Project P15B Visakhapatnam class destroyer

undeadmyrmidon

Having multiple class destroyers is a logistical nightmare.
We need employ only one class destroyer like arleigh bruke with big weapons configuration.
Having only one class means faster construction,sailors rotation without additional training.
Russians are building Lider class destroyer with approx 200 missiles on board with a tonnage of 15k
Russians will build in 2035......................

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Probably never. They don't have the tech expertise (they had, lost it due to decades of inactivity post collapse) and more importantly they don't have money.
What's this fascination with 12000+ tonne destroyer???

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Russians will build in 2035......................
It will start in 2018.Already fund was allocated.

Probably never. They don't have the tech expertise (they had, lost it due to decades of inactivity post collapse) and more importantly they don't have money.
Tech Expertise? seriously? they had built largest cruiser destroyer called SLAVA class.Probable never..did putin said to you that?

captscooby81

Country flag
They had the expertise and the economy today they just have the expertise but not the economy to build it ..Look at their submarine SSBN project hull was laid down in 1996 and commissioned in 2013 ...At the same time look at China they don t have great expertise as Russia but they are literally pulling every type of naval war ship expertise with the use of money and today they are building more naval ships than USA ...You need money for everything big and grandeur ..Sadly money is short with Russia and also with India ..

Tech Expertise? seriously? they had built largest cruiser destroyer called SLAVA class.Probable never..did putin said to you that?

undeadmyrmidon

Russia can't build a CODAG engine for it's frigates and it will build new destroyers. LOL!

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
If you think about it, all our destroyers are Project 15 and its iterations Project 15 A and Project 15 B. Kolkata and Vishakhapatnam classes are almost identical.

Project 18 destroyers are going to be 13000 tonne behemoths. Maybe we'll see a Project 18A and Project 18B after the initial flight of 6 Project-18 destroyers.

Arleigh Burke class destroyers also have wide variations in between them. They were built in different flights. Just because they are called the same does not mean they are the same.
Look at JMSDF, PLAN, etc. Every navy is doing this. These designs are evolutionary.

The Project 18 will be significantly different, but it is a positive step up. And when the Project 15 were conceived, we were inexperienced in destroyer making. Our weapons systems were not mature. We could not have possibly made a 13000 tonne destroyer back then. Everything is happening in a logical progression of capabilities and complexity. Things could not have been better.
If Ins Vizag is inducted , it will be largest destroyer in IN. So you say Project 18 is even bigger than Project15?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
If Ins Vizag is inducted , it will be largest destroyer in IN. So you say Project 18 is even bigger than Project15?
I was just informed that the next generation destroyer program is actually looking at two designs: one of 18000 ton, and another of 11000 ton. Join the discussion here: Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Edit: Before someone looses their sh*t over this, calm down, its not 18000 tons. Its 8000 tons. :rofl:

Last edited:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
They had the expertise and the economy today they just have the expertise but not the economy to build it ..Look at their submarine SSBN project hull was laid down in 1996 and commissioned in 2013 ...At the same time look at China they don t have great expertise as Russia but they are literally pulling every type of naval war ship expertise with the use of money and today they are building more naval ships than USA ...You need money for everything big and grandeur ..Sadly money is short with Russia and also with India ..
I think money id not problem.
They are building 24 nuke submarines both yasen and ssbn
They already allocated money for this project.

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Russia can't build a CODAG engine for it's frigates and it will build new destroyers. LOL!
They already overcame the hurdle and now they are fitting to their frigates and going to fit into Lhd which is going to be constructed from 2019.
Btw before using fucking lol star using brain and google.

binayak95

Country flag

Ehh. the largest cruisers they built was the Kirov class. And yeah, its a behemoth. What I meant when I said that the Russians had lost the expertise is that they haven't built anything approaching the Sovremenny class in terms of size and structure in decades. Which means that the crew who built them have either left the shipyards/migrated to other places and thus -the expertise is gone.

Don't believe me? why do you think the Scorpenes took so much time to build when we already had built INS Shalki way back in 1992. Because the sub yard was allowed to rot away and the skilled workmen who had been trained for building subs migrated to the Middle East and Singapore due to lucrative offers. You can't turn up one fine day and start building big ships. Time and money has to be invested everywhere from the designers down to the workers who actually build the ships.

undeadmyrmidon

They already overcame the hurdle and now they are fitting to their frigates and going to fit into Lhd which is going to be constructed from 2019.
Btw before using fucking lol star using brain and google.

LOL noob they restarted construction as India got Ukrainian engine for our own ships. They are reverse engineering those engines for their own. And to power DDG requires more powerful engine due to sheer tonnage and speed considerations at sea state 6+. Noob.

Kalki_2018

Country flag
The largest ships Russia has built (destroyer/frigate) since the beginning of this century has been the Grigorvich and Neustrashimyy class. They seem to like smaller boats since the only fleets with access to open oceans are the Northern and pacific fleet. EVen here Northern sea is often blocked by ice and pacific has to deal with Japan and USN.
The rest are all little ponds that Russia can dominate from its enormous land mass, like Baltic sea, Black sea and Caspian sea.

Tanmay

Country flag
Any news on P-15's getting upgraded with Brahmos and VLS Shtil?
Sometime ( a month perhaps ) back I think I saw a newspaper ad for navy recruitment with a Delhi class with different launcher. Couldn't find it again though :/ I guess people were talking about that
But a friend who went for navy day at sea a few days back shared a picture which showed a normal Delhi class ( need to see closely which ship) so that leaves two probable ships.

NeXoft007

Country flag
All Brahmos have that range, Mk.1V will simply have a superior targeting system.
No, they don't.......... If I am right, the current 3 gyroscopes inside Brahmos will be replaced by a single 23cm RLG, giving more space for fuel.

This is possibly one of the few steps taken to increase the range of Brahmos beyond it's predecessor.

captscooby81

Country flag
So another project successfully screwed up by the ruskies and their mood swing supply of equipment so it is going to rot for another 3 years before it does for sea trail such a waste of time ..:frusty::frusty:

Nope. Won't be ready before 2021 because of supply issues from Russia and Ukraine (engine and drive shaft).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles