PRALAY: India’s New Under Development Conventional Strike Surface-to-Surface Missile

Enquirer

If Parlay is more or less Solid fueled Prithvi then what is the need to build it.
I think purpose of Pralay maybe to incorporate all the latest technologies/techniques mastered over decades - Prithvi is 40 year old tech now (in terms of materials, engine, propellants, guidance etc.).

Further, the fact this is single-staged also hints at the desire to produce these cheaply and probably in large quantities. Shaurya & other two-staged Prithvi will definitely be more expensive (not to mention complicated) with two engines, binding/separation mechanisms etc.

1 tonne payload capability may also help Pralay to carry some kind of glide bomb or short-range missile to extend the terminal range , now that DRDO does have the capability to do so ( just speculating here).

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I think purpose of Pralay maybe to incorporate all the latest technologies/techniques mastered over decades - Prithvi is 40 year old tech now (in terms of materials, engine, propellants, guidance etc.).

Further, the fact this is single-staged also hints at the desire to produce these cheaply and probably in large quantities. Shaurya & other two-staged Prithvi will definitely be more expensive (not to mention complicated) with two engines, binding/separation mechanisms etc.

1 tonne payload capability may also help Pralay to carry some kind of glide bomb or short-range missile to extend the terminal range , now that DRDO does have the capability to do so ( just speculating here).
Not to forget...
when was the last time in india a missile(medium to high complexity) was developed design to testing within two-three years. that too for just 330 crores.

if not for anything else, pralay should be remembered for it's fast development phase.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Not to forget...
when was the last time in india a missile(medium to high complexity) was developed design to testing within two-three years. that too for just 330 crores.

if not for anything else, pralay should be remembered for it's fast development phase.
Agni 1 was done after Kargil war.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Agni development : Late 1999 to 2002(First test)
Pralay development : Mid 2015 to 2018(First test)

Moral of the story : Missile development or indigenous weapons development in general is faster when BJP is in central government....
19th March 1998 Atal Bihari Vajpai BJP government comes to power.
11th May 1998 India test 3 nuclear bombs including hydrogen bomb......2months only:india:

Moral of the story:
BJP government: Nationalist Pro India.
GANDU CON-gress: ANTI-NATIONAL...:shoot::shoot::shoot:

Advaidhya Tiwari

Agni development : Late 1999 to 2002(First test)
Pralay development : Mid 2015 to 2018(First test)

Moral of the story : Missile development or indigenous weapons development in general is faster when BJP is in central government....
Not to forget...

Agni 1 was done after Kargil war.
Agni was first tested in 1989. The Agni-1 was already developed to a reasonable extent by the time Vajpayee had come in 1998. NDA developed Agni-2 missile after 1999 and inducted it in 2002, in just 3 years.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Agni was first tested in 1989. The Agni-1 was already developed to a reasonable extent by the time Vajpayee had come in 1998. NDA developed Agni-2 missile after 1999 and inducted it in 2002, in just 3 years.
It was Agni-TD; then it was converted into Agni. Agni 2 was then renamed Agni 1. Agni was renamed Agni2. Just for records.

Indrajit

Country flag
19th March 1998 Atal Bihari Vajpai BJP government comes to power.
11th May 1998 India test 3 nuclear bombs including hydrogen bomb......2months only:india:

Moral of the story:
BJP government: Nationalist Pro India.
GANDU CON-gress: ANTI-NATIONAL...:shoot::shoot::shoot:
Yup, in 2 months, they designed, built and tested a hydrogen bomb........:biggrin2:

Reactions: G10

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Lets get back to topic guys, its NOTAM will be interesting @kurup please keep an eye and post the same here as well as, at NOTAM thread.

After 3-4 flight its NOTAM should be interesting.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Under what situations Pralay may be used. I mean what can it do that an Agni I or Brahmos cant. I know Brahmos is a cruise missile but its range is comparable to Pralay.:yo:
To put things in a more simple manner............
Agni is under SFC. So basically its not a TBM like Pralay and can't be used in a theater. Nod would have to come from topmost level (read PMO).
BRAHMOS cost around 20crore per missile. So a cheap alternative like Pralay is much sought after.

Advaidhya Tiwari

To put things in a more simple manner............
Agni is under SFC. So basically its not a TBM like Pralay and can't be used in a theater. Nod would have to come from topmost level (read PMO).
BRAHMOS cost around 20crore per missile. So a cheap alternative like Pralay is much sought after.
Cost of brahmos can be decreased as indigenisation increases. Already 85% of parts by value have been indigenised or under developmental trials

Brahmos has its own use and is different from Pralay. Brahmos has homing ability due to seeker while Pralay is unlikely to have that. Both serve different purpose

Chinmoy

Country flag
Cost of brahmos can be decreased as indigenisation increases. Already 85% of parts by value have been indigenised or under developmental trials

Brahmos has its own use and is different from Pralay. Brahmos has homing ability due to seeker while Pralay is unlikely to have that. Both serve different purpose
I just replied to what @indus asked in simple language.

I too know that both are diff system and have specific usage in battlefield.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Under what situations Pralay may be used. I mean what can it do that an Agni I or Brahmos cant. I know Brahmos is a cruise missile but its range is comparable to Pralay.:yo:
Pralay is useful in precision strike of high value target. It will be a quasi ballistic missile which will act like cruise missile in its terminal phase which shall be very difficult to intercept. Brahmos can do all jobs that Pralay can do but they are costly and pay load is just 1/3rd of Pralay.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The Agni-1 was already developed to a reasonable extent by the time Vajpayee had come in 1998.
Infact this was not the current Agni 1 but the first missile tested was 2 stage missile which ultimately became Agni II. Agni I with single stage was developed later which became Agni I P with TVC and composite motor and latest guidance system.

no smoking

Country flag
Agni I is an old missile designed with 30 years ago technology with the purpose of strategic strike: the accuracy, maintenance requirement, reaction time, don't make it suitable for field weapon;
Brahmos is a cruise missile which requires long time to plan the attack, not so good for those time limited tasks or moving target.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Agni I is an old missile designed with 30 years ago technology
Absolutely wrong. Agni 1 P has all the latest technologies available anywhere like composite high power motor, Latest guidance system, TVC control. canister etc. Why Pralay is required is because of its unique trajectory and accuracy it gets because of the technology of BMD used in it and its capability to do precision strike with high payload at low cost. It has great BMD avoidance features.

no smoking

Country flag
Absolutely wrong. Agni 1 P has all the latest technologies available anywhere like composite high power motor, Latest guidance system, TVC control. canister etc.
With all these upgrading, it doesn't change the fact that this missile was not designed to carry out field attacking mission unless you are going to change from the beginning: the whole missile structure. But if you do that, you will get a new missile which has nothing to do with Agni 1 anymore.

Why Pralay is required is because of its unique trajectory and accuracy it gets because of the technology of BMD used in it and its capability to do precision strike with high payload at low cost. It has great BMD avoidance features.
I am not sure how it is low cost if you use the technologies from BMD system.
Also, the unique trajectory or BMD avodiance features are not the key of this kind of missiles. The keys are: low cost; low maintenance; quick reaction; flexible for multiple mission types.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
With all these upgrading, it doesn't change the fact that this missile was not designed to carry out field attacking mission unless you are going to change from the beginning: the whole missile structure. But if you do that, you will get a new missile which has nothing to do with Agni 1 anymore.
You must know that the new technologies have come in since Agni IV and that has gone into all old missile. Agni III which has declared Weight of 48 tons is now reduced to only 23 tons. This is the level of changes new technologies have bough in missile technology. So when you talk of any missile, it is always a new version. You can not just say that Agni 1 has old technologies keeping in the mind. of Agni I of 2001. Same is true for Agni II and Agni III.

The keys are: low cost;
This is a tricky word. Low cost compared to what? It is certainly not low cost compared to Agni but certainly Cheaper than Brahmos. The question here is that why not use Agni I instead of Pralay? Because it can not strike like a cruise missile and has not the survival capability of Pralay. Pralay can be used for precision strike with around 800 KG payload. So this is a highly specific missile and hence the development was done on priority basis.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
You must know that the new technologies have come in since Agni IV and that has gone into all old missile. Agni III which has declared Weight of 48 tons is now reduced to only 23 tons. This is the level of changes new technologies have bough in missile technology. So when you talk of any missile, it is always a new version. You can not just say that Agni 1 has old technologies keeping in the mind. of Agni I of 2001. Same is true for Agni II and Agni III.

This is a tricky word. Low cost compared to what? It is certainly not low cost compared to Agni but certainly Cheaper than Brahmos. The question here is that why not use Agni I instead of Pralay? Because it can not strike like a cruise missile and has not the survival capability of Pralay. Pralay can be used for precision strike with around 800 KG payload. So this is a highly specific missile and hence the development was done on priority basis.
Are the modified Agni 1P, Agni III and IV in production yet? If we already have the sanctioned number of Agni III and IV in stock, than we will not see the improved variant inducted until the first batch of missiles is beyond its shelf life.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles