Pmaitra

Status
Not open for further replies.

genius

Tihar Jail
Banned
On another thread, you said:

A comma may be used to separate two dependent clauses.

Commas | Punctuation Rules

Check 3b, 3c, and 10.

If you need help understanding your error (". . . but where is the independent clause following that?"), reply in Chit Chat Thread.

Please do enlighten me. I am waiting for your terrific explanations on English grammar.:rofl:

pmaitra

@Ray Sir, pardon me for speaking after you. I just wanted to point out to @genius that using bombastic words without understanding them will not earn him any credibility. I think this petulant individual's chicanery needs to be nipped in the bud.

[HR][/HR]

On another thread, you said:

Check 3b, 3c, and 10.

If you need help understanding your error (". . . but where is the independent clause following that?"), reply in Chit Chat Thread.

Please do enlighten me. I am waiting for your terrific explanations on English grammar.:rofl:
Also you said: Thread closed, and re-opened on user's request.

There is no need to use a comma in this instance because 're-opened on user's request' is NOT an independent clause. A comma is used to separate independent clauses, remember? You've used 'and' as a coordinating conjunction, but where is the independent clause following that? Learn to use a comma properly before lecturing other people on grammar. :rofl:

Check 3b, 3c, and 10.

@genius, please pay close attention to what I am saying.

• A thread that is open, cannot be opened.
  • A thread that is closed, cannot be closed.
  • A closed thread can be opened.
  • An open thread can be closed.

Therefore, "closed" precedes "re-opened." That prefix "re" indicates this a non-initial opening of the thread in general (notice, there is no subject, or is ambiguous.)

So what did you learn? These two clauses are dependent.

I used "and" to give equal emphasis to both, despite the fact that the second clause is subordinate to the former.

Please validate the correct usage of "and" for emphasis (read the entire article), and learn the correct usage of punctuation (comma).

Also you said: Thread closed, and re-opened on user's request.

There is no need to use a comma in this instance because 're-opened on user's request' is NOT an independent clause. (Yes, it is a dependent clause, so?) A comma is used (Check the link to learn how a comma is used.) to separate independent clauses, remember? (So what? There is no independent clause, so why talk about it? Why not talk about the dependent clause?) You've used 'and' as a coordinating conjunction, but where is the independent clause following that? Learn to use a comma properly before lecturing other people on grammar. :rofl:
Giving equal emphasis:
Thread closed, and re-opened on user's request.

Subordination:
Thread re-opened on user's request, after being closed.

Subordination?
Thread closed, and thereafter re-opened on user's request.

Not quite. Unlike "after" in the first example being the subordinating conjunction, "thereafter" is an adverb. The clauses are still dependent, and the "and" is still a coordinating conjunction used to connect two dependent clauses.

Summary:

Your concern was why I used "and."

I needed to explain two actions, where the second action is subordinate to the first, but I wanted to give equal emphasis to both. Therefore, I used "and."

Your concern was with my usage of the comma.

Well, sorry to bust your bubble, the usage is fine.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@genius,

You are quite a card.

First, you display your abysmal ignorance about India, and now you indicate that English Grammar is not your near bred.

Lest you misunderstand my sentence, 'you are a card' and mistake it to be an allusion to being a "Knave' or a 'Joker', let me hasten to amplify what it means. It is a way of saying you're silly.

And so it would not be calling you a Knave by a long chalk. A Jack, also Knave, is a playing card.

And Joker? Same as Jack or Knave. The Joker is a unique playing card found in most modern card decks, as an addition to the standard four suits (clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades). The term "Joker" comes from Jucker, the original German spelling of Euchre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yusuf Welcome our new mods, Kunal, Pmaitra and Civ Introductions & Announcements 76