from taking up the issue with him.

While Rudd assured Singh that Australian authorities were doing their best to prevent such attacks, foreign ministry summoned Australian high commissioner John McCarthy to express its anguish over rising incidents of violence against Indians.

On Friday, another attack on an Indian student was reported, this time from Sydney in New South Wales.

McCarthy was called by secretary (east) in the MEA N Ravi to convey India's concern over the attacks. Sources said it was conveyed to McCarthy in no uncertain terms that it was the responsibility of Australian authorities to ensure safety of Indian students.

"It was conveyed to the Australian high commissioner that continuing sense of unease and insecurity for Indian students in Australia can have an adverse effect, in a sector that holds much promise. Certain steps that the Australian side could take, in addition to those that they have initiated, were also discussed and conveyed to the high commissioner," said the MEA in a statement.

"We are worried about the safety of Indian citizens, particularly the students," foreign minister S M Krishna said later. He too raised the issue with Australian foreign minister Stephen Smith when he called up Krishna to congratulate him. Krishna said the Indian government was in constant touch with Australian authorities "with a view to addressing issues concerning the well-being and physical safety of our students".

In his conversation with Singh, Rudd assured him that an overwhelming majority of Indian students were safe and that he was taking the issue very seriously.

Responding to attacks on Australian students, overseas Indian affairs minister Vayalar Ravi said, "We will be getting a report from the Australian high commissioner. My immediate task is to set up an institutional mechanism to deal with such incidents."

McCarthy said after his meeting with MEA officials that the attacks appeared more like criminal activity than racist. He said Australia has been taking a number of measures to "diminish" the prospects of such attacks taking place in the future. McCarthy said his discussion officials in the ministry had with him was "absolutely justified" and he would convey those views to authorities in Australia.

In a fresh incident of attack, 25-year-old Rajesh Kumar suffered 30% burns after a petrol bomb was hurled at his home in Sydney.

Australia on Friday arrested five teenagers in connection with the recent assaults on Indian students and charged one of them with attempted murder. A 17-year-old boy was charged with attempted murder after four Indian students, including 25-year-old Sravan Kumar, were attacked by gatecrashers at a party here over the weekend, Victorian police said, adding another 18-year-old was quizzed in relation to the assault, but has since been released. Kumar remains critical.

The arrests came after Indian High Commissioner Sujata Singh said the spate of assaults targeting Indian students in Australia have to "stop now'' and asserted that racism was a factor in some of the incidents.

"The fact of the matter is that whatever the motive behind the attacks, they seem to be Indian students. There is a racist element in some of the attacks but many of the attacks are opportunistic,'' she said.

Singh, along with the Consul General in Melbourne, had detailed meetings, with the Premier of the State of Victoria, John Brumby, and other ministers - as also police officials on Thursday. Brumby himself said that Victoria alone received 47,000 students last year from India and "it's paramount that their education experience and life experience in our state is positive''.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said he was horrified at the attacks but defended the police response. "Any act of violence, any decent human being just responds with horror at the sorts of attack which have occurred recently...but the key thing is to make sure our law enforcement authorities are doing the best they can. I am confident they are,'' he was quoted as saying by the AFP.

Education minister Julia Gillard said on Friday that the Australian government will not tolerate victimisation and violence against international students. "I can assure you that the perpetrators of recent attacks in both Sydney and Melbourne will face the full force of the law and I will be working closely with the Victorian and New South Wales State Governments to ensure every effort is made to minimise the possibility of such attacks in the future,'' said the minister.

Pintu

An appeal :

Dear Sailor, this thread is not directed against the Australians, and from my part I can assure you that no member here intend to racially abuse you, and it is against the forum rule and strictly monitored by the Respected Moderators and Administrators of this site, in many cases abusive comments were deleted irrespective of nationality , and I personally feel that cowardice , in human act by the fraction of a thriving society can not represent the society as a 'Whole' . I request to both Johnee and Sailor as they both are my friends and on my friendship list, please stop arguments , as the thread simply taking to an ugly turn. Sailor, I want you to remain in this forum as our best friend.

Regards

johnee

An old but interesting article by an Aussie about racism in Australia.

Wake up Australia, racism is a problem

the man who got caught revealing the unwitting racism that infuses not only Australian cricketing culture but mainstream Australia.
Racism in Australia is insidious, unadmitted. We have few proud racists.
By raising this, one risks being labelled politically-correct and a troublemaker. Three years ago, when India toured Australia, I interviewed Indian-Australians who were supporting India.......
........more pungent reason for those Indian flags at the Sydney Cricket Ground was that fathers resented the exclusion of their sons from local and school teams. Every family I interviewed had a story of a boy who had been shut out of the "in" group because of his race, or his teetotalism, or some other cultural difference.
When I wrote about the Indians who felt shut out of Australian cricket, I was taken to task for "inventing" trouble where none existed. Yet I'd seen racism with my own eyes. On a tour to India, I heard two Australian cricketers call the locals "******s". I saw Australian cricketers coming across Indians sleeping on a railway platform in Jamshedpur and nudging them awake with their feet in order to take a happy snap.
· Malcolm Knox is a former chief cricket correspondent for the Sydney Morning Herald and is the author of the novel Summerland, published in the UK by Picador.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
MOD notification:

the thread stands open after moderation and will be heavily moderated hence forth. there are certain members who have taken things beyond a certain point and their act is being closely monitored who will be put across a pm in due course of time. to every one who wants to post on the thread, be sure you are on the right side of the rules or else there will be stern actions awaiting. hope to see every one clam down here, not get personal about the issue and certainly not make sweeping generalisation statements.

thanks, and please continue discussing.

Pintu

You are right, we are above racism:sarcastic:

We just believe in other forms of discrimination
What I've said that yes we are above racism against any foreign national and I firmly believe in my point and will stick to that , yes discrimination is a slur and it is common in every where. But I can not see as per my knowledge goes that the Foreign Persons are racially being abused here, or they are being discriminated 'in other forms'.

Regards

vish

Pintu:

I have personally seen Africans being heckled/sneered/name-called in many places in Mumbai. The same heckling/sneering is never seen for people with white skin.

Pintu

Dear Vish,

If that is fact, I condemn it from my heart and what I tried to mean with Foreign Nationals are from First World Countries, I intentionally avoided and will avoid skin colour as it again may inflame the whole thread.

Regards

vish

Pintu:

The point is racism exists everywhere in all countries, including India. That's all I wanted to say. No offence meant.

Pintu

Pintu:

The point is racism exists everywhere in all countries, including India. That's all I wanted to say. No offence meant.

I agree with you Vish and understood that when I read your post . It is a bitter truth.

Regards

johnee

Pintu:

But the difference between different nations comes in their Govt, Media, and the majority of ppl react to racism, especially if violence is involved. Some guys here are quick to do a equal equal on Oz and India but they forget a similar attack in India would have made our media(forget the foreigner ones) to go berserk, they would have portrayed it as a national shame.

And in Australia, it is not just some sneering/jeering going on but, violence with racial overtones.

The following article may shed some light.

20 attacks on Indians in Sydney in a month

There have been at least 20 incidents of "curry bashing" in Sydney in the past month, but most attacks on Indian students went unreported out of fear, a community leader has revealed.
So, guys lets not underestimate these attacks as some random happenings and plz lets not equate them to anything that happens in India. This is much bigger and much worse.

vish

But the difference between different nations comes in their Govt, Media, and the majority of ppl react to racism, especially if violence is involved. Some guys here are quick to do a equal equal on Oz and India but they forget a similar attack in India would have made our media(forget the foreigner ones) to go berserk, they would have portrayed it as a national shame.
I believe the reaction would have been largely the same, unless and until of course people with white skin are involved. Then, it's a free-for-all orgy of drama.

I have spoken to Africans who come to study or work here, and trust me they are discriminated against by one and all. Heckling/pushing is common too. And this is Mumbai I'm talking about.

I'm not equating Australia with India; I'm saying that both countries have their own sh*t to clean-up.

And in Australia, it is not just some sneering/jeering going on but, violence with racial overtones.

The following article may shed some light.

20 attacks on Indians in Sydney in a month
I'll agree with you on the fact that such racial attacks are not seen in India, at least I'm unaware of any.

But to say that there is no racism in India, as was the implication in the tone of many posts in this thread, is BS and half.

So, guys lets not underestimate these attacks as some random happenings and plz lets not equate them to anything that happens in India. This is much bigger and much worse.
Nobody is doing that, and I'm certain not even Sailor. But you simply do not extend the prejudice to cover every Australian.

MOD EDIT: Please use the words correctly or use acronyms.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ I agree with Amitabh's decision. The Aussi government has to be more active and be seen to take it more seriously than they have so far.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles