Project-17A Nilgiri-class Frigate Thread

ladder

Country flag
Dunagiri is the present name of Dronagiri... So can't use that anymore.

Dhaulagiri then (seriously what the f***is even "Chandragiri")?
I think Chandragiri is in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.

uoftotaku

Country flag
Dunagiri is the present name of Dronagiri... So can't use that anymore.

Dhaulagiri then (seriously what the f***is even "Chandragiri")? It's an ancient Indian buddhist shrine of Ashokan era.
Dhaulagiri (the actual mountain) is in Nepal so no the IN is not going to name a ship after it.

Chandragiri is the sister hill of Vindhyagiri in Karnataka

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I think Chandragiri is in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
I know, i know... But that's the name of a town, is it even a hill?
Dhaulagiri (the actual mountain) is in Nepal so no the IN is not going to name a ship after it.

Chandragiri is the sister hill of Vindhyagiri in Karnataka
Dhaulagiri in Odisha is just as "actual". Its one of the oldest Buddhist shrines in India.

And "Chandragiri is the sister hill of Vindhyagiri"!!!!???? The ones at Sharavanbelgola????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are two small heaps of stone! Why would we name warships after those???!!
I thought Vindhyagiri meant the Vindhya range...

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
I know, i know... But that's the name of a town, is it even a hill?

Dhaulagiri in Odisha is just as "actual". Its one of the oldest Buddhist shrines in India.

And "Chandragiri is the sister hill of Vindhyagiri"!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????? The ones at Sharavanbelgola? Those are two small heaps of stone! Why would we name warships after those???!!
I thought Vindhyagiri meant the Vindhya range...
You mean 'Dhauligiri' in Odisha?

uoftotaku

Country flag
Looks like a close hybrid of Talwar class and Kolkata class anyways these Niligiri Class is exponentially superior to the chink frigates pakis are about to get in maybe 2021 because of LRSAM,BrahMos and MFSTAR and it will also have GE Turbines
It's actually a fantastic design if you compare it with the Kolkata class. In terms of armament the Kolkata is superior only by 08 x BrahMos.

In terms of raw performance in speed it falls short by 6 knots but does so at less than half the propulsion power (02 x main gas turbines vs 06 on the Kolkata)

And of course cost wise also it represents a big saving vs the new P15B (since its being built at the same time)

We should churn more of these out in quickfire fashion

ladder

Country flag
It's actually a fantastic design if you compare it with the Kolkata class. In terms of armament the Kolkata is superior only by 08 x BrahMos.

In terms of raw performance in speed it falls short by 6 knots but does so at less than half the propulsion power (02 x main gas turbines vs 06 on the Kolkata)

And of course cost wise also it represents a big saving vs the new P15B (since its being built at the same time)

We should churn more of these out in quickfire fashion
P15A/B has cogog configuration while P17/A has codog configuration. So there is a difference in the number of gas turbines present in both the classes.

uoftotaku

Country flag
P15A/B has cogog configuration while P17/A has codog configuration. So there is a difference in the number of gas turbines present in both the classes.
Yes I know. But I was pointing out the difference in running costs for 02 cruise diesels + 02 gas turbines vs 04 gas turbines is significant for the small difference in speed.

AVAST

Country flag
Pardon my ignorance but what happens after all the 8 Brahmos are fired? Does it carry extras onboard?

ladder

Country flag

uoftotaku

Country flag
Is there any specific reason why they carry so less?
8 AshMs is the standard load out across the world for a surface combatant. Look across the USN fleet and all of them have ever since the Cold War era carried no more than 8 Harpoons (with a few exceptions like the reborn Iowa class battleships)

The days of fleet scaled ship to ship warfare are past. In the case of the IN, if facing the PN how many surface combatants can the enemy even put out to sea at any time? 8 Brahmos per vessel is already adequate

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles