PRALAY: India’s New Under Development Conventional Strike Surface-to-Surface Missile

Chinmoy

Country flag
The war heads are interesting..............

Wonder what kind of PF warhead it would be. Hope its a thermobaric one for devastating impact.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The war heads are interesting..............

Wonder what kind of PF warhead it would be. Hope its a thermobaric one for devastating impact.
All our ballistic missiles can carry a variety of warheads which include nuclear, biological, Chemical and conventional which includes FAE or thermobaric warheads. The first three, needless to say, are banned by international conventions - but who cares? As they say, all's fair in love and war!
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Willy3

Country flag
Our iskander:drool: , time to make export version with<300 km range, big market available in SEAsia and Africa

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Reinventing the wheel? For a range of 500-700km and a 1000kg warhead, the Agni 1's range could have been modified somewhat. It already is fitted with Ring Laser Gyro- INS, optionally augmented by GPS Terminal Guidance. With radar scene correlation the accuracy could be increased to < 10m CEP.

We already have the wherewithal for the Agni series of missiles. This would have resulted in standardization. A new missile would again need an altogether different set of requirements including new assembly lines, testing facilities, storage and so on.

Duh! Or am I missing something here?
So far as i know pralay is made in on concept of shaurya but speed is decreased to improve accuracy. It will be a quasi ballistic missile which will cruise like a cruise missile in terminal phase to strike target with a great accuracy.

Reactions: Kay

Enquirer

That is the 80s tatra 815 (@pmaitra can you confirm if I'm right?). Again, it was designed to be a regular truck first. The chassis is then modified to suit different roles. There are all versions from cranes to firefighting 815 trucks.

Pakistanis are using modern Chinese TELs which are designed to be TELs (but derived from tatra models) from the ground up (better off road ability and performance). Even the smaller Chinese Cruise missile TELs are powered by a 600bhp engine. I think we are using a less powerful cummins version (again, pmaitra sir please confirm and also share your views).

A TEL that's designed ground up to be a TEL is always better than a truck that's converted to a TEL.

Do point out if I'm missing something
Remember that Agnis and Prithvis are built on 30 yr old technology!
-They're not canisterized (that reduces their shelf life).
- Further most of the Agnis & Prithvis are probably about 20 years old already - ready for retirement.
- Why rebuild more examples of ancient/unreliable technology? It might be more difficult to procure old technology components!
- Much of the analog components are probably very expensive too. Newer digital tech will be a lot cheaper too.
- Agni/Prithvis are not GPS enabled!

Makes perfect sense to take advantage of new electronics and expertise gained by DRDO from decades of missile design to build something that'll last into the next 20-30 years!

scatterStorm

Country flag
Remember that Agnis and Prithvis are built on 30 yr old technology!
-They're not canisterized (that reduces their shelf life).
- Further most of the Agnis & Prithvis are probably about 20 years old already - ready for retirement.
- Why rebuild more examples of ancient/unreliable technology? It might be more difficult to procure old technology components!
- Much of the analog components are probably very expensive too. Newer digital tech will be a lot cheaper too.
- Agni/Prithvis are not GPS enabled!

Makes perfect sense to take advantage of new electronics and expertise gained by DRDO from decades of missile design to build something that'll last into the next 20-30 years!
Analog is reliable, at least to all the ECM shit going on these days today.

Enquirer

Analog is reliable, at least to all the ECM shit going on these days today.
That statement is wrong at so many levels:
- Firstly if it's seeker/homing signals that you're referring to then analog signals are more prone to jamming than signals that are digitized and in spread spectrum
- Secondly if it's electronic components you're talking about then the analog material properties could change over time and produce outputs outside of desired range. Digital electronics has built in fuzzy logic to always compute correctly (even the transducers nowadays are solid state!)
- Lastly, analog components of same quality/accuracy as digital counterparts are normally 10x-100x more expensive.

scatterStorm

Country flag
That statement is wrong at so many levels:
- Firstly if it's seeker/homing signals that you're referring to then analog signals are more prone to jamming than signals that are digitized and in spread spectrum
- Secondly if it's electronic components you're talking about then the analog material properties could change over time and produce outputs outside of desired range. Digital electronics has built in fuzzy logic to always compute correctly (even the transducers nowadays are solid state!)
- Lastly, analog components of same quality/accuracy as digital counterparts are normally 10x-100x more expensive.
You are right, but I gave a thought about why I wrote that some subsystems must be analog. It could be the electro-mechanical switches that are more prone to jamming or even frying mobo.

Seeker or anything related to navigation and detection should bot be analog. But actuators with electronic switch which most likely will get the beating should be.

Prashant12

Country flag
Pralay set for maiden launch

India is all set to conduct the maiden test of its brand new surface-to-surface tactical Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) developed under a classified project, code-named Pralay.

BHUBANESWAR:India is all set to conduct the maiden test of its brand new surface-to-surface tactical Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) developed under a classified project, code-named Pralay.Elaborate preparation is underway as the missile will be flight tested from a canister mobile launcher any time between September 20 and 22 from a defence test facility off Odisha coast.

As the missile has to follow a manoeuverable trajectory, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has planned to evacuate people residing in three km area of the launching complex. This is for the first time that people are being evacuated from a large area.

A defence official on Friday told ‘The Express’ that the home-grown missile Pralay can be comparable with China’s Dongfeng 12 and Russia’s 9K720 Iskander, both short-range tactical ballistic missiles.
“The experimental trial is aimed at validating the technologies incorporated in the system for the first time and gauging the fire power. If weather permits, the missile will be test fired as scheduled,” he told this paper over phone from New Delhi.

Indigenously designed and developed by DRDO, the missile is a derivative of Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) exo-atmospheric interceptor missile, capable of destroying enemy weapons at high altitudes.Pralay, which is much faster and accurate, has a strike range of 350 km to 500 km and weighs around five tonne. With a payload of 1000 kg, it can travel a distance of 350 km. If the payload is halved, the missile will be able to hit a target as far as 500 km.

Fuelled by composite propellant and developed by Pune-based High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), it uses inertial navigation system for mid-course guidance.Since India’s most of the SRBMs are for strategic strike purposes, development of tactical Pralay was necessitated after the army sought for a 500-km range SRBM that can carry a sizable payload.

Meanwhile, the MoD has asked Balasore district administration to be ready for evacuation of people within a radius of three km from the Integrated Test Range.“Earlier people were being evacuated within a radius of two km for test of certain missiles. But this time, the evacuation area has been extended to a radius of three km,” said a district official.

Nearly three years after the project was sanctioned in March, 2015 at a cost of nearly `333 crore, the DRDO had unveiled some information on the missile at the Defence Expo 2018 held at Chennai in April this year.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/2018/sep/08/pralay-set-for-maiden-launch-1869189.html

Reactions: Kay

Hari Sud

Country flag
If Parlay is more or less Solid fueled Prithvi then what is the need to build it.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Under what situations Pralay may be used. I mean what can it do that an Agni I or Brahmos cant. I know Brahmos is a cruise missile but its range is comparable to Pralay.:yo:

NeXoft007

Country flag
Under what situations Pralay may be used. I mean what can it do that an Agni I or Brahmos cant. I know Brahmos is a cruise missile but its range is comparable to Pralay.:yo:
Here's my theory
[P.S. Some of the numbers provided below are not made official]

Pralay is a derivative of Shaurya, so it inherits characteristics of both ballistic missile like Agni and cruise missile like Brahmos. It has quasi-ballistic flight trajectory and can be used as both surface-to-surface missile (SSM) and Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile (AShBM)

Pralay comes with two warhead options : 350kg and 700kg

The 700kg warhead variant of Pralay could be deployed at Northern Sectors, against targets in China-occupied Tibet, Pakistan and PoK. The variant will replace Prithvi TBMs and have a range of 500km. And it's the best answer to China's DF-12 TBM.

The 350kg warhead variant with Anti-Ship capability however, could be deployed at Coastal Areas or at islands. Indian Navy still uses old Soviet Rubezh Coastal Defense Missile based on P-15 with just 80km range. Brahmos isn't considered yet. So it's likely that Pralay will replace them and have a range of >800km.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles