Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
so from single TEL for Prithvi, commander now has option for 6 Prahaar missile that too for 360 degree attack for same range............ it is almost like having 6 Prithvi with commander per vehicle........................:hail: DRDO.............:thumb:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I thought only the earliest baseline model 150Km range Prithvi are being withdrawn.

Never knew the Prithvis which have 250-350Km range are also being withdrawn. :sad:

That is why:
The DRDO Chief said after the withdrawal of the tactical ballistic missiles from service, there would be a gap in strike capabilities in the range of 100 to 150 km-range.

bennedose

Re: Prithvi missiles to be replaced by more-capable Prahar: DRDO

Don't know - If I should be proud of this achievement OR should worry that we are not even near to capabilities (in term of miniaturization of weapons and weapon launch systems) that US possess in late 1950s.
Are you comparing with the US because the US is best in the world and India should be like the US or because you have some insight into history that suggests that India could easily have got there a few decades ago.

rajsking

Country flag

Are you comparing with the US because the US is best in the world and India should be like the US or because you have some insight into history that suggests that India could easily have got there a few decades ago.
Partially - the first one. Happened to read about top ten submarines.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-navy/10-atv-ins-arihant-100.html#post853912

Read more about these machines - especially US George Washington - as it was of similar weight and role as Arihant. Then compared its missiles, nuke payloads with ours (planned).

I am not from defense background - so no inside info. :)

ladder

Country flag

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-navy/10-atv-ins-arihant-100.html#post853912

Read more about these machines - especially US George Washington - as it was of similar weight and role as Arihant. Then compared its missiles, nuke payloads with ours (planned).

Weight (displacement) and number of warhead carried isn't the only criteria isn't it? or is it?

If I were to ask you what has changed in Assault rifle technology and bullets from 1947 when Ak-47 was put to production and now? what would be your answer?

In the outset we still use that technology isn't it? But, if you go deeper you would find how much work has been done with ballistics.

Similarly, If I were to put, detection technologies have vastly improved from 1960's and if we are building a sub. which we are confident that it would do it's job quietly and efficiently in that environment, that statement alone speaks volumes about that it's technological inputs are vastly and generations ahead of 1960's tech.

Last edited:

bennedose

Fair enough. It is fine to compare with the best as long as the attitude is not one of contempt without background knowledge of the state of Industrial development in India in 1945, versus the US in 1945.

Did you read this recent news:

Indian aerospace industry faces talent shortage: HAL chairman - The Times of India
Noting that a mere two percent of Indian population had vocational skills as against the ratio of 75 percent in Germany, 96 percent in Korea, 80 percent in Japan and 68 percent in Britain, Tyagi said coordination, direction and role definition were some of the human resource challenges HAL had faced during the LCA's development.
There is a scientific paper available online written by an Indian industrialist who wrote (in 1941), commenting on the fact that India was producing only 23,000 tons of Suphuric acid per annum.
..taking the case of only one heavy chemical. namely sulphuric acid, countries like USA, Germany, France and Belgium , - every one of those countries was preparing sulphuric acid over a million tons per year. <snip> From this point, India perhaps occupies the bottom-most position in the world.
<snip>
The modern explosive industry requires cellulose, glycerine, nitric and sulphuric acids in large quantities. So far there is only one factory in India under military control to manufacture cordite. By all accounts this is a very small factory. In the scheme of national defence, sooner or later, probably sooner than we think, we shall have to provide for the manufacture of explosives for both civil and military purposes.

laughingbuddha

Country flag
So Prahaar is the reason why the army is not tearing its hair out for not getting the artillery it needs so badly.
What is the projected deployment? And any info on range extension?

bhramos

Country flag

laughingbuddha

Country flag
I'm sure the export variant will be a toned down version of the domestic version as is the norm. Nevertheless, a potent tactical missile.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Increase range on same rocket means, Lighter warhead ..

sgarg

Prahaar is supposed to be used against fixed military targets. Excellent weapon against ammunition dumps, C&C facilities, fixed radar installations etc.

It may have use against airfields too if warhead can disperse sub-munitions to cover larger area. A few fired against an airfield can render it non-operational for at least some time.

Good practical weapon system. Need to be manufactured in large quantities.

morgoth

So far, I remember having come across news report of just one Prahaar test. Were there more explicit tests? I know that the short, dark, rice eating, dhoti wearing, lungi dancing bharatiyas conduct various missile tests under the guise of the Prithvi / Dhanush test

sgarg

So far, I remember having come across news report of just one Prahaar test. Were there more explicit tests? I know that the short, dark, rice eating, dhoti wearing, lungi dancing bharatiyas conduct various missile tests under the guise of the Prithvi / Dhanush test
This is non-strategic missile. They will not announce the test.

ladder

Country flag
Each AAD test fired is related to Prahaar as AAD and Prahaar share basic sub-systems.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles