Protestants no longer a majority in US

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Atheists and agnostics are increasing

---

NEW YORK (AP) — For the first time in its history, the United States does not have a Protestant majority, according to a new study. One reason: The number of Americans with no religious affiliation is on the rise.

The percentage of Protestant adults in the U.S. has reached a low of 48 percent, the first time that Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life has reported with certainty that the number has fallen below 50 percent. The drop has long been anticipated and comes at a time when no Protestants are on the U.S. Supreme Court and the Republicans have their first presidential ticket with no Protestant nominees.

Among the reasons for the change are the growth in nondenominational Christians who can no longer be categorized as Protestant, and a spike in the number of American adults who say they have no religion. The Pew study, released Tuesday, found that about 20 percent of Americans say they have no religious affiliation, an increase from 15 percent in the last five years.

----

The Pew study has found the growth in unaffiliated Americans spans a broad range of groups: men and women, college graduates and those without a college degree, people earning less than $30,000 annually and those earning $75,000 or more. However, along ethnic lines, the largest jump in "nones" has been among whites. One-fifth of whites describe themselves as having no religion.

The Associated Press: Report: US Protestants lose majority status

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Don't worry about it. Plenty of room in hell left. :laugh:

(That's a joke, folks.)

ashdoc

Country flag
Don't worry about it. Plenty of room in hell left. :laugh:

(That's a joke, folks.)
it IS something to worry about .

these atheists and agnostics have no concept of loyalty to country , no concept of honour , no concept of patriotism---in fact they have no roots . their loyalty is only to themselves and are most selfish . europe is going to be islamised because of too many atheists who dont give a damn about their country .

man has to believe in god religion country in order to defend it .people who dont believe in these things just dont care what happens to their country .

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I like what i see.

It is but inevitable, time is not far away that world over religious people will be persecuted.

jamesvaikom

I am a catholic by birth. But now I don't believe in catholic church due to many reason. According to my observations almost all people converted by protestants and catholic missionaries are illiterate and poor people. But many educated people are leaving church. In short term their population in world will increase because they can convert more people in countries like India. But in long term they will face problems because if more educated people leave church then they will get only less donations. So its better for them if they give importance to understand their community members than to convert more people.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
it IS something to worry about .

these atheists and agnostics have no concept of loyalty to country , no concept of honour , no concept of patriotism---in fact they have no roots . their loyalty is only to themselves and are most selfish . europe is going to be islamised because of too many atheists who dont give a damn about their country .

man has to believe in god religion country in order to defend it .people who dont believe in these things just dont care what happens to their country .
Christ!

Now that if being unfair to me.

Anyway, I tried my best to keep up to your expectation of honour and loyalty.

My apologies if I failed people like you.

We go back to the question of what is God?

There are many forms, many interpretations and I presume that even those who do not recognise the entity of God do have some core values which if interpreted from their point of view is some issues that is superior focal point of their existence, which again in some ways, is what one thinks of is the entity of God.

But then I am also not a philosopher!

Last edited:

jamesvaikom

Christ!

Now that if being unfair to me.

Anyway, I tried my best to keep up to your expectation of honour and loyalty.

My apologies if I failed people like you.

We go back to the question of what is God?

There are many forms, many interpretations and I presume that even those who do not recognise the entity of God do have some core values which if interpreted from their point of view is some issues that is superior focal point of their existence, which again in some ways, is what one thinks of is the entity of God.

But then I am also not a philosopher!
+1
If all religions are preaching truth then why people don't believe in more than 1 religion? There are only 2 possibilities. Either one religion is right or all religions are wrong. I think atheists are very less compared to agnostics . There are many people like me who believe in existence of god but don't believe in any religion.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Yes it exists as Nastika Scool with Lokyat/Charvaka Philosophy...:rolleyes:
The nastika schools aren't really a part of 'Hinduism' as we understand it today. Otherwise, Buddhists and Jains would also be called 'Hindus' only.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The nastika schools aren't really a part of 'Hinduism' as we understand it today. Otherwise, Buddhists and Jains would also be called 'Hindus' only.
What about aastika atheistic schools like Mimamsa ? (AFAIK its more or less dead in this era)

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Catholics than Protestants now with all those coming from Latin America.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles