Proposal for Surveillance Radar in Andamans blocked

MoEF says no to radar installation in hornbill habit. Do you agree ?

• Total voters

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The Union environment ministry has turned down the Indian Coast Guard's proposal to install a surveillance radar in the Narcondam Island in the Andaman and Nicobar islands. The ministry said the defence project was a threat to the endangered Narcondam hornbill. The bird is highly endangered; only about 350 of them are left. Narcondam Island is the last remaining habitat for these birds.

The ministry received the proposal, seeking diversion of 0.637 ha of forestland for the project, last year. The Indian Coast Guard wanted to install the coastal surveillance radar and its power supply source within the Narcondam Island Sanctuary. It was part of the agency's plan to install a chain of static radar sensors all along the Indian coast for remote surveillance of activities in coastal sea. The proposal was recommended by the Andaman and Nicobar administration and the state wildlife department.

Source: MoEF says no to radar installation in Narcondam hornbill habitat | Down To Earth

Defcon 1

Country flag
There are always ways to achieve development without threatening the environment. People just don't become hippies if they care about the environment.

Blackwater

In india there is no value of human being, since when GOI concerned about birds.

BTW there are lot of bird and animal species in india which vanished under the nose of GOI, what did they do in that????

:confused::confused::confused::mad::mad:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am caught in two minds.

Is there no other place where the radar can be installed and achieve the same operational requirement?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if alternative location is found, then it is good, but if you have to chose between our survival and security and those of endangered bird, then better go for our survival and security. BTW steps can be taken to take bird and breed it in the heart of India, where similar location exists.

Zebra

Country flag
How big that radar will be and at what height they are going to fix it?

I mean how much high it should be from sea level?

If they can mount it on any big ship then it should be OK.

Anchor that ship forever there.

my two cents, please.

Zebra

Country flag
This is the Narcondam Island......

(wiki)

Zebra

Country flag
I think make a radar station there. ASAP. :hail:

(Please, see the red spot on right-top of this image)

(wiki)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What kind of Radar they are planning anyways.. ?

Kranthi

The Island is in a very important location.
A radar there is very much needed,but again we don't have any right to kill those innocent birds.

Definitely if we can find another safe island for them then it is better to move them safely and use this island for extended radar coverage in that region.However it is not an easy task to do that.

I do agree with the present decision if there is no safe alternative other than endangering the species.

p2prada

I am caught in two minds.

Is there no other place where the radar can be installed and achieve the same operational requirement?
The same here.

This one seems to be in a rather strategic location.

The Naval base there will have radars but that's all the way in the Southern most part of Nicobar. There will be one at Car Nicobar too.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
great decision, totally agreed with ministry of environment.

When We are not giving priorities to MUCH NEEDED pending defense deals then why should we worry about this radar which will endanger these innocent birds out there...I am sure there should be many other means to protect these islands....

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Station a ship there with a radar.

Problem solved.

Zebra

Country flag
One more location, but it is not safe, bcz of active volcano.

Barren Island

(wiki)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles