Provoking India will lead to Military action : Navy Chief Admiral to China

no smoking

Country flag
When admiral said that do not provoke india, china must have done something provoking. Though you may have better numbers, we can contain you in any area near our land mass as we can use our planes to monitor your surface ship and submarines.
No, you can't unless your get the permission from US navy who is the real one dominate IOR. But as we discussed before, India can't block Chinese without disturbing the whole east Asian sea transportation. The Americans may not care about Chinese, but they won't tolerate India to block their allies trading activities.

airtel

Country flag
No, you can't unless your get the permission from US navy who is the real one dominate IOR. But as we discussed before, India can't block Chinese without disturbing the whole east Asian sea transportation. The Americans may not care about Chinese, but they won't tolerate India to block their allies trading activities.
...do you think India want to Block trading activities of Vietnam or Japan ??

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Which allies of US are you talking about to whose trading activities shall be blocked by India?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
No we can. We do not need permission from the USN to do any monitoring activity in the high seas. We are a sovereign nation and already monitor PLAN activity in the IOR. How? Read my previous reply:-
AFAIK, PLAN informs our mission in Beijing whenever a PLAN sub enters IOR. You do not need a radar to locate those subs, an innitial time-position info given by PLAN and limited depth of sea means we know the innitial condition of the submarine entering our backyard. In the Malacca straits, PLAN subs can't even hide under the thermocline. After that, half the job (locating) is done and all IN has to do is track and snoop your submarine (remember, PLAN submarines are nowhere near quiet enough).
Point is, our snooping means we already have enough data on PLAN submarine signatures. This is invaluable data in wartime. And where do you think you'll enter the IOR from during wartime? From the Malacca straits, where a P-8I overwatch on the area can not possibly miss a PLAN submarine (remember, no thermocline to hide yourselves into).
Your peacetime maneuvers in the IOR that supposedly intimidate us, actually helps us in gathering invaluable data that we can and will use to defeat any serious attempt at undermining Indian interests in our own backyard.

But wait, the media said China is a very powerful country and PLAN is 3 times larger than IN.
Right. The media also said this:-
But as we discussed before, India can't block Chinese without disturbing the whole east Asian sea transportation. The Americans may not care about Chinese, but they won't tolerate India to block their allies trading activities.
As far as blocking the Malacca is concerned, sure we cannot do that for trade ships (yet). But its easy for the IN to bottle up the PLAN there, which is the entire point, in the event of a war. And blocking Chinese trade through the Malacca selectively while not affecting other trade activities is not impossible. We just need to upgrade our military and civilian port infrastructure in the Andaman & Nicobar islands and then its just a matter of deploying more naval assets to patrol the area and intercept any ships trying to bypass that check(choke)-point. If we are only blocking Chinese trade, I do not see Uncle Sam getting mad at us.
Even if they were mad at us, USN would not open fire on the IN to protect Chinese trade.:laugh:

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
No we can. We do not need permission from the USN to do any monitoring activity in the high seas. We are a sovereign nation and already monitor PLAN activity in the IOR. How? Read my previous reply:-

As far as blocking the Malacca is concerned, sure we cannot do that for trade ships (yet). But its easy for the IN to bottle up the PLAN there, which is the entire point, in the event of a war. And blocking Chinese trade through the Malacca selectively while not affecting other trade activities is not impossible. We just need to upgrade our military and civilian port infrastructure in the Andaman & Nicobar islands and then its just a matter of deploying more naval assets to patrol the area and intercept any ships trying to bypass that check(choke)-point. If we are only blocking Chinese trade, I do not see Uncle Sam getting mad at us.
Even if they were mad at us, USN would not open fire on the IN to protect Chinese trade.:laugh:
Monitoring one or two passing flotillas is one thing. How is the Indian Navy going to differentiate between commercial ships bound for Chinese ports and those bound for Japanese, Korean, and ASEAN ports? All the while engaging a hostile Chinese Navy? With the fleet it has right now?

And we're discussing the situation as is... As of right now, Andaman and Nicobar Port and Aviation facilities cannot support the kind of large scale operation necessary for such a blockade.

I think you are all overestimating the IN's capability here...

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
So he's saying a floatila of IN ships in the SCS would initiate "military action" against the Chinese Navy?

Are you sure this guy's a high ranking officer in a proffessional military service? Ir has he been misquoted by the legendary Indian Media?
He is saying if you f@ck with us in your backyard i.e. SCS then we will f@ck you in our backyard that is Indian ocean.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Monitoring one or two passing flotillas is one thing. How is the Indian Navy going to differentiate between commercial ships bound for Chinese ports and those bound for Japanese, Korean, and ASEAN ports? All the while engaging a hostile Chinese Navy? With the fleet it has right now?

And we're discussing the situation as is... As of right now, Andaman and Nicobar Port and Aviation facilities cannot support the kind of large scale operation necessary for such a blockade.

Fish Hook Deep Sea Bed SOSUS Network

India22

Check registration of ship. Andaman and Nicobar has greatly improved. One S-400 system should be located there to counter Chinese submarine launched missiles and anti-submarine P-8 Aircraft.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

Like I said:-
As far as blocking the Malacca is concerned, sure we cannot do that for trade ships (yet).
So, no, I am not overestimating our reach and capability. But we do know that in the future, ANC is set to become a military hub. We do know Indian Navy is investing heavily in SATA (Surveillance And Target Acquisition) assets as well as in a larger fleet. Now once my proposed capabilities have been acquired, sometime in late 2020s, we can selectively blockade the ships that are heading into China. But how?

Option 1:

Shipping information is open-source. Once you know the IMO numbers of all ships heading to China, you can locate and track each and every one of these as they enter the waters near Malacca. The ships that try to evade arrest can be hailed on radio via their MMSI number, and warned to stop and head towards Car Nicobar. Ships that continue to disregard warnings can be forcibly boarded by MARCOS or VBSS teams (depending on threat perception levels) to arrest or neutralise rouge ship crew and commandeer the vessel. Alternatively, a rouge vessel deemed to be armed can be shot and sunk.

Option 2:

Another way to make this happen is by making it mandatory for ALL ships passing through Malacca to make a stop at Car Nicobar (or some other island they choose to develop good port facilities on). Each vessel's cargo, crew and heading can be ascertained and then they can be allowed to pass through the straits. Any ships that resist this procedure can be dealt with as a rouge ship in the manner stated above. Now you might say that is impossible, but considering the daily traffic in these straits is ~250 ships (upper estimate) it is fairly possible.

PLAN?
They'll be bottled up near the Singapore strait and the military challenge for IN is to ensure that the PLAN remains bottled up in a separate area (between Banda Aceh and Singapore) whereas the civilian ships are intercepted in a separate area, long before they are able to get away from Car Nicobar and get under the protection of PLAN's air defence.

BTW, off-topic, did your flag change?
I thought you were in Australia or some place, but that new flag says Botswana..........:confused1:

J20!

Country flag
Check registration of ship. Andaman and Nicobar has greatly improved. One S-400 system should be located there to counter Chinese submarine launched missiles and anti-submarine P-8 Aircraft.
Is there an S400 system on The Andaman and Nicobar islands right this minute? No. Is there any long range sam system on those islands at present? No.

I assume the good admiral was talking in the present. Or did he say "Provoking India will lead to Military action" in the future when India has huge port facilities, numerous airfields and an S400 SAM system on the A&N islands?

You're talking in the hypothetical. What does the IN have right now that would make a blockade of Malacca practical?

India22

Is there an S400 system on The Andaman and Nicobar islands right this minute? No. Is there any long range sam system on those islands at present? No.

I assume the good admiral was talking in the present. Or did he say "Provoking India will lead to Military action" in the future when India has huge port facilities, numerous airfields and an S400 SAM system on the A&N islands?

You're talking in the hypothetical. What does the IN have right now that would make a blockade of Malacca practical?
Su 30MKI and surface ships. What does China have now? Will Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia allow a belligerent China's surface ships use Malacca?

J20!

Country flag
Like I said:-

So, no, I am not overestimating our reach and capability. But we do know that in the future, ANC is set to become a military hub. We do know Indian Navy is investing heavily in SATA (Surveillance And Target Acquisition) assets as well as in a larger fleet. Now once my proposed capabilities have been acquired, sometime in late 2020s, we can selectively blockade the ships that are heading into China. But how?

Option 1:

Shipping information is open-source. Once you know the IMO numbers of all ships heading to China, you can locate and track each and every one of these as they enter the waters near Malacca. The ships that try to evade arrest can be hailed on radio via their MMSI number, and warned to stop and head towards Car Nicobar. Ships that continue to disregard warnings can be forcibly boarded by MARCOS or VBSS teams (depending on threat perception levels) to arrest or neutralise rouge ship crew and commandeer the vessel. Alternatively, a rouge vessel deemed to be armed can be shot and sunk.

Option 2:

Another way to make this happen is by making it mandatory for ALL ships passing through Malacca to make a stop at Car Nicobar (or some other island they choose to develop good port facilities on). Each vessel's cargo, crew and heading can be ascertained and then they can be allowed to pass through the straits. Any ships that resist this procedure can be dealt with as a rouge ship in the manner stated above. Now you might say that is impossible, but considering the daily traffic in these straits is ~250 ships (upper estimate) it is fairly possible.

PLAN?
They'll be bottled up near the Singapore strait and the military challenge for IN is to ensure that the PLAN remains bottled up in a separate area (between Banda Aceh and Singapore) whereas the civilian ships are intercepted in a separate area, long before they are able to get away from Car Nicobar and get under the protection of PLAN's air defence.

BTW, off-topic, did your flag change?
I thought you were in Australia or some place, but that new flag says Botswana..........:confused1:
Now you're making sense. Realistically, the idea of the Indian Navy at its current numerical, logistical and technological strength blockading ALL maritime traffic headed for Chinese Ports is nonsensical.

Never mind having to engage the PLAN(now officially the Chinese Navy) stimultaneously whilsts herding huge numbers of commercial shipping to non-existant port facilities at those admittedly strategically located islands.

I've never had an Australian flag on my profile. Used to be a PRC flag but apparently the mods changed them to according to current locale when this forum was upgraded.

I live and work in Botswana. I'm impressed you could identify the flag. Not many can, let alone point to it on a map.

PS. Why has my Profile flag turned into a union jack?

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
Su 30MKI and surface ships. What does China have now? Will Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia allow a belligerent China's surface ships use Malacca?
Not to turn this into a d-measuring contest, but the Chinese navy's South Sea Fleet alone is very competitive when compared to the IN's entire vessel inventory.

Malaysia and Indonesia are count as some of China's biggest trading partners. Why exactly would they want a blockade of Chinese shipping? Indonesia is a large operator of Chinese defense tech too, and not too long ago, they allowed the PLAN to perform excercises in the vicinity of the Lombok straits.

The only "beligerent" party here would be the armed services trying to blockade shipping that counts as vital trade for many Asian economies, whilst attempting to detain or divert their own flagged vessels.

None of your hypothetical naval blockade theories seem practical gents.

India22

Not to turn this into a d-measuring contest, but the Chinese navy's South Sea Fleet alone is very competitive when compared to the IN's entire vessel inventory.

Malaysia and Indonesia are count as some of China's biggest trading partners. Why exactly would they want a blockade of Chinese shipping? Indonesia is a large operator of Chinese defense tech too, and not too long ago, they allowed the PLAN to perform excercises in the vicinity of the Lombok straits.

The only "beligerent" party here would be the armed services trying to blockade shipping that counts as vital trade for many Asian economies, whilst attempting to detain or divert their own flagged vessels.

None of your hypothetical naval blockade theories seem practical gents.
Map of Malaysia and Indonesia(partially)

Are all Malaysian and Indonesian ports situated on Malacca Canal?:laugh::rofl:China can have trade relation with these 2 said countries without using Malacca. So being biggest trading partner does not work here. Even if they are not blocking, Indian navy can. It is not about number of ships. Can china send their entire navy to Malacca? India may declare Entrance as war zone as declare every ship going there will be hit. Do you think Malaysia and Indonesia for sake of China will fight? Identify ship, check ship's registration and hit. US is going to do nothing.

J20!

Country flag
He is saying if you f@ck with us in your backyard i.e. SCS then we will f@ck you in our backyard that is Indian ocean.
Show me the quote where he actually said that. The only quotes in evidence in that article are where he says

they(IN) monitor PLAN activity in the IOR, which is a given.

They have the capability to respond to any threat in the IOR.

Where there is Chinese shipping, they expect to see the Chinese Navy.

All mild, logical statements that make sense. Nowhere in that article is he QUOTED saying the IN can or will block Chinese shipping passing thru the IOR or the Malacca Straits or any refference to Chinese "belligerence" in the SCS.

The rest is Hyperbole extrapolated by the author/s of that article and overly nationalistic posters on this thread.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Show me the quote where he actually said that. The only quotes in evidence in that article are where he says

they(IN) monitor PLAN activity in the IOR, which is a given.

They have the capability to respond to any threat in the IOR.

Where there is Chinese shipping, they expect to see the Chinese Navy.

All mild, logical statements that make sense. Nowhere in that article is he QUOTED saying the IN can or will block Chinese shipping passing thru the IOR or the Malacca Straits or any refference to Chinese "belligerence" in the SCS.

The rest is Hyperbole extrapolated by the author/s of that article and overly nationalistic posters on this thread.
You can punch our jaw, we can kick your nuts. Sums up the whole dialogue.

J20!

Country flag
Map of Malaysia and Indonesia(partially)

Are all Malaysian and Indonesian ports situated on Malacca Canal?:laugh::rofl:China can have trade relation with these 2 said countries without using Malacca. So being biggest trading partner does not work here. Even if they are not blocking, Indian navy can. It is not about number of ships. Can china send their entire navy to Malacca? India may declare Entrance as war zone as declare every ship going there will be hit. Do you think Malaysia and Indonesia for sake of China will fight? Identify ship, check ship's registration and hit. US is going to do nothing.
You're not making sense. Think anout the impact of what you're saying.

Chinese industry needs goods passing through those waters to produce the final goods which world trade depends on. A closure of Malacca would have far reaching economic and world market consequences. Even the Indian economy would be impacted.

Can the Indian Navy divert all its naval vessels and aircraft to the Malacca straits? Does it have the logistic capability (support ships, port facilities, air basing facilities on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands) to do so? Let alone the Lombok straits?

Even if it did, check the number of modern surface and sub surface vessels and support ships attached to the South Seas Fleet of the Chinese Navy. It almost matches up to the strength of the whole IN.

The Indian Navy would have to throw its entire inventory into and around Malacca to "hit" every vessel going through malacca. Does the IN even have the amunition stores to do so?

And to suggests that Asian countries would be blase about the IN threatening to blow up their civilian shipping in an international waterway is beyond ludicrous.

The only country with the military, economic and political weight to pull off such a feat would be the US. And still they'd have to flout their so called "freedom of navigation" and suffer economic repurcussions to do it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles