Puducherry home to Pakistani student

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Puducherry home to Pakistani student

Ali Hassan Raza is the first Pakistani student to enrol at Pondicherry University

A Pakistani youth's dream of higher education has turned him into a symbol of people-to-people diplomacy here.

The 22-year-old Ali Hassan Raza's enrolment at the Pondicherry University has made him quite the cynosure among 5,500 students in the campus, the faculty and even the local police.

Ever since a car was sent to Chennai to pick him up from the airport a few days ago and a rousing reception provided at the campus by classmates and university officials, the police seem to have developed a keen interest in him if only because of the fluctuating relationship that the two neighbour-nations has shared down the years.

Raza, who is the first Pakistani student to enrol at the Pondicherry University, is also one of the few Pakistani students pursuing higher education in India.

Raza, son of Ahamed Raza from Al-Noor City, Pattoki in Kasur district of Pakistan, has been given admission by the UNESCO Madanjeet Singh Institute for South Asia Regional Cooperation (UNESCO MISARC), which was inaugurated recently by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Pondicherry University.

The presence of Raza, who is pursuing MA in South Asian Studies, along with 18 students from India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and other SAARC (South Asia Association of Regional Cooperation) countries in the university, is considered to be an important change in realising the dream of UNESCO Ambassador Madanjeet Singh, who founded South Asia Foundation with the aim of promoting regional cooperation and peace through education, mutual understanding and friendship among the young people of South Asia.

"We feel delighted to have students from all SAARC countries, including Pakistan, in our campus with great difficulty. The university has become a symbol of nursing seedlings for promoting regional cooperation and enduring friendship with all our neighbouring countries. It is a dream of Madanjeet Singh and it is being realised slowly" says J.A.K. Tareen, Vice-Chancellor, Pondicherry University, who played a leading role over the establishment of UNESCO MISARC funded by South Asia Foundation (SAF).

University officials said though there was no much problem for them to rope in students from SAARC countries including Afghanistan, who were fully sponsored by SAF, they worked a lot to complete the visa formalities for the Pakistani student through various Ministries and agencies including the Ministries of External Affairs and Home.

B. Mohanan Pillai, Director, UNESCO MISARC, said since the university officials faced a lot of hurdles in getting visa for the Pakistani student, which was obvious in general, it was raised at the Governing Council meeting of South Asia Foundation held in France recently. Subsequently, the SAF took it up the matter with Ministries concerned.

Though Mr. Raza movements are restricted and monitored by the police, staying in India is a delightful experience for him. He feels that he has broken the deadlock over getting visa for studying in India.

"I feel I am the luckiest Pakistani for being permitted to pursue higher studies in India, which has tremendous potential for higher education. I don't have words to describe the hospitality, affection and love shown by the Indian brethrens, professors and others. I don't feel I am too far away from my home. I feel at home here enjoying each and every moment of life," Mr. Raza told The Hindu.

He added that when he approached the Indian High Commission in Pakistan for visa, the officials told him that there was no provision for issuing visa for Pakistani students. Quoting a website he pointed out that there were restricted provisions for student visa in India on a case by case basis and finally he was granted visa. If the visa procedures were simplified, a large number of Pakistani students would come for pursuing higher studies in India, Mr. Raza hoped.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Good move.GOI should reserve atleast 5% quota seats in india's top institutes like IIT's and IIMsetc for pakistani students and 5% for Bangladeshi students.

ani82v

Country flag
India have lots of seats for students from Africa, Arab countries and SAARC countries. And the allocation is College-County wise.
Bangladeshi Engg students usually go to NIT, Warangal. Infact, competitive exam is held in Indian embassy in Dhaka each year for engineering entrance. Not sure where Pakistanis go but one of my friend knew some Paki students at MDI.

Indian_Baba

India have lots of seats for students from Africa, Arab countries and SAARC countries. And the allocation is College-County wise.
Bangladeshi Engg students usually go to NIT, Warangal. Infact, competitive exam is held in Indian embassy in Dhaka each year for engineering entrance. Not sure where Pakistanis go but one of my friend knew some Paki students at MDI.
Not sure where Pakistanis go = jamat ul dawa terrorist camp organised by duffer-e-pakistan consil of higher education

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Good move.GOI should reserve atleast 5% quota seats in india's top institutes like IIT's and IIMsetc for pakistani students and 5% for Bangladeshi students.
keep you dumb idea to pakistan...quota to paki my @ss

aragorn

India still havent accepted Terrorism as Technology or a faculty to study so reservation of 5% will be useless for pakis.

arkem8

Country flag
HO HO HO HO!!!!
Why only 5%?? GOI will allot 100% for the posts of toilet cleaner(Bhangi) and sweeper(Jhaduwala)....

Come to think of it this is what most filthy Pakis(if you go by the numbers) do in Western and rich Middle Eastern countries, its not like you are educated to the point of passing the 1st Semester exam in even a third rate college in Bihar....

You can already guess where your women will work eh?? hehehehehe!!

agentperry

there are seats reserved for SAARC countries students in higher education institutes and now even for students from africa and latin america.
i have many bhutanese in my college and now even africans. may be sooner than later we see such exchanges. this will atleast lower down the filth in the heart of people on both side of border for eachother. rest political stuff will go on and on and on

arkem8

Country flag
there are seats reserved for SAARC countries students in higher education institutes and now even for students from africa and latin america.
i have many bhutanese in my college and now even africans. may be sooner than later we see such exchanges. this will atleast lower down the filth in the heart of people on both side of border for eachother. rest political stuff will go on and on and on
Really brave words from someone who would never dare to set foot in Peshawar, Islamabad, Karachi or hell even Dhaka!!

Indian_Baba

HO HO HO HO!!!!
Why only 5%?? GOI will allot 100% for the posts of toilet cleaner(Bhangi) and sweeper(Jhaduwala)....

Come to think of it this is what most filthy Pakis(if you go by the numbers) do in Western and rich Middle Eastern countries, its not like you are educated to the point of passing the 1st Semester exam in even a third rate college in Bihar....

You can already guess where your women will work eh?? hehehehehe!!
please dont insult toilet cleaners and sweepers by comparing them to paki's.

parijataka

Country flag
I think India must be wary of Pakistani students for very valid reasons. Pakistan maintains a low grade war with India by supporting anti-India terrorists and 26/11 was a grand example of how ISI and Pakistani Army elements made a fool of Indian `Aman ki Asha`.

Actually, I would say similar vigilance must be maintained against Bangladeshi students. Many BDs, not all, share a bond with their erstwhile compatriots and nurture hatred towards India and Indians despite the genocide and persecution that Pakistan imposed on them pre-1971.

Last edited:

agentperry

Really brave words from someone who would never dare to set foot in Peshawar, Islamabad, Karachi or hell even Dhaka!!
true but still. i wouldnt mind meeting a pakistani in battlefield but still i dont want to see derogatory comments against me just cuz of propaganda. this thing will end propaganda to some extent

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
ajtr has derailed the thread.

Personally I think this is a noble gesture. As it is Indians and Pakistanis study together abroad, we should encourage Pakistanis to come and study here.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I have always felt, India has the right infrastructure of higher education to attract the brightest students from across the sub-continent and other developing countries.

We have decent number of higher education institutes, which are to grow 5 times the coming decade, we have an economy to generate employment for all such pass outs, and have some very competitive companies to be world beaters. So right within the country, there exists an end to end solution that a student could dream of.

As this decade goes by, we ought to have the vision of making India such a hub of excellence no matter where these students come from.

JBH22

I believe Pakistanis University are top in the following why come to "decadent" Hindu India :p

Pakistanis have access to the best madrassas conspiracy theories, madrassa maths problem solving and not forget the best chemistry classes (how to make IEDs)

boris

Country flag
Are you the same ajtr on PDF? If yes then I remember when I was on PDF you had an indian and a paki flag then both paki flags, something like you are an indian muslim married to a pakistani. If you do not mind could you clear the story for me, I have a permanent ban on PDF so can't ask you there.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles