Power failure in Northern India due to Grid Fault

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The outage made the news on radio here in the States.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
India blackout leaves 300 million without power - chicagotribune.com
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Grid failure left more than 300 million people without power in New Delhi and much of northern India for hours on Monday in the worst blackout for more than a decade, highlighting chronic infrastructure woes holding back Asia's third-largest economy.

The lights in Delhi and seven states went out in the early hours, leaving the capital's workers sweltering overnight and then stranded at metro stations in the morning rush hour as trains were cancelled.

Electricity supplies were restored to Delhi and much of Uttar Pradesh, a state with more people than Brazil, by midday (0630 GMT). But the states of Rajasthan, Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir were still without full power in the early evening.

Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said all power would be restored within hours.

Power shortages and a creaky road and rail network have weighed heavily on the country's efforts to industrialize. Grappling with the slowest economic growth in nine years, Delhi recently scaled back a target to pump $1 trillion into infrastructure over the next five years.

Major industries have dedicated power plants or large diesel generators and are shielded from outages -- but the inconsistent supply affects investment and disrupts small businesses. Office blocks, hotels and large apartment buildings all use backup diesel generators.

Chaos reigned on Delhi's always-hectic roads on Monday as stop lights failed and thousands of commuters abandoned the metro. Water pumping stations ran dry.

"First, no power since 2 in the morning, then no water to take a shower and now the metro is delayed by 13 minutes after being stuck in traffic for half an hour," said 32-year-old Keshav Shah, who works 30 km outside the capital.

"As if I wasn't dreading Monday enough, this had to happen."

The government's top economic planning adviser, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, said the blackout may have been caused by a mix of coal shortages and other problems on the grid.

"I've no doubt that this is the area that we need to show improved performance in, and we also need show a clear sense of what we are doing to prevent it," Ahluwalia told Reuters at his office, where power had been restored some hours earlier.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Morning I had to drop my son to school, which is about 5 Kms from home, the whole trip took me around 90 minutes.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Now terrorists have understood one more weak point of India that we don't have power backups and it's easy to fail a power grid :dude:

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Rajnikanth has issued an apology, he has now removed his phone from charging.
"¨"¨"©Looks like he plugged his ph charger again...:rotflmao: Again Northern Grid is down.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I'm seriously starting to think this is an actual Cyber attack, twice in two days. also I've been talking to people at NDMC and they seriously don't believe this should happen in the rainy season, the hottest months have already passed.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
New Delhi: Less than 24 hours after power was restored in northern India, the northern as well as the eastern power grid failed within minutes of each other on Tuesday afternoon.

The second consecutive day of power failure in Northern India has hit the entire region with even trains on the Indian Railway network stopping on track. Around 100 trains are believed to be stuck en-route across the region.

The situation is serious in national capital, Delhi, where most areas are facing a blackout with even Metro train service coming to a standstill.

As per reports, some trains on the underground section of the city's lifeline are stuck inside tunnels. Many traffic signals have also failed in the city leading to traffic jams.

The situation is similar in Chandigarh, Lucknow and other cities in the region. The states in North India that are facing outage are Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh.

Eastern Grid trips

The situation is no better in eastern states like west Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha. As per reports there is no power in the eastern metropolis, Kolkata, severely affecting metro and tram services.

The situation is equally bad in Patna, Ranchi and Bhubaneswar. On Monday, seven states in the northern region saw power trip off at 2.32 am due to a major breakdown in the Northern Grid - an interconnected transmission network that delivers electricity from various power generating stations to distribution utilities.

The power trip had occurred near Agra, the city of the Taj Majal, but officials were unable to say what caused the massive breakdown.

Today also, the fault is believed to have originated from the same location.

Last time such a crisis took place was in 2001, when it took 16 hours to restore normalcy.

Massive power crisis again: Northern, Eastern grids fail

ani82v

Country flag
I'm seriously starting to think this is an actual Cyber attack, twice in two days. also I've been talking to people at NDMC and they seriously don't believe this should happen in the rainy season, the hottest months have already passed.
Because the rainy season hasn't been rainy enough.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The last time in 2001 it happened due to fog in the winters. Please remember that in North India rains have been poor and farmers have been running pumps drawing ground water to irrigate crops. No state Government is going to keep the power consumption down and risk agitating the farmers.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
metro has just started its service after 2 hours. I am inside metro train, they are sending one train after 10 minutes. It is frustrating, just like everthing has stop and autowala are making killing.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Power Grids are collapsing like India been attacked from two fronts. Congress-I has made India a weak corrupt dysfunctional state.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Blackout for 19 states, more than 600 million Indians

:facepalm:

Gandhis please spare us

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
^^Barbad-e-Gulistaan Karne ko to ek hi Ullu kaafi tha !
Yahan har shaakh pe Ullu baitha hai Anjam-e-Gulistan kya hoga ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles