Problems with Smerch (MRBLs) , Army waits for Pinaka-2

Galaxy

Country flag
Problems with Smerch (MRBLs) , Army waits for Pinaka-2

Sources close to idrw, have told us that Indian army is not only facing problems in firing system of Russian made Smerch multibarrel rocket launchers (MRBLs) ,but also facing shortage of spares for the same systems .

India has asked Russia to send a expert team to India to rectify problems it has been facing mainly with the barrels of the rocket launchers , Indian army currently operates 62 Systems , and problems have been seen on random systems and not on all the systems brought from Russia .

India at the time of agreement with Russia in 2006 had asked for Transfer of technology of this Smerch multibarrel rocket launchers , but Russia refused fearing development of India's own system .

India after successfully developing Pinaka with range of 40 km , was keen on to Purchasing Smerch which comes with maximum range of 90 km , TOT on Smerch was denied to India by Russia, since DRDO already had plans to develop a 120 km Pinaka-2 multibarrel rocket launchers (MRBLs) .

India with Israeli help has improved the accuracy of Pinaka-I systems to a great extend and also is working on Pinaka-2 , which might have its first user trials by mid or end of 2012 .

Indian army currently is happy with DRDO developed Pinaka-I systems , and plans to order more to replace old Russian made BM-21 'Grad' Launchers and also is looking forward on Pinaka-2 systems , but if they are any delays ,then army is also considering ordering more Russian made Smerch (MRBLs).

Pakistani army also operates Chinese variant of Smerch (MRBLs) , known as Type A100 . with minor improvement on its range .

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I already pointed out in the pther thread of the same topic this equipment:

This is a more mobile and cheaper version of the HIMARS.

Defcon 1

Country flag
can somebody answer me a question, why did we buy smerch in 2005 when we already had pinaka??

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Longer range. Pinaka is 40kms. Smerch is 90.. Pinaka 2 is being developed for 120 kms range.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Longer range. Pinaka is 40kms. Smerch is 90.. Pinaka 2 is being developed for 120 kms range.
Does Pinaka 2 really exist, some articles point as to no further development of the Pinaka.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Does Pinaka 2 really exist, some articles point as to no further development of the Pinaka.
i read in wikipedia that pinaka will not be developed into a larger system, but they will develop a new rocket system based on it with higher range.....

SPIEZ

Country flag
i read in wikipedia that pinaka will not be developed into a larger system, but they will develop a new rocket system based on it with higher range.....
I believe that is the Prahaar system.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Prahar is a guided rocket or tactical Missile, Use for precision strike..

Where Pinaka is not guided, Pinaka will be using same rocket body with a different rocket motor system..

Pinaka rockets can carry cluster bombs and mines and disperse them over enemy territory..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Certainly yes. Home grown wares are an absolute must. There are certain sectors where India has done pretty well. Pinaka is one of them.

Kunal, even Pinaka was to get guided rockets like the newer American ones. What's the status on that?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Pinaka is in the process of further improvement. Israel Military Industries teamed up with DRDO to implement its Trajectory Correction System (TCS) on the Pinaka, for further improvement of its CEP. This has been trialled and has shown excellent results.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinaka_Multi_Barrel_Rocket_Launcher#cite_note-9[/SUP] The rockets can also be guided by GPS to improve their accuracy. A wraparound microstrip antenna has been developed by DRDO for this system.

Pinaka 2:

A 7.2-metre rocket for the Pinaka MBRL, which can reach a distance of 120 km and carry a 250 kg payload. These new rockets can be fired in 44 seconds, have a maximum speed of mach 4.7, rise to an altitude of 40 km before hitting its target at mach 1.8 and can destroy an area of 3.9 km[SUP]2[/SUP]. Integrating UAV with the Pinaka is also in the pipeline, as DRDO intends to install guidance systems on these rockets to increase their accuracy. Sagem completed delivery of its Sigma 30 laser-gyro artillery navigation and pointing system to be equipped with the Pinaka multiple launch rocket system in June 2010.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinaka_Multi_Barrel_Rocket_Launcher#cite_note-11[/SUP] The Sigma 30 artillery navigation and pointing system is designed for high-precision firing at short notice. Development and trials will continue and the rocket is expected to enter user trial by 2012

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
one question how does pinaka take aim ??? i talk to guys who make it they didnt said a word. It is rocket, but with Israeli help, it has become accurate. I wonder how.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
We may see this then via FMS

I'd prefer Pinaka-2 ANYDAY than any more foreign JUNK unwanted that other nations sell us. Pinaka-1 is one of the best MBRLs in the world in its category. The only difference between Pinaka and western MBRLs (of the same category) is that Western companies spend helluva lot of cash in marketing, publicity, promotion and advertising their stuff while sarkari dodos in our place don't realize the good stuff they make successfully and don't market it.

This is why I said; get some private companies to market these products globally.. hire some publicity consultants that are well known in the nation.

I am dead sure that Pinaka-1 outperforms many of the more expensive stuff out there in the market in its own category.

Same with Dhruv. The helicopter outdid many far more expensive and more publicized helos in international tenders.

The truth is, many of us don't even know half the things about how awesome the (successful) stuff we have is made.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
But I got to say one thing; IA is in a big pile of turd right now, thanks to MOD's screwing:

- NO modern artillery.
- Problematic MBRLs.
- No local APC project for future.
- Intentional politics on a world class Arjun battle tank in favor of foreign junk.
- FINSAS still in pipeline rather than implementation.
- Army Aviation still ailing with the ancient Alouette IIIs.
- Internal dirty politics.
- Governed by a spineless puppet of a Defense Minister.

And we're talking about PLA who might be cowards but at least they have good equipment to back them en masse AND a very very strong government support for weapons and modern technology.

agentperry

as pakistan army operates the chinese version of smerch and chinese themselves use them, then the problem of spares and quality should also haunt them. but there is no news regarding this which means that either the news are censored or the problem dont exist with them because of upgrades and good quality production ( on relative ground as russian quality is purely and surely pathetic).

the smerch strength should be restricted and with progressive development of pinaka i dont think opening up one or two smerch will affect army's battle strength.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
as pakistan army operates the chinese version of smerch and chinese themselves use them, then the problem of spares and quality should also haunt them. but there is no news regarding this which means that either the news are censored or the problem dont exist with them because of upgrades and good quality production ( on relative ground as russian quality is purely and surely pathetic).

the smerch strength should be restricted and with progressive development of pinaka i dont think opening up one or two smerch will affect army's battle strength.
I am sure the Chinese have their own production line for the Smerch - or whatever they call it in PLA. Their production continuity is much better than the Russians and I am sure even if the quality may have some concerns, supply is not a problem for PLA - and in turn for PA.

p2prada

Pinaka is a success story for DRDO. First of many for private enterprise too, in manufacturing.

A second version will have improved capability with rockets using INS. Only rockets and launching system will be different on II as compared to Pinaka I.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles