Prince Rurik's real ancestry

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Re: 50 per cent of Britons are GERMAN

@Peter : I think it was known for a while, that Brits were mostly upper Germany, Lower Scandinavia region.
Even the names are similar, you know: Smith-Schmidt, Miller-Muller, Brown-Braun, the sex in middlesex, essex, wessex and what not, from saxony, the word english from angles and so on.
But wow to think 50% of brits are Germans, I thought there would be higher percentage of celts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Yes, and the toughest of them all was prince Rurik. Finnish Viking who founded Russia. Thats why Russians still respect finns.

Kingdoms of Eastern Europe - The Russias
Except Rurik the viking (or Varangian, as the Slavs called him) was almost certainly a swede, not finnish descent. You should read the history and stop propagating false info.

He fought the finnish-ugric tribes and the slavs of the region (NW of Present day Russia) and was defeated by these tribes (hardly makes him the toughest viking :lol: )

Later the slavs and the finnish-ugric tribes started fighting among themselves and Rurik (along with his brothers) were invited back by these tribes to establish peace and order. And thus began the Rurikid dynasty.

Later the Finnish-ugric tribes and the varangian (i.e. viking) family of swedish stock were both assimilated into Slavic culture.

Thats why Russians still respect finns.
Maybe that's why the German term Finlandization came into being. Finlandization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

pmaitra

Yes, and the toughest of them all was prince Rurik. Finnish Viking who founded Russia. Thats why Russians still respect finns.

Kingdoms of Eastern Europe - The Russias

May I ask you why you continue to present history carefully doctored to suit your narrative?

Prince Rurik was a Varangian prince of the Rus nation.

The picture you posted is from Novgorod, one of the three pillars of Russia. The two others being Kievskaya Rus and Rus Khaganate. His successor, Oleg of Novgorod founded Kievskaya Rus, which is roughly Ukraine today.

jouni

May I ask you why you continue to present history carefully doctored to suit your narrative?

Prince Rurik was a Varangian prince of the Rus nation.

The picture you posted is from Novgorod, one of the three pillars of Russia. The two others being Kievskaya Rus and Rus Khaganate. His successor, Oleg of Novgorod founded Kievskaya Rus, which is roughly Ukraine today.
Everybody in Russia knows that Rurik was the son of a Finnish king. It was even taught in schools until Finland became grand duchy, then they stopped teaching it. Also Catherine the Great knew it, being a relative herself.

jouni

Except Rurik the viking (or Varangian, as the Slavs called him) was almost certainly a swede, not finnish descent. You should read the history and stop propagating false info.

He fought the finnish-ugric tribes and the slavs of the region (NW of Present day Russia) and was defeated by these tribes (hardly makes him the toughest viking :lol: )

Later the slavs and the finnish-ugric tribes started fighting among themselves and Rurik (along with his brothers) were invited back by these tribes to establish peace and order. And thus began the Rurikid dynasty.

Later the Finnish-ugric tribes and the varangian (i.e. viking) family of swedish stock were both assimilated into Slavic culture.

Maybe that's why the German term Finlandization came into being. Finlandization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I said that Russians respect us. Did red Army parade in Helsinki? Did they raise the flag over Finnish parliament house? Many times Russians have said me that Finns beat them.

pmaitra

Everybody in Russia knows that Rurik was the son of a Finnish king. It was even taught in schools until Finland became grand duchy, then they stopped teaching it. Also Catherine the Great knew it, being a relative herself.
Prince Rurik was a Viking. A Varangian is another word for Viking.

The Vikings/Varangians did not come from Finland. They came from what is Sweden and Denmark today.

The Vikings/Varangians came and settled in what is Finland today. The Finnic tribes were forced to pay tribute to the Vikings/Varangians.

Therefore, the Vikings/Varangians are not Finnish, and hence that term "Finnish Varangian" (that you used) means nothing, unless you can prove that Prince Rurik descended, at least partly, from the Finnic tribes.

pmaitra

@Razor, good piece of information.

Yes, it is true that there were frequent quarrels, and at times one side would win a battle, and at times, another side would. Overall, however, the Vikings did manage to establish a major polity (still much smaller than what is Russia today), and that is only after being assimilated with the Slavonic and Uralic tribes.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Everybody in Russia knows that Rurik was the son of a Finnish king. It was even taught in schools until Finland became grand duchy, then they stopped teaching it.
That is false information. Probably propagated because they didn't want to think that Russia was established by n assimilated Slav of Swedish stock.
I thought it was well known that Rurik (Roderik) was of Swedish descent, apparently not very well known in Finland.

Also Catherine the Great knew it, being a relative herself.
That is also false information.
Wow. The level of ignorance. Wow.

jouni

Prince Rurik was a Viking. A Varangian is another word for Viking.

The Vikings/Varangians did not come from Finland. They came from what is Sweden and Denmark today.

The Vikings/Varangians came and settled in what is Finland today. The Finnic tribes were forced to pay tribute to the Vikings/Varangians.

Therefore, the Vikings/Varangians are not Finnish, and hence that term "Finnish Varangian" (that you used) means nothing, unless you can prove that Prince Rurik descended, at least partly, from the Finnic tribes.
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/rurikid/default.aspx?section=yresults

https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/varangian-dna

pmaitra

Thank you.

The second link you provided actually proves @Razor and me right. It also proves that Prince Rurik did not descend from the Finnic tribes.

Excerpt:
After watching a documentry on Family history and DNA tracing, I started to look into it and stumbled apon the fact that there is a Varangain DNA code that they have found which has been linked to Rurik of Novgorod the first Varanian Rus Ruler in Russia.
Nicknames: "Рюрик Мирный "Prince of Novgorod""
Birthdate: circa 815
Birthplace: Sweden on the Roslagen seashore (north of Stockholm)
Death: Died 879 in Novgorod, Novgorodskaya oblast, Russia

Occupation: was a Varangian chieftain who gained control of Ladoga in 862, built the Holmgard settlement near Novgorod, Prince Of Holmgård (Novgorod), Ryska rikets grundare, and founded the Rurik Dynasty which ruled Russia until the 17th century.

There is a debate over how Rurik came to control Ladoga and Novgorod. The only information about him is contained in the 12th-century Russian Primary Chronicle, which states that Chuds, Slavs, Merias, Veses and Krivichs ""¦drove the Varangians back beyond the sea, refused to pay them tribute, and set out to govern themselves". Afterwards the tribes started fighting each other and decided to invite Rurik to reestablish order. Rurik remained in power until his death in 879.
[HR][/HR]

Facebook, therefore, ignored.

pmaitra

Quick questions: Do you even read what you post ?
And do you think people here will not read it ?
It is called "equality over excellence." :lol:

jouni

Quick questions: Do you even read what you post ?
And do you think people here will not read it ?
With your locig pmaitra is an american LOL

pmaitra

No, that is your logic.

Just because the Varangians arrived in and lived in that lands the belonged to the Finnic tribes, does not make the Varangians Finnish. Similarly, just because I live in the US, does not make me a Cherokee or Navajo, but yes, I do believe the the Native Americans and Indians have a common ancestor, but that is a debate best left to another thread.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

You said he was a finnish (king). Wrong.
Everything about him is Scandinavian, not Finnish. Even his name Rurik is Germanic Roderik.
Point is: he isn't finnish.

jouni

You said he was a finnish (king). Wrong.
Everything about him is Scandinavian, not Finnish. Even his name Rurik is Germanic Roderik.
Point is: he isn't finnish.
You guys are great! Digestive this for few days, then we can talk more.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

You guys are great! Digestive this for few days, then we can talk more.
Great argument point. Splendid.

Meanwhile did you read my post #32 ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles