Protests In Serbia Now

pmaitra

Good post.

Slightly off topic, but about Serbia:
Enough is enough. The current government has been dilly dallying on the Kosovo issue for too long, and have made but some very meek claims on it, in the faint hope of winning hearts in Western Europe. This government needs to go. Serbia should have simply reduced all diplomatic exchanges to a minimum with those powers that have recognised Kosovo as an independent state. The UN hasn't, India hasn't, neither do I. Not today, not ever.

ejazr

Ambassador
Broadly agree with you pmaitra, although I don't know if Serbia can afford to isolate itself like that keeping in mind that countries that have recognised Kosovo are mainly the US and west European countries.

It is ironic that US wants everyone to recognise Kosovo as an independant country when onthe other hand Palestine has been recognised as an independant country by 110+ countries and the US does not support Palestine being recognised as such. I won't speculate on the reasons but the double standards are not helpful.

Looks like we are living in interesting times where hopefully we will see a large number of true democracies emerge around the world

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
yugoslavia should never have been broken in the first place. serbia's ethnic war didn't do it any favours in europe.

pmaitra

Sadly, Serbia lacked a charismatic leader like Marshall Tito, and the situation was further complicated by:
  • Albanian squatters and illegal immigrants who came into Yugoslavia for a better living standard.
  • Slobodan Milosevic's genocidical tactics.
  • US desire to have a US/NATO military base in the region.
  • Weak Russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles