Project P15B Visakhapatnam class destroyer

uoftotaku

Country flag
Certainly looking at the deck layout of the Kolkata and the current weapon load its not hard to see that the design has plenty of space available to double the current missile load (if not more). Availability of Nirbhay, 127mm Gun, Barak-8ER, BrahMos 2 and a proper complement of NMRH's will make P-15's a truly world class offensive platform.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
So I think navy would employ 24 Nirbhay missiles to make Kolkata and Vizag class a competent and dominant vessel.

binayak95

Country flag
So I think navy would employ 24 Nirbhay missiles to make Kolkata and Vizag class a competent and dominant vessel.

More like 8-16 bro. 24 missiles occupy a huge amout of space. The Nirbhay is primarily a Land Attack Cruise Missile. Why would the IN want that many on its ships. We are not looking at any expeditionary requirement, are we?

Willy2

More like 8-16 bro. 24 missiles occupy a huge amout of space. The Nirbhay is primarily a Land Attack Cruise Missile. Why would the IN want that many on its ships. We are not looking at any expeditionary requirement, are we?
But is't it then too late for adding more VLS if suddenly situation escalate ?

Our destroyers should atleast keep 32 cells specially for AShW missiles , chinkis carry 48/64 anti-ship missiles .

binayak95

Country flag
But is't it then too late for adding more VLS if suddenly situation escalate ?

Our destroyers should atleast keep 32 cells specially for AShW missiles , chinkis carry 48/64 anti-ship missiles .
Chinki ships will be blown out of the water long before they steam anywhere close to targeting our ships. I'd love to see them get close to Indonesia. Hint: Su-30MKIs with Brahmos, MiG-29Ks with Kh-35, Jaguars with Harpoons.

Not to mention forward deployed Scorpenes with Exocets

Willy2

Chinki ships will be blown out of the water long before they steam anywhere close to targeting our ships. I'd love to see them get close to Indonesia. Hint: Su-30MKIs with Brahmos, MiG-29Ks with Kh-35, Jaguars with Harpoons.

Not to mention forward deployed Scorpenes with Exocets
OK...but what harm it will cause if we just install those extra VLS ? I mean ..OK we don't need to arm all those VLS ,we will continue to send our ships with 8 Brahmos , but just keep those VLS in ship , it will save time if situation suddenly implode ....hope u get what I am try to say .

kamaal

Country flag
OK...but what harm it will cause if we just install those extra VLS ? I mean ..OK we don't need to arm all those VLS ,we will continue to send our ships with 8 Brahmos , but just keep those VLS in ship , it will save time if situation suddenly implode ....hope u get what I am try to say .
There are only two inference from the INS Vishkapatnam design :
1). The design agency was very naive and couldn't trust the super structure in handling the kinetic energy of AS missiles.
2). There is something hidden inside that VLS, which is out of everybody's sight, may be they have kept missile storage space at the sides and the moment VLS launches a brahmos, it will be filled with another brahmos. I have always had this doubt as they have kept too many space on the deck, which is ridiculous.

Shashwat

Country flag
^^ No, Finmecanica is blacklisted - one of the primary reason for the delay in P15B. They can't procure anything from FM or its subsidiaries. The gun will be 127mm but from somewhere else.

Moreover there has been delay on some critical components by Russia, Israel. Why the hell can't we develop shipborne radar when we already have AESA based phased array radar for IAF/IA. Its time we develop mainline stuff rather than depending on others which always led to delay and cost escalations.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/649012/delivery-navys-destroyers-delayed.html

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
^^ No, Finmecanica is blacklisted - one of the primary reason for the delay in P15B. They can't procure anything from FM or its subsidiaries. The gun will be 127mm but from somewhere else.

Moreover there has been delay on some critical components by Russia, Israel. Why the hell can't we develop shipborne radar when we already have AESA based phased array radar for IAF/IA. Its time we develop mainline stuff rather than depending on others which always led to delay and cost escalations.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/649012/delivery-navys-destroyers-delayed.html
About the radar, can an Arudhra radar spin off work?
About the SRGM,
AFAIK, you cannot sign new contracts with blacklisted firms, but older contracts remain in place. And the SRGM are license produced under an older contract.
see this:-
In November 2017, India's Ministry of Defence signed a contract worth Rs 272 crore with BHEL , Bangalore for the supply of three 76 mm / 62 caliber Super Rapid Gun Mounts (SRGMs) for the Indian Navy.

BTW, I remember @porky_kicker posting a pick of SRGMs under construction at BHEL.

binayak95

Country flag

Check this out:
IMG-20171016-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20171016-WA0001.jpg

Adioz

License produced by BHEL. Its a ToT from Oto Melara even with the scope for upgrading 76mm mounts to STRALES.
STRALES? Damn. But don't we need DART for STRALES to work? If we could get it to work on indigenous ammo, it would be great.

binayak95

Country flag
STRALES? Damn. But don't we need DART for STRALES to work? If we could get it to work on indigenous ammo, it would be great.
I said there is scope for upgradation . Not that we are going for the same. The IN is not interested in STRALES.

We have the Barak family for AD and I believe for long range Naval Gunfire Support Roles Vulcano armed 127mm should suffice.

Although I am not 100% sure if we have VULCANO or will acquire them in due time.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Having multiple class destroyers is a logistical nightmare.
We need employ only one class destroyer like arleigh bruke with big weapons configuration.
Having only one class means faster construction,sailors rotation without additional training.
Russians are building Lider class destroyer with approx 200 missiles on board with a tonnage of 15k

Last edited:

Adioz

Having multiple class destroyers is a logistical nightmare.
We need employ only one class destroyer like arleigh bruke with big weapons configuration.
Having only one class means faster construction,sailors rotation without additional training.
Russians are building Lider class destroyer with approx 200 missiles on board with a tonnage of 15k
If you think about it, all our destroyers are Project 15 and its iterations Project 15 A and Project 15 B. Kolkata and Vishakhapatnam classes are almost identical.

Project 18 destroyers are going to be 13000 tonne behemoths. Maybe we'll see a Project 18A and Project 18B after the initial flight of 6 Project-18 destroyers.

Arleigh Burke class destroyers also have wide variations in between them. They were built in different flights. Just because they are called the same does not mean they are the same.
Look at JMSDF, PLAN, etc. Every navy is doing this. These designs are evolutionary.

The Project 18 will be significantly different, but it is a positive step up. And when the Project 15 were conceived, we were inexperienced in destroyer making. Our weapons systems were not mature. We could not have possibly made a 13000 tonne destroyer back then. Everything is happening in a logical progression of capabilities and complexity. Things could not have been better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles