Problems with Indian T-90s

Bahamut

T-90 made in India is around 50-52 tons, Arjun is a MBT like others not a heavy and maintenance friendly as a priority by Army as supervised and directed the design by Indian Army itself, Their are some 900 plus T-72 are not operational due to lack of spare and maintenance ..

It is Army who are setting the requirements for MK2, And they know adding more stuff will add more weight, If MK2 is 68 tons is because Army wanted it to be 68tons, Their was no specific requirement to make MBT lighter and never proposed ..

The purchase of T-90MS provides nothing special over MK2, The excuse of buying these tanks is to operate them in cold Himalayas as some lobby guy termed Arjun as desert tank and cannot operate in cold and other regions and no transport can do the job, These kind of things are been dissected and exposed in Arjun MK1 thread in details ..

I rather wait to see MK3 / FMBT , Rather expecting Gov to do same mistake as did with T-72M1 back in 80s then T-90S in 2000 and waiting to do this again ..

All the links are provided in this thread, Go through them and you will not talk abt T-90 import again ..

=====================

Indian T-90 use 2A46M not 2A46M-5 used by Russian, Tot was never acquired and ARDE make barrels which are based on 2A46M used both on T-72M1 and T-90 made by Avadi ..

Required details are their in T-90 vs Arjun thread and this ..
I am just telling what I heard and I think it was short sightedness from IA and Govt. not to go for full ToT in T 90 and T 72 and as for T 90 SM ,it is just a proposal and I hope that if it is brought ,it comes with full ToT .To be fair to IA they wanted a tank to compliment the T 90 not to replace it.Arjun is a heavy tank and while T 90 is a medium tank.Yes I want Mk3 to be lighter ,there is lot of tech T 90 SM that will help Mk3 and other Indian future tank.I want two tank force ,one heavy and one light or medium tank.I think the Army need to clear as what it want in Mk3 and cut it weight by at least 10 tons and they can.We need more co operation between IA from troops on the ground telling DRDO what they want , not the generals and DRDO understanding it and working hard on it.We have now seen the the availability of Su 30 MKI go high and I belive the same can happen with T 90 and T 72 .

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Guys, what's your view for not taking Arjun mk2 for Tank Biathlon 2017...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This may not be space Armour, Its a composite Armour made of plates with ceramic and other in between..

At glacis ..

At turret ..

The way the rest of the penetrator moves after being broken up probably isn't accurate..

============
============

Then HVF officials discovered that Russia had withheld key T-90S technologies without valid reason. This included technology for crucial components like the tank’s main gun and a key section of the turret armour. To this day, Russia has not transferred full technology for building the T-90S in India.

General Manager of HVF Avadi, how the T-90S was being built without these technologies, he confirmed: “We developed the tank gun indigenously in Central Ordnance Depot, Kanpur, and the turret armour component in CVRDE (Combat Vehicles R&D Establishment), Avadi. This is still a sticking point between India and Russia.”
Source : http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2011/11/t-90-tank-technology-transfer-supply-of.html

There were problems along the way. “We had some problems with the turret – the 130-mm armour plate,” said Mr. Chandrasekar.Chairman, OFB, Saroj Vinayek, spoke about the “challenge to manufacturers.”

The Russians declined to part with the technology for the turret and the gun, claiming it was not part of the original agreement. This led to protracted, but barely fruitful negotiations, and delay in the indigenisation schedule. OFB officials said they fabricated the turret under extremely difficult circumstances as technological inputs from Russia were not forthcoming.
Source : http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/article212652.ece

====================

Their is another official source of mentioning Kanchan armour module being used on T-90 bhisma, I am not able to find it at the moment ..

Indian T-90 bhishma are heavier compare to Russian T-90, Due to mainly Kanchan Armour instead of Russian. This show via difference in ground pressure of both variants ..

Any info or source about kanchan Armor being used in T 90 ?

This is a pic of a T-72B with broken idler, showing simple spaced plates.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Source : http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2011/11/t-90-tank-technology-transfer-supply-of.html
Source : http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/article212652.ece
====================

Their is another official source of mentioning Kanchan armour module being used on T-90 bhisma, I am not able to find it at the moment ..

Indian T-90 bhishma are heavier compare to Russian T-90, Due to mainly Kanchan Armour instead of Russian. This show via difference in ground pressure of both variants ..
So this shows that Russians are not trustworthy..they always try to milk as much as money.
They never want us to go indigenous on arms,because they will loose the market.
Pathetic.

WARREN SS

Country flag

Don't Push Your Luck

Shoddy maintenance of T-90s are exposed Today in 3rd race

Both tanks are Out Of race against china due to engine Failures

Chinese Had over 25 Minutes lead over Us by that time

We are out of the race And Tank biathlon Tournament In Such embarrassing way

WARREN SS

Country flag
That is utter nonsense.
Mechanical failure is a fact of life for all these beasts.
Even with careful preventive maintenance, these can and will happen.
All these are Facts hiding incompetence of babus Won't help

How come Chinese Don't have single Engine failure

Look at other teams like belarus and kazakistan ,Iran etc

They operate Imported Russian ones still manage to maintain it better That 2nd Major Manufacturers of Russian tanks(India)

We Laughed at Chinese when there wheel was broken thought they complete first in the race Now We are facing Even worse fate

WARREN SS

Country flag
I am SAD for the IA Tank crews They have immense talents and are world class But Due to DSPU's shoddy corrupt system We have to face such Failure

Akshay Fenix

Country flag
We should have sent the Arjun Tanks.

Arjuns are much better than these crap T90s from Russia.

square

Strategic Issues
Don't Push Your Luck

Both tanks are Out Of race against china due to engine Failures

Chinese Had over 25 Minutes lead over Us by that time

We are out of the race And Tank biathlon Tournament In Such embarrassing way

so , T90 engine fail !

both means ?.......does two of our t90 fail in the same race....?

can not even sustain for 2 hours in tough conditions.....

and we have war on our door.....

square

Strategic Issues
I am SAD for the IA Tank crews They have immense talents and are world class But Due to DSPU's shoddy corrupt system We have to face such Failure
do we menufecture engines here under licence..?

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Don't Push Your Luck

T-90s sent for biathlon has no issues with maintenance.

This is nothing more than a n accident.
Last year, brand new chinese Type-96B also failed.

Don't be embarrassed from this breakdown, our team did their best.

Also, India is the only nation which displays "flying tank" without touching the station. Thats also done by your so called shoddy maintained T-90.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This is really shameful.

And we jump on their backs. Defend their decisions, debate ad nauseam how they are the best judges and how important is for them to buy whatever they want because they have to abide by the operational doctrines.

I have said it before DSPU's can't be blamed but the operator. If DSPU is corrupt and maintenance facilities are shoddy and below standards then it is duty of of the operator to protest and get it fixed.

Looks like 'sab iley huain hain'.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
This is really shameful.

And we jump on their backs. Defend their decisions, debate ad nauseam how they are the best judges and how important is for them to buy whatever they want because they have to abide by the operational doctrines.

I have said it before DSPU's can't be blamed but the operator. If DSPU is corrupt and maintenance facilities are shoddy and below standards then it is duty of of the operator to protest and get it fixed.

Looks like 'sab iley huain hain'.
This shows that you need to induct Arjun.

Is this what army bragged for? Of course this machine is a beast but it requires high maintenance too.

I am sure Arjun would have done far better.

WARREN SS

Country flag
T-90s sent for biathlon has no issues with maintenance.

This is nothing more than a n accident.
Last year, brand new chinese Type-96B also failed.
What Made You think that T-90 was Not brand new From HVF

Type-96B still finished the race 2nd With wheel broken

When you go to international stage you should ready for such failures

I am Not Saying T-90s Is Bad Tank or IA crew has anything to do with it

But maintenance was shoddy And Due to lack luster And un professionalism of OFB babus

How cum Imported Russian tanks better maintained than India Which Manufactures Russian tanks for decades

WARREN SS

Country flag
This shows that you need to induct Arjun.

Is this what army bragged for? Of course this machine is a beast but it requires high maintenance too.

No its Not Arjun Is Far Too heavy For Tank biathlon category

T-90s are performing good In first round against Chinese

Crew vs crew battle

But they need upgrade ASAP

Type-96B has lower weight and 1200 hp engine that gives it edge in Power to weight ratio against t-90s

Though real test Of the tank is in battle

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
All these are Facts hiding incompetence of babus Won't help

How come Chinese Don't have single Engine failure

Look at other teams like belarus and kazakistan ,Iran etc

They operate Imported Russian ones still manage to maintain it better That 2nd Major Manufacturers of Russian tanks(India)

We Laughed at Chinese when there wheel was broken thought they complete first in the race Now We are facing Even worse fate
Look, I don't give a flying fuck about any other nation's tank.
Engine failure can and will happen even to the most well maintained vehicle out there. Especially to the ones that are used in extreme conditions for most of their life.
Your ridiculous statement about so called "shoddy maintenance" is baseless.

I agree, Arjun would have pummelled the others with the more powerful Engine, superior suspension and one of the best main guns in the business.

square

Strategic Issues
How cum Imported Russian tanks better maintained than India Which Manufactures Russian tanks for decades
they might not giving us the true tech under licence menufecturing !!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles