PM says 'world notices when India and China shake hands'

happy

PM says 'world notices when India and China shake hands', signs border agreement with Li

China and India signed a confidence-building accord on Wednesday to cooperate on border defence following a standoff between armed forces of the two Asian giants in disputed Himalayan territory earlier this year.

The agreement followed a meeting in Beijing between Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and visiting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who also had trade ties on the agenda as India seeks to gain greater access to Chinese markets and attract inbound Chinese investment.

Earlier Singh was received at the Great Hall of the People and accorded a ceremonial Guard of Honour, after which the two leaders met for restricted delegation talks followed by another meeting with full delegations from both sides.
After the talks, the two sides signed a series of agreements including the Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA).

Highlights of India-China joint statement:

What PM Manmohan Singh said:

"¢ Delighted to be in Beijing once again at the invitation of Li Keqiang.

"¢ Li and I have just concluded a very productive round of talks.

"¢ We have agreed that prosperity and progress of Indian and Chinese people will be a major factor of global prosperity.

"¢ We have agreed peace and tranquility must be the foundation of growth for both sides. This will be our strategic benchmark.

"¢ The border defence pact that we have just signed will add to existing agreements to ensure peace on our borders.

"¢ Determined to inject new dynamism in our economic cooperation.

"¢ India-China CEOs forum was also meeting in Beijing in China while I had talks with Li.

"¢ I hope that China will help facilitate visits of Indian nationals to China.

"¢ Agreements and MoUs signed today in various areas - defence, road transport, trans-border rivers, power will build on our cooperation.

"¢ When India and China shake hands, the world notices.

"¢ I look forward to my other engagements with the Chinese leadership.

What Chinese premier Li Keqiang said:

"¢ Express sympathies for the death and loss caused due to cyclone Phailin.

"¢ Like to pay high tribute to the enormous economic and social progress made under the leadership of Manmohan.

"¢ I also appreciate the efforts made by Manmohan Singh to better ties between China and India.

"¢ I chose India as my first overseas destination after becoming the Chinese Premier.

"¢ We have just had frank, sincere talks with India and have signed agreements in various fields.

"¢ We discussed ways to boost political relations and mutual cooperation.

"¢ Both sides have agreed to maintain high level visits.

"¢ We have signed the border agreement, and we hope to maintain peace, tranquility and stability in border areas.

"¢ Two sides have also agreed to hold counter terrorism training in China as well as work together to tackle terror.

"¢ In the area of trade, we have agreed to make full use of existing mechanisms.

"¢ Will also help India to set up industrial zones in the country as well as work on the India-Bangladesh-Myanmar-China corridor.

Singh arrived in Beijing on Tuesday night on a three-day visit. After his talks with Li, he is also scheduled to meet President Xi Jinping later.

In a rare honour for an Indian leader, President Xi Jinping will also host a dinner for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

PM says 'world notices when India and China shake hands', signs border agreement with Li - Hindustan Times

Vishwarupa

Country flag
World is also laughing at us. Ostrich syndrome has affected!!!

China is intruding India everyday but we are quite & denying it. No matter what china does with us we happily sign border agreement. Why should India come up with CBM, why not China doing anything to build our confidence.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And they smirk because they know it means nothing!

happy

They made it a point to honour him because there may never be another PM who is so chicken hearted !!! :scared1:

Dinesh_Kumar

Dr. MMs and his team had a decade to induct artillery and improve border infrastructure, and they have done zilch. At least existing 7-8 divisions on LAC could have been each upgraded with:
> a 155mm battery (Artillery Brigade of Division with 130mm can continue as usual)
> MRBL battery or missile battery
> Upgrades of Mountain roads
> More artillery mules and donkeys
> Radio Comm Gear
> SF Para Team
> 1 Mi-17 Helo for the Division Commander (Major Gen. rank, will be like a force multiplier)

I've not asked much, this is the bare minimum.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The dick head had just signed border pact with China. It was purposed by China in the first place and India had refused it. But suddenly out of the blue this PM signed the same pact. Now whatever Chinese will do at our borders will never be opposed, non of their patrol will be tailed or out scouted and no maneuver in preemption will be conducted by InA.

In short the recent incursion by PLA read bullying has forced India to sign this pact and guess what PLA will do all those pin pricks with impunity the way she has been doing so far.

Shame on this PM and and his handlers.

Compersion

Country flag
The Article in the agreement that has juice is:

Article VI The two sides agree that they shall not follow or tail patrols of the other side in areas where there is no common understanding of the line of actual control in the India-China border areas.
http://www.firstpost.com/india/full...ct-signed-1188753.html?utm_source=ref_article

Why was this article put in. And on whos insistence. Would like to see the original draft by the PRC to see what we gained and what they gained (ah the beauty of international relations).

Does that means both sides will increase patrols to prevent the other side from entering into such areas where there is no common understanding to avoid the article Vi from being implemented. increase manpower and cost requirement.

Does it mean that both sides will return to their bases when "tagged".

Article VIII The two sides agree that if the border defence forces of the two sides come to a face-to-face situation in areas where there is no common understanding of the line of actual control, both sides shall exercise maximum self-restraint, refrain from any provocative actions, not use force or threaten to use force against the other side, treat each other with courtesy and prevent exchange of fire or armed conflict.
Its basically a manual for the both sides to follow to keep the status quo and not allow the below to happen:

Exclusive: Chinese incursion caught on tape - Video | The Times of India

There are also too many "may" in the agreement. I don think it changes much. Does it make it a more mature border interaction (that was lacking previously). Yes.

One more (small) thing is what the PRC premier said:

Will also help India to set up industrial zones in the country as well as work on the India-Bangladesh-Myanmar-China corridor.

What does it mean by "help". Is it condescending. Is it affection. PRC will not gain anything ?? Whats the point for industrial zones. Reduce the trade balance. Get help. When have we needed this help suddenly from PRC. Japan is not "helping" but there is a win-win-win situation.

Early days...

Last edited:

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
World is also laughing at us. Ostrich syndrome has affected!!!
About which world you are talking in here ? Where Americans hold talks with Talibans or where the Dutch and Russian diplomats are beated or where the European passports misused by Israelis ?

China is intruding India everyday but we are quite & denying it.
These are border disputes which occurs even in Europe . Where the Russian fighter planes violates airspace of EU countries or where Georgians and Russians blame each other for terrorism .. So why cant it be between India and China or any other 2 neighbors ?

No matter what china does with us we happily sign border agreement.
Why you think so ? Governments comes and goes in India but the national security follows the same policy which is to protect the sovereignty of Indian nation .

Why should India come up with CBM, why not China doing anything to build our confidence.
India is already having ICBM technology and thats why Chinese are changing their approach towards Indian Nation .

Blackwater

PM says 'world notices when India and China shake hands'

don't know about world but pakis will notice for sure with burn ASS:taunt::taunt:

Vishwarupa

Country flag
About which world you are talking in here ? Where Americans hold talks with Talibans or where the Dutch and Russian diplomats are beated or where the European passports misused by Israelis ?

Americans tried everything before talking to talibans. they even had a war with them.
Russia had the guts to demand Dutch to apologies & threatened them of dire consequences if they dont apologies. Also they had guts to boycott the court hearing.

I am talking about the world where India is looked upon as their friend. Like Vietnam, Philippines, Afghanistan & many other 3rd world countries. India should not act pussy. But china is repeatedly interfering into India's affairs be it stapled visa, intrusions, helping pakistan & waging proxy war etc. I am fine MMS meeting them but china should also show some confidence building measures to build confidence.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
As long as both are shaking their own hands i am happy. Testing A3 now for 4900 km would have been a good idea .After that Chinis would have started shaking.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
World notices because they anticipate a back-stab from China against India.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Americans tried everything before talking to talibans. they even had a war with them.
The same happened even between India and China ? one full scale war , then series of proxy war against India by Chinese in the shape of arming North east separatists or funding Maoists etc .

Russia had the guts to demand Dutch to apologies & threatened them of dire consequences if they dont apologies. Also they had guts to boycott the court hearing.
Demanding apologies is a common thing between countries and its having a long history .

Dutch apology over envoy's detention not enough: Russia | Business Standard

I am talking about the world where India is looked upon as their friend. Like Vietnam, Philippines, Afghanistan & many other 3rd world countries.India should not act pussy.
These are international issues in which have to be very careful and here its not about being pussy or brave . if any war would start then it would kill millions .

But china is repeatedly interfering into India's affairs be it stapled visa, intrusions, helping pakistan & waging proxy war etc. I am fine MMS meeting them but china should also show some confidence building measures to build confidence.
I dont deny that Chinese are making enough internal troubles for India but right now it seems Chinese are changing the policy towards India and when its about peace and improvement of relations then Indians always give chance for the peace be it Chinese, Pakistanis , Americans and Russians .

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
So you are suggesting that India should not engage with Chinese ?
India must be on alert when dealing with Chinese, that is all I wanted to say.

hit&run

Mod
Prime Minister has signed away chances of any unilateral creation of superiority along Chinese border.

What was the hurry to this old Prime Minster. Why this border pact when InA and GoI refused it first. This man alone has made India a laughing stock.

All members including me who dream of improved capabilities of InA along LAC should take a hike. @pmaitra; @Kunal Biswas; @Ray; @Bhadra; and all other good members who were participating in those threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

hit&run

Mod
India rejects China's demand for notification of patrol time

This is what we said in May 2013, now we have compromised every thing ?

What was opposition and media doing when this man set an agenda of signing this border agreement ?

I just read a day before his visit that border pact with china is on his agenda. I was fully aware of Chinese proposals of such pact which we had refused couple of months back.

Last edited:

prohumanity

Country flag
Of Course..the World notices..when the possibility of 2.5 billion Human beings living in peace and harmony becomes real ...It's a hurdle for some existing major powers whose hegemony depends on 'divide and conquer'.
If these two giants refuse to be enemies and develop mutual respect.....those "powers" will be disappointed and can not play their old ,dirty game of pitting nation against nation.
Just imagine the dangers of enmity between these two giant nations...can you even imagine the devastation it can bring to the World?
Enemies of peace are taking notice...for sure...as they are afraid they may not be able to "divide and conquer" in the future and that might destroy their hegemony and control on the World. Let peace and harmony prevail between these two great ,ancient civilizations.
World will be a much better place. Lets not the vested interests sabotage this budding, new peaceful and friendly relationship.
Our real enemy is terrorism and the countries who use terrorists to hurt other nations. Paki is pissing in their pants as they can't play divisive game now. Wise-men of China, India and Russia understand their evil intentions. Support love and harmony between India and China...don't let selfish interests succced and divide humanity.

Reactions: I-G

Global Defence

New threads

Articles