Project- 75(I). Next gen subs. RFP issued

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by plugwater, Jul 11, 2010.

1. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Yeah, VLS requirement is still not clear.

I think Brahmos's current dimension can not allow it to be fired from Torpedo tubes.

Brahmos availability in new SSKs in whatever form & VLS fitting is likely to become hot issue for IN in coming days it seems. Here is something very interesting on it -

Source

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. nrj

India to Select Foreign / Private Shipyard Collaborator for Project 75I

Alright it seems project has gained momentum -

Indian Navy calls for information for 06 conventional submarines under Project 75(I)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. Rama

Rama Regular Member

Indian should go for Russian Submarines like Severodvinsk-class submarine.Think for the future and not the immediate or near present.

4. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

50,000cr deal for 6 subs: Govt invites bids from firms

NEW DELHI: The ball has formally been set rolling for what will be India's biggest-ever defence project till now: the acquisition of six new-generation stealth submarines, with land-attack capabilities, for over Rs 50,000 crore.

The government has now issued a global request for information (RFI) to armament majors to submit their initial offers by the end of this month for the six submarines to be constructed under 'Project-75 India'. This comes after the Defence Acquisitions Council (DAC), chaired by defence minister A K Antony, cleared P-75I in June, as was first reported by TOI. The gigantic naval project will clearly overtake the Rs 42,000 crore project to procure 126 multi-role fighters for IAF, so far dubbed the "mother of all defence deals", which is in the final selection phase now.

Under P-75I, while two submarines will be imported from the foreign collaborator's shipyard, the other four will be built indigenously under transfer of technology. Three of these will be constructed at Mazagon Docks (MDL) in Mumbai, and the fourth at Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) in Visakhapatnam.

MDL is already engaged in building six French Scorpene submarines under Project-75, currently valued at Rs 23,562 crore, which incidentally is running three years behind the 2012-2017 schedule set for it earlier. "Giving one submarine to HSL under P-75I is clearly aimed at establishing a robust second submarine line there, in addition to MDL, for future projects like P-76," said a senior official.

Interestingly, the RFI says the foreign collaborator has to specify the air-independent propulsion (AIP) being offered for the project. Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to surface every few days to get oxygen to recharge their batteries. But with AIP systems, they can stay submerged for much longer periods, narrowing the gap with nuclear-powered submarines which can operate underwater for virtually unlimited periods.

50,000cr deal for 6 subs: Govt invites bids from firms - The Times of India

5. sandeepdg

The Yasen class subs are nuclear attacks submarines. We are buying conventional subs for now. Maybe in the future.

6. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

7. nrj

Yeah 2 of these new subs to be constructed at collaborator's shipyard & rest 4 at two different Indian shipyards. Last date for submission is 30th September.

All to be equipped with AIP. This makes total number of 8 Next-Gen AIP subs serving IN. S-80 & Amur will be good competitors. Although Russians will have to assure on AIP's functionality.

8. Patriot

Patriot Senior Member Senior Member

India Releases $11B RFI For Submarines

Sep 8, 2010

By Neelam Mathews [email protected]
    NEW DELHI

The Indian navy has issued a request for information (RFI) for procurement of six conventional submarines under its Project 75 (1). The estimated value of the contract is $11 billion.

Submissions are due by Sept 30. Companies expected to respond include Rosoboronexport (Amur shipyard), France’s DCNS, Germany’s HDW and Spain’s Navantia.

The Indian navy says it is in the process of identifying a contemporary conventional submarine with two diesel-electric engines to be built at the vendor’s shipyard and four more at Indian shipyards. The RFI states it will look at companies that have independently designed and constructed modern subs currently in service or undergoing sea trials. “The submarine should be capable of operating in open and littoral/shallow waters in dense antisurface and antisubmarine warfare and [electronic warfare] environments.”

The Scorpene—six of which India has ordered and are under construction—is 1,700 tons and carries 18 torpedoes and/or missiles. The submarines India is looking at will be 7,000-8,000 tons, says a navy official.

[​IMG]

“The Western world doesn’t have this [size] of conventional boat and it is likely the Russians will qualify,” says an aerospace and defense analyst. “However, having suffered in the past, India is wary of doing business with the Russians,” he adds.

India’s fleet includes 10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDW and two aging Foxtrot diesel-engine submarines. It does not have any submarine design experience for a 7,000-ton boat. By 2012, five of India’s 16 submarines will be retired.

The RFI asks for the scope and depth of the technology transfer the original equipment manufacturers can offer for design and construction at Indian shipyards, as well as equipment to be sourced from Indian industry for offsets and plans for training of Indian personnel in submarine design.

(Photo: Indian Navy)

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?topicName=india&id=news/awx/2010/09/08/awx_09_08_2010_p0-252813.xml&headline=India Releases $11B RFI For Submarines

9. keshtopatel

keshtopatel Regular Member

Are nuke subs available for sale to India?

10. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

No, nuke subs are not sold as it will raise eyebrows from all the concerned as it can carry strategic weapons like nukes. But nuclear subs can be leased as Russia leased Nerpa to India.

11. keshtopatel

BrahMos is too thick to fit into a standard 21-inch torpedo tube......

12. keshtopatel

I know that, I was just quizzing him........I am aware of the MTCR guidelines, lease thingy is a loophole, the fruit of which both India and Russia are enjoying in the form of Nerpa lease......

I wanted him to respond first - but you spoiled the fun.......

13. nrj

Sir, correct me if wrong but S-1000 was bidding even in P-75A. The S-1000 solutions seems to be indeed good & can do wonders in speed of induction. Also, is the AIP solution in these subs will be nascent Russian one or from the Rubin Design Bureau? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  14. keshtopatel

If it is Navantia-Spain, they make S-80!

The Joint development is between Rubin Design Bureau of Russia and Fincantieri of Italy..........

15. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

If you read my post, I am asking about 650 mm tubes not the 533mm ones.

ersakthivel likes this.
  16. keshtopatel

Even 26 inch (rare) tube cant accomodate Brahmos......

17. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

So what is the size needed? Can you please elaborate

18. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

The Kilos from Russia are being refitted for the Brahmos,this is why there has been a delay in their delivery.

ersakthivel likes this.
  19. sandeepdg

No, they aren't, dude. I said "maybe" in the future, nobody knows what's gonna happen in the future ! Anyway, we don't really need to buy a nuke sub, what we need to do is gain expertise from the Nerpa, and improve upon our Arihant design.

20. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

[​IMG]
    A test of the vertically launched submarine version of the missile is planned off the coast of Orissa possibly sometime in May or June this year BrahMos CEO Dr A Sivathanu Pillai told the press during day 2 of DefExpo 2010

Brahmos Missile - a knol by Vijainder K Thakur

IT is very possible that Brahmos can be lunched by 533/650mm tubes, If so, than think what type of havoc a single Akula can do to a unsuspecting enemy fleet..