President Pratibha Patil's foreign trips cost record Rs 205 crore

Blackwater

president and governors in India r useless fellows. Enjoying protocol ,cutting ribbon at someone restaurants or saloon ,moving in free Mercedes , living in 100 of acres of mansion ,nothing else.

we should change this gora system

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Obama spent more than 205 crore in his one trip to India.

There is no point in moaning over these things but one can always question her personal overtures.
but isnt president of america is executive head and not like india where president is just titular head (or rubber stamp)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
and what use is the queen in uk ?

If president wasn't off in different countries then prime minister would have to do it. cost would still be the same.

Blackwater

and what use is the queen in uk ?

If president wasn't off in different countries then prime minister would have to do it. cost would still be the same.
Queen in UK is UK problem. cost in India is double. as president and prime minister travels lot. we can understand prime minister travel but president, its useless

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Queen in UK is UK problem. cost in India is double. as president and prime minister travels lot. we can understand prime minister travel but president, its useless
200 crore is nothing amount. not even 0.01% of our gdp. scams are happening in thousands and lacks of crores. president in most cases carries the voice of the prime minister so that the pm himself doesn't have to go. otherwise pm will be out of the country most of times...so in order for pm to stay in India more and look into internal matters the president is sent to other countries.

there is no reason to cry over it.

ganesh177

Country flag
I was more blown off when i read about her taking flight in sukhoi.
I mean lady so old, what was she trying to do with that adventure?

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
I was more blown off when i read about her taking flight in sukhoi."¨I mean lady so old, what was she trying to do with that adventure?
"¨"¨:rofl: +1

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Its good fun to be the President!

Giri too had a ball!

Both are Adventurers!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
we can understand prime minister travel but president, its useless
But then she does exhibits some lovely sarees abroad.

I wonder if they are her own or State property that becomes one's own!

Vishwarupa

Country flag
President took along kin on Seychelles-South Africa trip

NEW DELHI: With less than three months of her tenure remaining, President Pratibha Patil appears to have courted another controversy after government sources confirmed that two grandchildren had accompanied the President on a nine-day tour of Seychelles and South Africa.

Political watchers expressed concern over the disregard for public perception, especially as this comes close on the heels of media reports based on an RTI response that Patil's travel tab of Rs 205 crore had surpassed those of her predecessors.

Since assuming office in July 2007, Patil has undertaken 12 foreign trips covering 22 countries across four continents.

A series of RTI applications had shown that Air India spent over Rs 169 crore on use of chartered aircraft, always a Boeing 747-400, on the foreign visits of Patil, who is mostly accompanied by her family members. The MEA spent Rs 36 crore on accommodation, local travel, daily allowance and "miscellaneous" expenses.

Patil has so far visited Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Bhutan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Spain, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, the UK, Cyprus, China, Laos, Cambodia, the UAE, Syria, Mauritius, South Korea, Switzerland and Austria spending a total of 79 days abroad.

Her predecessor A P J Abdul Kalam undertook seven trips to 17 countries during his five-year tenure. Before that, K R Narayanan covered 10 countries in six trips and S D Sharma 16 countries in four trips, according to the RTI reply.

In her defence, the President's office argued that comparison of foreign trips was unfair since such visits were "undertaken on the basis of standing invitations received from countries abroad and after the need to undertake such a visit has been appraised and recommended by the ministry of external affairs and the Prime Minister's Office''.

A Rashtrapati Bhawan spokesperson had pointed out that India's rising global profile had led to "enhanced engagement'' with other countries. It was also denied that Patil was accompanied "mostly by family members'', arguing that the official delegation included ministers, MPs and senior functionaries of the government besides support and security staff constituting part of the accompanying delegation.

President took along kin on Seychelles-South Africa trip - The Times of India

Nagraj

1. obama is president of a 14 trillion $ economy.
2. He is the real president not a figure head.

Obama spent more than 205 crore in his one trip to India.

There is no point in moaning over these things but one can always question her personal overtures.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Pratibha Patil should be awarded 2nd term.

She will at least keep the Air India flying in these uncertain times.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Pratibha Patil should be awarded 2nd term.

She will at least keep the Air India flying in these uncertain times.
The problem is that Govt. also does not pay to AI on time. And for VIP visits AI has to keep a spare plane for emergency purpose.

Nagraj

Dude c'on
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
isn't corruption a form of injustice??
same goes for wastage of exchequer ??
200 crore is nothing amount. not even 0.01% of our gdp. scams are happening in thousands and lacks of crores. president in most cases carries the voice of the prime minister so that the pm himself doesn't have to go. otherwise pm will be out of the country most of times...so in order for pm to stay in India more and look into internal matters the president is sent to other countries.

there is no reason to cry over it.

Nagraj

mayfair

I am furious at the President's kith and kin abusing their proximity to the highest office in land for unethical and immoral personal gains.

I am irritated by the fact that she has chosen to pardon more henious criminals than any of her predecessors.

I am anguished by the fact that the highest (even if ceremonial) office in the land has been demoted to this level.

Viewed in the prism of these, hissing around about the cost of her foreign travels is like fussing over the rusted lock, long after the horse has bolted the bloody stable.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The state heads of all countries travel with their spouse and kids on foreign trips. This is not anything new or preposterous.

Let us give her benefit of doubt that she achieved something in these meetings although she is no more than a figurehead. Also when she goes out other state-heads do not see her as a Barbie Doll, but as a President of an emergent world-power.

On the calculations part I am not sure if we count inflation and other adjustments, that she would still top the list.

P.S. Elect a bachelor as President and then one can avoid expenses of his/her family members!!!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
KR Narayan spent Presidential resources to drink his ass off.

And this lady wastes fortune on foreign trips. (She is a exquisite host though)

Please scrap this President's position & turn Rashtrapati Bhavan into a luxury hotel.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles