Putin Approves Sale of S-400 to China

p2prada

Are you saying that India will get "S-500" around 2016/17?

1. S-500 is nowhere but your dream.
2. Russian will have not enough S-400 ,even for Russian army by 2016/2017.
3. Further more, what is "India's current system"? Is that system better than HQ-9?
DRDO forced cancellation of the armed forces requirement for both Patriot and S-300PMU-2 in the early 2000s because they promised them a system that is superior to the S-300PMU2. Thus no deal materialized from either the Russians or the Americans for a BMD. We did not go for the Arrow-2 BMD either, which was available at the time. Instead we decided to use the Arrow-2's tracking radar and built our own radar based on that called Swordfish. It's radar range is 600 Km against a cricket ball sized target. Based on the Swordfish we built 2 SAM systems called AAD and PAD which have already undergone multiple tests and is currently being deployed in Delhi and Mumbai. The scientists say the system has surpassed both PAC-3 and S-300 class systems. With the induction of a new missile called PDV, we will achieve equivalency with THAAD and S-400.

What differentiates our BMD with S-400 is the missile called 40N6, which has an engagement altitude of 180Km. PDV is expected to have an engagement altitude of 150+ Km, according to DRDO officials. THAAD also engages missiles at altitudes of 150 Km. Our current BMD of the S-300 class stops missiles at 80 Km altitude.

This was phase-1 of the BMD where missiles of the 2.5 Km/s class can be stopped. These are primarily meant to stop all the Pakistani missiles and SRBM/MRBMs of China. AAD/PAD and PDV SAMs are part of phase-1 and this phase was officially completed last year.

The next phase is the phase-2 of the BMD where missiles of the 5 Km/s class will be stopped, that's missiles with ranges of 5000Km. In this project, the Swordfish's range will be increased to 1500 Km. Two new SAMs will be developed, called AD-1 and AD-2. This will be our S-500 equivalent system.

Btw, we are not buying S-500. We are deploying a S-300/400 class system today and are developing a S-500 class system and deploy it by 2017. So, regardless of what Russia is doing, our plans are completely independent. The BMD is one of the few major successes of the Indian military industry.

This should give you some clues of what I am talking about.
India Signals Ballistic Missile Defence Will Be In Place Soon

CCP

DRDO forced cancellation of the armed forces requirement for both Patriot and S-300PMU-2 in the early 2000s because they promised them a system that is superior to the S-300PMU2. Thus no deal materialized from either the Russians or the Americans for a BMD. We did not go for the Arrow-2 BMD either, which was available at the time. Instead we decided to use the Arrow-2's tracking radar and built our own radar based on that called Swordfish. It's radar range is 600 Km against a cricket ball sized target. Based on the Swordfish we built 2 SAM systems called AAD and PAD which have already undergone multiple tests and is currently being deployed in Delhi and Mumbai. The scientists say the system has surpassed both PAC-3 and S-300 class systems. With the induction of a new missile called PDV, we will achieve equivalency with THAAD and S-400.

What differentiates our BMD with S-400 is the missile called 40N6, which has an engagement altitude of 180Km. PDV is expected to have an engagement altitude of 150+ Km, according to DRDO officials. THAAD also engages missiles at altitudes of 150 Km. Our current BMD of the S-300 class stops missiles at 80 Km altitude.

This was phase-1 of the BMD where missiles of the 2.5 Km/s class can be stopped. These are primarily meant to stop all the Pakistani missiles and SRBM/MRBMs of China. AAD/PAD and PDV SAMs are part of phase-1 and this phase was officially completed last year.

The next phase is the phase-2 of the BMD where missiles of the 5 Km/s class will be stopped, that's missiles with ranges of 5000Km. In this project, the Swordfish's range will be increased to 1500 Km. Two new SAMs will be developed, called AD-1 and AD-2. This will be our S-500 equivalent system.

Btw, we are not buying S-500. We are deploying a S-300/400 class system today and are developing a S-500 class system and deploy it by 2017. So, regardless of what Russia is doing, our plans are completely independent. The BMD is one of the few major successes of the Indian military industry.

This should give you some clues of what I am talking about.
India Signals Ballistic Missile Defence Will Be In Place Soon
Any link or video for the thing you were talking about?

bose

Country flag
You clearly do not know what you are saying.

So you tell me what you think HQ-9 and S-300 are.
He / She are a 25 cents Chinese troll... His / Her common punch line is show video or give a link... full of mistrusts... too lazy to Google"¦

shiphone

Country flag
1.S300PMU / PMU1 / PMU2 and HQ9 in PLAAF service are the area Air Defence system with limited BMD ability....their main targets are : Winged flying objects within atmosphere...

2.so called S400 used to be called as S300PMU3...this is the "natural" evolution of the S-300P family of SAM systems, not something revolutionary...The label S-400 is essentially marketing---and the key development of this varient --the new improved missile hasn't show itself..

3.PLAAF are operating more than 100 SAM Battalions including 4 units of S300PMU,8 units of S300 PMU1 and 15 units of 300PMU2( totaling 27 units of S300 serial)...the number of HQ9 Battalions is about the same(PLAAF gets 2 or 3 new HQ9 Battalion each year)...except some SRSAM units like HQ-6(20Km level,also known as HQ64, the export varient is LY60), HQ-7( export varient FM80/90) and some HQ-12 MRSAM (40-50KM level, the export varient is KS1/1A ), PLAAF are still operating more than 30 battlions of 'old' HQ-2 (based on S200) SAM...
----------------------------------------------------
so..

1. these old SAM(HQ-2) need the replacement and As we know, PLAAF is also expanding his AD force ---the number of SAM battalions is increasing ,that's one reason why S400 is coming...HQ-9's deploying pace has slowed down to wait the new varient.

2. as we know ,PLAAF is satisfied with the S300P serial performace,and S400 is a better varient of S300P serial ...we are operating a certain scale of this SAM sys (expanding S300 units is not short of any experienced personal )

3. As I said before, this is also a political trade(Arm deal between the nations is always the political one), two lonely giants are standing 'back to back' to balance the only Superpower and its vassal countries ...and trade imbalance between Russia and China need some compensation. and Russian is unwilling to sell Natural Resources only ...PLA tri service are operating a large scale of Russian Weapon Sys and imports quite a sum of missiles for yearly combat unit test fire consumption and rebuilding the reserve...(BTW, that's why China is on the top list of arms trade every year. quite a lot of Russian missiles is the macrocephalic share)--S300, SA-n-12, tor-m1, R77,R73, SS-N-22. etc...

-------------------------
china's BMD ability building is another thing...obviously S400 won't play any key role in this system.. don't waste your time on that news report...

Last edited:

p2prada

2.so called S400 used to be called as S300PMU3...this is the "natural" evolution of the S-300P family of SAM systems, not something revolutionary...The label S-400 is essentially marketing
Not true. The S-300P is not significantly different from S-300PMU-2 but there is a huge difference between S-300PMU-2 and S-400.

Designations have always been marketing terms for export products, but if you go deeper, you will still notice a much more comprehensive upgrade path in comparison to S-300PMU-1 to S-300PMU-2 upgrade. S-400 adds the 40N6 which allows greater engagement envelope outside the atmosphere and that gives it an entirely different capability compared to S-300PMU-2.

A rough comparison between S-300/400 and Indian BMD, Indian BMD lacks a MRSAM like 9M96 family which is actually Barak-2 equivalent and will be added much later along with a tier III system against artillery and rockets. Indian BMD's current version is comparable to S-300PMU-2 with AAD and PAD, but if we add a missile like 40N6 to it, it will become equivalent to the S-400, and that missile will be the one to be tested this week, called PDV.

china's BMD ability building is another thing...obviously S400 won't play any key role in this system.. don't waste your time...
Outside of India, you will need mid-course BMD. Something that we don't need right now.

Anyway, this deal could be related to the replacement of the S-300P and S-300PMU-1.

Too bad DRDO scuttled induction of S-300/PAC-3 types systems early on. The Americans scuttled Arrow-2 inductions.

shiphone

Country flag
S-400 adds the 40N6 which allows greater engagement envelope outside the atmosphere and that gives it an entirely different capability compared to S-300PMU-2.
sorry ,before your quoting ,I just added something to my earlier post
2.so called S400 used to be called as S300PMU3...this is the "natural" evolution of the S-300P family of SAM systems, not something revolutionary...The label S-400 is essentially marketing---and the key development of this varient --the new improved missile hasn't show itself..
---------------------------------
Outside of India, you will need mid-course BMD. Something that we don't need right now.

Anyway, this deal could be related to the replacement of the S-300P and S-300PMU-1.

Too bad DRDO scuttled induction of S-300/PAC-3 types systems early on. The Americans scuttled Arrow-2 inductions.
As a Big fan of American tech(I mean china as a whole nation ,not me...LOL), China would follow every step which USA has taken...the PAC-3- THAAD- GMD and SM3/6 would have(actually has had) the each corresponding project here...

Russian's BMD tech development tree is a different one, what we would do is just keep a close look at their development...we are operating the S300P serial for more than 20 years, we know quite well the difference between the 'claim' and real ability...(I know you are defending the russian here and there, but To be honest , I have to agree with some other your compatriot here, Russian Arm deal has its own problem and weakness ...china has a little longer history of operating and making Russian arms)...don't overrate something(Russian style exaggeration is not secret) ,although they are good weapon for fight.
-----------------------------

I'm avoiding to comment on indian's current PAD/AAD and PDV ,(the AD1, AD2 on paper might be something interesting) but I have to say my words might hurt...so I prefer keep slient here. let's talk something more realistic...

Last edited:

p2prada

As a Big fan of American tech(I mean china as a whole nation ,not me...LOL), China would follow every step which USA has taken...the PAC-3- THAAD- GMD and SM3/6 would have(actually has had) the each corresponding project here...

Russian's BMD tech development tree is a different one, what we would do is just keep a close look at their development...we are operating the S300P serial for more than 20 years, we know quite well the difference between the 'claim' and real ability...(I know you are defending the russian here and there, but To be honest , I have to agree with some other your compatriot here, Russian Arm deal has its own problem and weakness ...china has a little longer history of operating and making Russian arms)...don't overrate something(Russian style exaggeration is not secret) ,although they are good weapon for fight.
-----------------------------
Yes, I am aware about China's corresponding projects. However since we were talking about area defence systems, I kept the discussion to that.

I'm avoiding to comment on indian's current PAD/AAD and PDV ,(the AD1, AD2 on paper might be something interesting) but I have to say my words might hurt...so I prefer keep slient here. let's talk something more realistic...
This is an open forum, you can say anything you want. What's your opinion on AAD/PAD/PDV?

Anyway, AD-1 and AD-2 are set to be tested this year.

ramakrishna

China buys S-400 SAM because its a much advanced system which can engage all types of aerial targets including aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), and ballistic and cruise missiles within the range of 400km, at an altitude of up to 30km ... It is two-times more effective than previous Russian air defence systems and can be deployed within five minutes.

Source

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles