Probable Chinese hypersonic air-to-air missile test

Martian

Respected Member

The video has stirred many people. In my analysis, I conclude it's a hypersonic air-to-air missile.

From the opening scene, we seen a long horizontal contrail that extends tens of miles into the distance. It should be obvious to you the hypersonic missile is not that far above the ground/city and flying horizontally. If the missile had been flying vertically, the camera would have to pan up dramatically (like a Shenzhou flight). Instead, the horizon line in the video is relatively constant.

The hypersonic air-to-air missile flight shares the same "bow shock" as a hypersonic ballistic missile/rocket (see Shenzhou 9 flight). However, in the video, the hypersonic air-to-air missile has a blindingly white nose cone. This is a result of traveling hypersonically in dense low-altitude atmosphere. You never see a blindingly white Shenzhou nose cone, because it travels hypersonically through the rarefied high-altitude atmosphere.

The PLA has to conduct its hypersonic air-to-air missile test over continental China, because the U.S. has many sensors on ships waiting offshore to monitor a seaborne test. No one wants to share their test flight data with the other side.

The PLA probably intentionally conducted the test on a day with high moisture level to create an easily discernible bow-shock trail for later analysis.

The timing of the test during twilight was also probably intentional to create a high-contrast video. The video of the hypersonic test flight can be analyzed through spectroscopy to determine the temperature of the hypersonic air-to-air missile's nose cone.

After 30 seconds into the video, the bow-shock briefly stops and a second bow-shock is seen. This looks like the missile slowed down and then picked up speed again. Did the PLA intentionally throttle the engine momentarily as part of the test?

I believe the Chinese air-to-air missile is hypersonic, because I've never seen a bow shock this large. Supersonic aircraft or missiles create very small bow shocks and moisture condensation. Ramjets "as a class work most efficiently at speeds around Mach 3." I think China was testing a higher-speed hypersonic scramjet engine.

Martian

Respected Member
A Mach 1 nose cone does not glow. Neither does a Mach 3 YJ-18 warhead, which is a video that I had previously posted.

In the video (see post #1), the nose cone is at least 1,200 degrees Celsius (or 2,192 degrees Fahrenheit). It's glowing blazing white. It's a hypersonic missile.

----------

Watch the re-entry of real hypersonic Mach-23 MIRVs at 2:07 to 2:11. They are also blazing white.

Illusive

Country flag
Let me introduce you to the world of CG i.e Computer Graphics where you or any random chinese kid with a talent can create these conspiracy videos with realistic graphics thanks to modern tracking software and plugins in the comfort of his home.

Don't believe me see for yourself :playball:

These aren't even industrial level graphics, there something higher than this:biggrin2:

Alien

Chinese sources have reported that a mystery anti-ship hypersonic missile is being tested by the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN).

According to the current information, the prototype hypersonic missile, being developed to increase the firepower of the newest Chinese Type 055 guided missile destroyers, has done successfully land tests.

Sources have claimed the new hypersonic missile, known as YJ-XX, will to capable of destroying US warships missile defenses. The YJ-XX is an ultra-high-speed missile, with the range of 1000 km, allegedly capable of penetrating US air defense systems based on Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) Block IIA and SM-6 Block IA hit-to-kill interceptor missiles.

Notably, the first Type 055 destroyer, Nanchang (visual indicative 101), made its first public debut during the massive celebrated the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army Navy in Qingdao.

The 180-meter long, 20-meter wide Type 055 class is a development of the Type 052D Luyang III-class guided-missile destroyer but is about a third bigger than the latter.

The ship is armed with 112 vertical-launch cells with the ability to fire HHQ-9 surface-to-air missiles, YJ-18 anti-ship cruise missiles, and CJ-10 land-attack cruise missiles. The main gun is a H/PJ-38 130-mm gun, but there are reports that this vessel also could eventually be equipped with a railgun. The vessel uses X- and S-band radars, allowing it to track stealthy objects of various sizes.

Type 055 with newest anti-ship hypersonic missiles descendants could significantly extend the Chinese Navy range at the central Pacific.

https://defence-blog.com/news/china...c-missile-capable-to-destroy-us-warships.html

DhimanAacharya

Chinese military experts believe that foreign media reports may confuse the solid ramjet and scramjet.According to the expert, the most recently developed solid ramjet engine in China is not scramjet.The former is a bit slower, difficult to reach hypersonic speeds, and less technically difficult than the latter.But even a solid ramjet can greatly extend the range of an air-to-air missile, but a missile of the same size probably cannot increase its range by three times.Experts say there is no scramjet engine for an air-to-air missile. You guys may read this repoert:
https://docsbay.net/chinese-hypersonic-ramjet-triples-missile-range-ramjet-engine-schematic-diagram

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is rather laughable to think that China could make scramjets when they don't even have the material sciences to make steel tank axels that don't break or SCB that doesn't create exploding turbofans.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hypersonic speed using which technology? If it is using scremjet than truly remarkable otherwise it is a wastage efforts. Missiles will be very heavy and bleed lots of energy and may not be good for high "G" turn for targeting highly maneuverable fighter planes.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles