Problems facing Civil Aviation in India.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I flew AI once and will never fly it again. I had two connecting flights with AI as the major leg to Europe. You know with these connecting tickets you only get an hour between flights. I get to the counter with plenty of time to spare and they tell me my flight is overbooked. I was like WTF? The ticket is already paid for, stick me on the flight and kick someone who is going one-way. I got a schedule to keep or I miss my next flight. Oh, so sorry I will have to wait until the following morning to get the next flight. They promise to set me up in a nearby hotel. I wait several hours and the next shift comes in, I go to ask about it and they say "What are you talking about?" What am I talking about?!? They tell me to move aside, I better see the manager. It takes the better part of an hour. He says he will give me Rs 5000 and go find my own hotel. So I am waiting outside the office for some cash, I knock on the door after much time. They say they will refund my hotel, no cash now. Pissed off I go looking for an Rs 5000 hotel room. I can't find one anywhere near the airport. I go back and they offer me a sleeping place in their area, it has a nasty ass cot and full of mosquitoes. Screw it man, I lay down and wrap myself in my bathrobe and try to sleep.

So I wake up with my face throbbing from mosquito bites, I get up early, check my bags and first in line at the gate. With the incompetence of AI I would probably get kicked off again. Finally board the flight, I notice there are more mosquitoes on the plane than I just slept through. I spend the whole flight swatting. Get off and try to work my magic with the connecting airline, they are reasonable as it seems they often have to deal with AI incompetence. So I finally make it from Germany to France and I am waiting to pick up my bags... wait, wait... no bags. AI left my bags in India! I never see them again and I get no compensation.

This is what needs to happen to AI...

I can clearly understand and empathize with you, Armand. :lol: Similar nonsense happened to me when I was flying couple of years ago. Terrible. That was the last time I promised to ever use AI after that I swore never to fly again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Kingfisher needs to infuse funds to continue operations

MUMBAI: Kingfisher Airlines Ltd. , controlled by liquor baron Vijay Mallya, needs to infuse required funds to continue as a "going concern", its auditor has said, raising concerns about the future of the loss-making carrier.

The auditors, B.K. Ramadhyani & Co, in its report, which is part of the company's annual report for the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2011, has mentioned that the company's accumulated losses at the end of the financial year "were more than fifty percent of its net worth."

Kingfisher needs to infuse funds to continue operations: Auditor - The Times of India

First Air India, now Kingfisher. A lot of wrong moves has put the industry in trouble. We thought that when consolidation happens, the big fish will eat the small ones. But looks like the big fishes are on the verge of dying. The smaller low cost carriers are now growing big, IndiGo is an example. Well never know what they are also up to and they too might go bust, but i wonder what will happen if AI, KF go bust and decide to shut shop? Will the govt step in or will it let it die?

Kingfisher at best can cross subsidize its business from the money making liquor industry. But that is not a sound way to do business. It has to take urgent steps. Just recently, fuel suppliers refused to fuel KF birds as it had run up dues of over 600 crores.

Something is not right with the civil aviation industry. Someone needs to blow the whistle.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
He is an Alumnus of my school and was the Chief Guest for our Founder's Day on 13 Sep.

He was oozing with all confidence that was conveyed in his address.

So, how come?

I am sure he will bounce back!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Taking over Deccan airlines has hurt Kingfisher a lot and not to mention 2008 recession. No-frill airlines are ruling the roost and majority go for these budget airlines because of the nature of Indian passenger who would like to spend as much less as possible. The people who use the premium services are usually only business executives and business men and all others use the no-frill airlines which are abundant and the rates fit their pocket the most. its all about survival-of-the-fittest and largest/biggest like AI,KF and Jet need not necessarily be the fittest.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
How Kingfisher and Jet made a hash of their business models

Running an airline in India is a mugs' game. Once defined as the simple business of "getting bums on seats"—more "bums" means better bottomline—the way the Indian industry is being run, one wonders if the "bums" are paying enough for the seats they sit on.

Thursday's newspapers said Kingfisher's auditor was tut-tutting about the poor state of its balance-sheet. Without owner Vijay Mallya putting in more equity, the airline is on a crash course, with accumulated losses eroding more than "50 percent of its net worth."

Look at the carnage. Kingfisher hasn't seen black since 2005. Market leader Jet Airways hasn't sniffed profits since 2007-08. SpiceJet has got a whiff, but has accumulated sackfuls of losses (Rs 720 crore) in the past. In the first quarter of 2011-12, Jetmade a loss of Rs 123 crore after many accounting adjustments, Kingfisher lost a whopping Rs 264 crore, and SpiceJet Rs 72 crore.

A Jet Airways aircraft (R) and Kingfisher Airlines (L) are seen on the tarmac at the airport in Mumbai. Punit Paranjpe/Reuters

One figure tells it all. Between last year and now, the three listed companies – Jet, Kingfisher and SpiceJet – destroyed Rs 6,600 crore of shareholder wealth, a drop of 59 percent when the overall market (as measured by the Nifty index) fell only 13.48 percent.

As for Air India, the less said the better. When last heard of, it had racked up losses of Rs 22,000 crore against a shrinking market share – and its management is accumulating frequent flier miles to-ing and fro-ing between Delhi and Mumbai, trying to wangle thousands of crores in equity infusion. What it needs is an infusion of cyanide.

The airline business is clearly a value destroyer. And it's doing it all by itself, without help from Praful Patel.

Or is it? In India, there is clear line dividing successful (or near successful) airlines from the rest. And that line is drawn in sand. It divides the pure low-cost carriers (LCCs) with a clear business model (SpiceJet, Indigo) from the ones who operate both full-service and low-cost carriers (Jet, Kingfisher, Air India).

It's the full-service carriers (FSCs) that are bleeding profusely for they have a confused business model. They have fallen between two stools.

The world over, there are five keys to airline success: costs, costs, costs, costs, costs. This is where the LCCs score over the FSCs.

The first cost in this bums-on-seats business is a four-letter word – CASK, or the cost per available seat kilometre. It helps to have more bums on seats, but the critical thing is to have the lowest possible seat cost per possible bum. CASK is a metric that measures what it costs to fly every seat for each km of distance.

Indigo and SpiceJet are the industry champs in CASK, though clearly comparable figures are not available. A Forbes India report quotes

Citibank's airline industry analysts Jamshed Dadabhoy and Arvind Sharma as saying that "the capital costs per passenger for full service airlines have jumped several fold over the last few years, while those of budget airlines have remained stable or moved up very little. SpiceJet, for instance, has a CASK of between Rs 2.30-2.40 while the number for Jet Airways is around Rs 3.60."

The second cost to control is debt. Debt brought Air India down, with some help from Praful Patel, who was the Civil Aviation Minister when the airline suddenly ordered 50 medium and long-range aircraft for $7.2 billion when the management thought 18 would do. The resulting debt laid the airline low. It current debt: a crippling Rs 42,570 crore.

Contrast that with what Indigo and SpiceJet have cannily done. Both take aircraft only on lease. Even if they buy them, the aircraft are resold to financiers and leased back. Says Antique Stock Broking, which put a buy on SpiceJet in July: "The company has used an asset light model for business growth with sale and leaseback strategy. Its entire fleet is currently leased and the strategy has helped the airline to keep its debt levels to minimum, avoiding debt burden. This strategy has paid off SpiceJet very well and it stands out distinctly amongst its competitors. The company has managed to survive the downturn and grow, while competing players are finding it difficult to expand the fleet due to heavy debt burden."

Jet is better off compared to Air India, but it is still tottering under debt. In a recent interview, Jet's Senior Vice-President (Finance) Mahalingam Shivkumar agreed that debt exceeded its airline assets. He said: "We have a debt of about Rs 13,400 crore, out of which Rs 9,000 crore is our acquired aircraft. Against that, we have an asset worth Rs 9,000 crore and we have a balance of Rs 4,000 crore."

The market agrees. Rs 4,300 crore is the value of Jet's drop in market capitalisation over the last one year.

The third cost is fuel. Thanks to rising fuel prices over the last one year, SpiceJet's fuel costs as a percentage of sales have moved up from 37 percent to 56 percent of sales, but if its balance-sheet is looking prettier than its competitors', its not because it is able to drive better bargains with the oil companies. Aviation fuel costs the same for everybody. So what makes the difference?

Aircraft age. Keep your aircraft fleet young, and you get fuel savings. Says the Forbes article on Indigo: "Indigo has six-year sale and leaseback agreements for most of its planes. The lessor takes the planes back after this and the airline can induct a brand new one in its place. Though at a cost, this is effectively like a perpetual elixir of youth. The most important financial implication is that it never has to undertake the 'D' check, where the aircraft is completely stripped down and airlines often discover the need to spend on major repairs. This check is usually done when the plane is about eight years old."

The average age of Indigo's fleet, as indicated by aviation website www.airfleets.net is 2.4 years. It's a fleet-footed toddler in Indian airspace. Go Air's average fleet age is also a stripling 2.5 years. SpiceJet's birds are a bit older at an average of 4.7 years.

But the three airlines with a mix of full-service and low-cost operations—Kingfisher, Jet and Air India—had the oldest fleet mix. Kingfisher and Kingfisher Red had 4.6 years and 5.9 (making for an above 5 average for the company as a whole), Jet had 5.8, and Air India had a gerontocratic 9.8 years.

Age is beginning to tell on the big boys.

The fourth cost relates to aircraft maintenance. Globally, airlines have to maintain and service airlines to strict safety standards. This is why airlines with a diverse mix of aircraft tend to have higher costs, because they need separate staff to maintain Boeings or Airbuses or whatever.

The low-cost carriers (LCCs) have cannily focused on having only one basic aircraft (or sometimes two, with the second one connecting the smaller towns). SpiceJet uses Boeing 737s (NextGen). And Indigo Airbus 320s. But the big boys use several types. Kingfisher uses many different Airbuses (from A319-321 to 330) and ATRs. Jet uses Airbuses, Boeings and ATRs. Air India uses Airbuses, Boeings and even a Lockheed L-101 Tristar (anyone's heard of them?)

In this business, diversity is weakness.

The fifth cost is the cost of idling. Getting bums on seats is one half of the challenge, but there's no point getting them seated till you can fly them. In short, you have to fly more bums more often and for longer – and this means airlines which keep their aircraft flying for longer hours get better revenues. The figure to watch here is the aircraft utilisation rate – the time the aircraft spends in the air in a 24-hour cycle.

Indigo tries to keep the idle time between two journeys to 30 minutes and manages an aircraft utilisation rate of 11.5 hours a day. Air India's? Don't ask. It's 9.1 hours.

Apart from costs, the full-service carriers compounded their problems by making fundamental strategic errors in their desire to scale up and raise market share.

Domestic market shares in 2001 stood at 26 percent for Jet (including JetLite), 19 percent for Kingfisher, 18 percent for Indigo, 16 percent for Air India, 14 percent for SpiceJet and 7 percent for Go Air, according to data from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation.

Two areas are worth mentioning. Mergers and branding.

All the full-service boys messed up their mergers. Coincidentally, all three—Jet, Kingfisher and Air India—went in for acquisitions and mergers in 2007-08. While Jet bought Sahara, Kingfisher bought Air Deccan and Air India merged with Indian Airlines. The traditional logic of mergers is cost savings and synergy, where two and two equals five.

But, surprise, two plus two ended up as three for all of them. While some cost rationalisations did come through from route swapping and capacity and code sharing, all three made branding and HR errors.

Air India never fully consummated the marriage with Indian Airlines as its human resources issues did not get sorted out (pay structures, etc). Jet and Kingfisher committed cardinal branding errors by renaming their low-cast carriers in their own image.

While Jet renamed Sahara as Jet Lite, consumers wondered what the difference was. Kingfisher converted Air Deccan into Kingfisher Red – and duly landed deeper in the red.

The issue is simple: when two brands—one full-service with all the frills of flying, and another, with low fares—are given the same or similar names, how is the consumer to know the difference? It is easy to assume that Kingfisher Red's service is no different from Kingfisher's, when the fares of the former are far lower. If Rolex were to buy Titan and name the latter Rolex Lite, will Rolex's sales go up or Titan's?

It is more than likely that many air passengers downtraded to the LCCs due to this brand confusion.

The full-service carriers have clearly to rethink their business models and branding. Or else, they can kiss goodbye to profits forever.

How Kingfisher and Jet made a hash of their business models | Firstpost

sob

Mod
Country flag
The full service airlines need desparetly to rethink their strategy. I have never understood for an unappetising meal meal and a newspaper why do they have to charge a couple of thousand bucks extra than the LCC is beyond my understanding.
Also if you see that the above three named carriers, JET,KF and AI have the worst record on being on time. Indigo is by leaps and bounds way above the rest in terms of on time accuracy, cleanliness of the aircraft, friendly staff, baggage handling etc.

This was reinforced when on a recent trip to Ahmedabad, the Taxi driver who had come to pick me up, told me that in case of passengers travelling on Indigo he comes to the airport 20 minutes before the scheduled arrival time, because the plane is always before time. He also informed to me that when the pickup was for Air India or KF, he does not hurry as the flights are usually late.
The little things that Indigo has introduced like ramps instead of Stairways, lighter seats, newer aircrafts all point to a very well chalked out business plan and it will soon be the dominant airline in the Indian Skies.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
A well written article and does cover the problems faced extensively well, good to read what a name can do and batter the business least to say it just adds to the confusion of the consumer. A lot of problems faced are own created, mismanaged by the management, and one of being too ambitious. These people want to grow way too fast than the circumstances permit, even if they have to the saner options are just not looked at but they find ways to just add on to the flab, good someone documented it this well.

From the too ambitious bit it always reminds me of coke India, how a few chaps from top management got sacked even after doing more numbers than targeted for because they had pretty much screwed up the bottom line, but in the airlines business no such pruning is seen happening because of this mess created, which means the consent is certainly coming from the chaps who own the business who then would be confident that they can "handle" the situation.

Other than that this sector per say looks to be too much full of nonsense if one goes by the radia tapes and on such conversation where she is conversing with suhel seth (or is it someone else, not sure), there are some stunning allegations against the then civil aviation minister, where the allegation is AI is on purpose being battered, the minister is not really an AI minister but seems to be working for others more specifically jet and KF, there is even talk of the amount of money this particular individual seems to have walked away with and interestingly, when he was around, these airlines other than AI, never really felt the pain, other than in '08.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Taking over Deccan airlines has hurt Kingfisher a lot and not to mention 2008 recession. No-frill airlines are ruling the roost and majority go for these budget airlines because of the nature of Indian passenger who would like to spend as much less as possible. The people who use the premium services are usually only business executives and business men and all others use the no-frill airlines which are abundant and the rates fit their pocket the most. its all about survival-of-the-fittest and largest/biggest like AI,KF and Jet need not necessarily be the fittest.
Most of the destinations in India are only few hrs apart and we Indians wont pay a premium for that. Now if the flight was 10hrs+ then some of us would be inclined to pay more for comfort.

IndiGo is well run...i was once had a chat with its vice president and he told me then that Jet was going down and that Air India was run by morons.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes the article is well written and covered all points i think that ails the aviation industry.

Full carriers offer food, newspaper and the only other thing is skywalk. For lesser mortels, its the bus to take to the aircraft. But then no one minds it to save a couple of grands.

I have seen some flights of kingfisher on the bangalore delhi sector which can go up to 14k whereas Indigo will take you for 6.5k.

My preferred carrier since its introduction has been indigo. well maintained and organized.
Actually these days the more frills there are, the more irritating it is. Just get on with it. Ryan air is a super example of how to make money in the airline industry.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
here is a response from one of the persons on that site:

credit : Raj Malhotra

I absolutely agree with Venkat.

The state of affairs at 9W and IT is thanks to poor Management at these airlines. The Senior Management is busy playing politics and travelling at companies expense. Please run a check and you will find all the Sr. Management often out on business travels with zero outcome.

To recruit a VP/Sr. GM and GM at 9W is lot easier then getting an office boy thanks to bureaucracy and very very bad politics.

With this style of management what else do the Indian carriers expect?

Look at the history of 9W and IT - people joining these airlines from other professional airlines hardly survive.

The HR at 9W really surprises me. The HOD of HR at 9W once told my friend at his exit interview (when he complained about his boss and expressed the reasons of her quitting) "Leave it in GOD's hands. GOD will take care of him. Well, what is the HOD of HR there for? What are the HR protocols at 9W. If GOD has to take care of her boss then HR Head is not need lol.

So the moral of the story - lets leave the fate of these two carriers in GOD's hands :)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yes the article is well written and covered all points i think that ails the aviation industry.

Full carriers offer food, newspaper and the only other thing is skywalk. For lesser mortels, its the bus to take to the aircraft. But then no one minds it to save a couple of grands.

I have seen some flights of kingfisher on the bangalore delhi sector which can go up to 14k whereas Indigo will take you for 6.5k.

My preferred carrier since its introduction has been indigo. well maintained and organized.
Actually these days the more frills there are, the more irritating it is. Just get on with it. Ryan air is a super example of how to make money in the airline industry.
IndoGo is a copy of easyjet in europe. Some flights from delhi to bangkok is 9.5k while others are charging more than that for mumbai. I have never been able to understand the logic of that.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The problem is, these airlines cannot be allowed to sink. Disaster for civil aviation in India. 3 major airlines holding about 70% market going bankrupt is disaster. How will government tackle this is a major question as one of the airlines is government run.

For me KF is a disaster because it has been run on the whims of Mallya. My personal opinion. To make it "LARGE".. I mean big show, big frills, Kingfisher class and what not. I dont think in this time of cost cutting, people appreciate Kingfisher class even if they have decent money at their disposal. I mean not everyone drives a mercedes. Majority drives the small cars or at best those 10 lac odd category Honda Cities. Thats the market, thats where the money is. speaking of which, Honda slashed its prices facing the heat. You have to be competitive these days.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Kingfisher Airlines to exit low-cost operations

India's Kingfisher Airlines will exit its low cost operations Kingfisher Red, its chairman Vijay Mallya told reporters after the company's annual general meeting on Wednesday.

http://toi.in/uN06Wb

sob

Mod
Country flag
This is the beginning of the end of KingFisher Airlines, one of the most un professionally run companies.
Instead of flamboyance if Mr.Mallaya had learnt a couple of tricks from Indigo then he would not be in this mess.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
a very interesting analysis on why Mr.Mallya went in for the acquisition of Deccan Airlines and now that it has met his objectives he is exiting the business now.

What the Indian media will not tell you about Kingfisher Red
if you have ministers working for corporate heads things like these will always be allowed to happen, and public enterprises under them like the IA will on purposed be made to sink.

all that talk of KF in a soup sounds all too malicious!

recall the time when praful patel was the ca-minister and these airlines wouldnt even pay for the fuel.

Reactions: sob

sob

Mod
Country flag
if you have ministers working for corporate heads things like these will always be allowed to happen, and public enterprises under them like the IA will on purposed be made to sink.

all that talk of KF in a soup sounds all too malicious!

recall the time when praful patel was the ca-minister and these airlines wouldnt even pay for the fuel.
I recall reading a couple of years back that during the time when Parliament was in session Prafull Patel and one or two other MPs used to fly up and down from Mumbai everyday in Mallya's private aircraft. Such kind of favours , particularly when there is a conflict of interest should also fall under the ambit of corruption.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Vijay M maybe flamboyant, but see the video of the link and see how his mind works.

He is a King of Good Times, but he knows his onions.

As far as Praf Patel, well, he knows his onions too!

Soon, he will also face the wrath of the law and the people!

Air India's Pandora's box is about to explode!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well, I always thought in addition to being "flamboyant", he was also a good businessman.

Let us see if Kingfisher without low cost ops does any better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles