Please don't kill my goat, or camel

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Please don't kill my goat, or camel (II)

Please don't kill my goat

But if there is anything that I am, it is persistent. So without further ado, here is a list of even more gripes I have with bakra Eid and the way it is conducted.

1. Many animals that are slaughtered on Eid tend to be murdered by amateur butchers that crop up all over Pakistan hoping to make a quick buck by running a knife any which way through the millions of animals that are lined up to be put down.

2. What's worse – many children (some as young as 10 to 12-years-old) are encouraged to hold the knife during the actual moment of throat-slitting. You know that moment right? The moment when there is maximum pain and suffering for the animal. Yeah, great idea having a fumbling child or adolescent's hand holding a knife being pressed down on a terrified living creature by an amateur butcher. Very mard-e-momin or what-have-you, and yes I say mard, because I don't recall 'ever' seeing a woman partaking in this slaughter.

3. Blood is everywhere. It is congealed at my doorstep. It is in my lawn. It is sprayed across the newly whitewashed walls of my neighbourhood. It is pouring onto the streets and no one, I repeat, no one seems to have any civic sense or an iota of responsibility regarding the clean-up. I understand that we are a filthy nation with no regard for each other, but it's a religious festival – shouldn't this be the one (sorry, three) days where we at least pretend to care?

4. In an agriculture-based, poverty-stricken dump of a country like ours, one would think that meat eating would be considered a distant second to a healthy, vegetable or grain-based diet, but no!

"To hell with our Hindu roots"

I have literally heard that yelled out at a family gathering, meat is the pinnacle of the Pakistani diet; the fundamental food stuff everyone must aspire to, regardless of whether they can afford it or not, and whether it is healthy or not. Meat is just cool. Nowhere is this exemplified more than on Eid, where meat, glorious meat is literally all anyone eats for a day, no wait, a week, no wait, a month after.

5. Beggars and scam artists generally get my goat (pun intended), but on bakra Eid the degree to which beggary and scams are encouraged is just outrageous. Whether it is the unscrupulous behaviour of our political parties and banned organisations (shame on you all) fighting it out over animal skins or donations, or the incessant ringing of the doorbell as beggars become the 'meat gathering mafia' complete with emotional blackmail and the occasional assault and forced entry, the meaning of Eid becomes simply this: gorge, feast, material gain, gorge again, puke, get a plastic bag, horde and gorge again.

6. Camel sacrifice. 'Nuff said.

GRAPHIC Images: http://www.demotix.com/sites/defaul...ice-during-eid-ul-adha---hyderabad_915358.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FRwgzLh7V...ring-eid-ul-adha%2C-karachi_512877%5B1%5D.jpg

If you haven't seen a camel being sacrificed in Pakistan, please do so and let me know at what point stabbing an animal 12-20 times in the neck as it runs around screaming in a circle while a crowd of people cheer is not a barbaric inhuman violence-celebrating spectacle, as compared to say, something spiritual that Islam condones.

I'm going to stop now. The horror of it all makes it really, really impossible to go on.

Eid Mubarak!

blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/14497/please-don%E2%80%99t-kill-my-goat-or-camel-ii/

KS

Bye bye DFI
"To hell with Hindu roots"

What ignorance !

Doe the author know that Hindus too indulge in ritual sacrifices as much as Muslims ? That most Hindus too each meat ?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Such a barbaric and ignorant society :tsk:

Coalmine

Country flag
WTF with author
hindus dont encourage children to hold knife, they dont kill big animals like cows and camels and that also in some dastardly manner. it is better to kill them in one jhatka than to see them suffer terribly.

gokussj9

Country flag
In dharmic traditions, I believe if one has the desire to eat non-vegetarian, one can do it by performing a proper
sacrifice once a month. One has to then whisper the mantra "mam sah khadati iti mamsah." (That is, "I am now eating the flesh of an animal who will some day in the future be eating my flesh) in the ear of the animal. That pretty much gives you the shiver and gradually you stop eating meat. :laugh:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Yeah it's really an barbaric act, btw Infect the goats with enthrax virus before Eid in Pakistan and wait!

gokussj9

Country flag
"To hell with Hindu roots"

What ignorance !

Doe the author know that Hindus too indulge in ritual sacrifices as much as Muslims ? That most Hindus too each meat ?
Well, we have about 40% vegetarians.

Why is India vegetarian friendly? - www.indianweekender.co.nz

And a good number of non vegetarians also take it occassionally.

I remember the sacrifice of goats in my village temple in Uttaranchal. @Bhadra ji can explain better I believe.
It was not very barbaric but many people protested even that and it was banned subsequently. :cool2:
Is animal sacrifice still present in south indian temples?

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Author was being sarcastic by echoing the thought of paki awaam.

WTF with author
hindus dont encourage children to hold knife, they dont kill big animals like cows and camels and that also in some dastardly manner. it is better to kill them in one jhatka than to see them suffer terribly.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
It happens regularly in Kalighat.

Kalighat Kali Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, we have about 40% vegetarians.

Why is India vegetarian friendly? - www.indianweekender.co.nz

And a good number of non vegetarians also take it occassionally.

I remember the sacrifice of goats in my village temple in Uttaranchal. @Bhadra ji can explain better I believe.
It was not very barbaric but many people protested even that and it was banned subsequently. :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:

gokussj9

Country flag
Harkath Tala
This is the spot adjacent to the Natmondir, southwards meant for Bali (sacrifice). There are two Sacrificial altars for animal sacrifices side by side. These are known as Hari- Kath. The bigger one is for buffalo sacrifices and the smaller one for goats and sheep. The animals are sacrificed with a single stroke of the scimitar and there is very little cruelty to animals when compared to the professional abattoirs.

This is interesting. I believe Maa Kaali being the in charge of tamo-guna accepts animal sacrifices. But I thought since
Radha-Krsna temple is there, there won't be animal killing. So is the animal flesh distributed among people or is it simply
offered to the goddess?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The meat is cooked only by the head purohit of the temple along with pulao, alurdum, bhaja, khichuri, labra, fish, payesh etc. (complete 6 course meal) and offered to the goddess, and then and distributed among disciples (those who have paid for puja)

Prasad with sacrificial meat is called Mahabhog, and without meat is called Bhog.

Harkath Tala
This is the spot adjacent to the Natmondir, southwards meant for Bali (sacrifice). There are two Sacrificial altars for animal sacrifices side by side. These are known as Hari- Kath. The bigger one is for buffalo sacrifices and the smaller one for goats and sheep. The animals are sacrificed with a single stroke of the scimitar and there is very little cruelty to animals when compared to the professional abattoirs.

This is interesting. I believe Maa Kaali being the in charge of tamo-guna accepts animal sacrifices. But I thought since
Radha-Krsna temple is there, there won't be animal killing. So is the animal flesh distributed among people or is it simply
offered to the goddess?

gokussj9

Country flag
Some comments from the blog

We are Muslims. Every Muslim is a soldier. We have to learn killing. It makes us strong. Otherwise what would be the difference between us and hindus.
What is wrong with the writer? Why must everyone poke at every little thing that bothers them and turn it into a huge affair ?
When you talk about the blood and pollution, I would agree. However, to actually take part in the qurbani has high reward (sawab) attached with it. Yes, the crude way you put it 'slitting the throat' – thats not how it's taken in religion. Yes I also wouldn't advise it for trembling hands cuz that increased the animal's pain. So that's something which the elders may wanna correct.
Amateur butchers? Perhaps they are seen more in number when they roam in individual streets, but where large amount of animals are congregated in an organized manner, that's definitely not the case. These amateur butchers are in minority ma'am.
As for camel sacrifice, its been made more of a show. However, people all over Pakistan view all sacrifices as spectacle, be it camel or cow. Yes the camel sacrifice attracts more attention, but please allow some things to be simple tradition and people having a little bit of fun and understand it, even if you can't like it.
Not everything must go as you please. Let the people have their private moments of joy.
I love this Eid, because I love animals. I love getting close to them, spending hours with them, and yes when they are sacrificed, it hits me more than it would more a normal animal that I'm not attached to.
the animal does not feel any sort of pain when it is being slaughtered!
The 'slaughtering' is to be done by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck causing the animal's death, but without cutting the spinal cord.
The swift cutting of vessels of the neck disconnects the flow of blood to the nerve of the brain responsible for pain. Thus the animal does not feel pain. While dying, the animal appears to struggle, writhe, shake and kick, not due to pain, but due to the contraction and relaxation of the muscles deficient in blood and due to the flow of blood out of the body.
Being capable of slaughtering an animal and skinning it is one of the most important skills a man should have. Yes we aren't hunter gatherers and live in a society where it isn't required but what if there's a war or other ordeal? wat are you going to do in a situation like that? Call the butcher?
As for the curelty argument. Sorry bro, but we are on top of the food chain. Thats how it is and thats how it will be. You are free to survive on vegetables but don't hold your breath expecting me to comply with your morality.
I am sick and tired of the whole let the professionals do it attitude that is making its rounds, contributing towards the pussification of men all around the world. To everyone, just man up.
P.S. I slaughtered an animal the first time when I was 15. Any post puberty kid has enough strength in him to do the job without messing it up. And you have to do it a first time to learn how to anyway.
next thing u liberals will ask us is to not sacrifice and then not celebrate eid at all"¦ valantines day ftw right "¦ now who is being extremist ..
What a shame on the muslims who have written such ENLIGHTENED comments on the holy day of Eid! Comments based on lack of knowledge, ignorance and lack of understanding about the issue are but only COMMENTS without any reality. Perhaps had you done some research about this beautiful day, you would have understood what it stands for.
The only reason amateur butchers flock around is because most of you Muslim Men are scared of what Allah has ordered you to do! Learn how to slaughter and do it yourself !
When Abrahim (PBUH) lay down his Son (Ismail) as a test from God to sacrifice the most beautiful and dear thing, Ismail (PBUH) consented and and told his father to carry out the orders by Allah"¦. and Allah Almighty accepted his intention for sacrifice and replaced Ismail (PBUH) with a Ram. Ring a bell??? and here they call the act "BARBARIC".
When your Prophet (PBUH) sacrificed animals on this day in the name of Allah, he wasn't ashamed, nor were the righteous men who followed were ashamed. Are any of you better men than Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or any of the Prophets who came before??? Barbaric, huh?
NO, but by Allah in truth YOU ALL want to be respected in the Eyes of the UN BELIEVERS and your friends who themselves are ignorant! BUT REMEMBER"¦. All RESPECTS and IZZAT is with Allah"¦. and He grants to whom He wills"¦. or have you preferred Lords other than Allah?
Read the translation of your Holy Book and Sunnah of your Prophet (PBUH). Be Men of Islam (Submission to the words of Allah)!
Sacrifice in the name of your Lord! Unless you WORSHIP opinions of the unbelievers or so called ENLIGHTENED Ones!
Animals are animals. Behave them like animals and do not think that sacrificing animals is merciless deed. Me dear, everyday in every country animals are slaughter to eat, this is Islamic festivals. Why do you cry for it?
That's why I used to sacrifice my Bakra all by myself because once I've had a terrible experience of an armature and believe me the whole process is very easy (in my opinion for only one Bakra) and full of excitement it just takes 2 to 3 hours to finish the whole job with one or two helpers (could be your son or brother). I've just finished one just 3 hours ago and after all the distribution of mutton in needy people and neighbors I've had a wonderful lunch and now I'm enjoying my Baqr-a-Eid. Eid Mubarak to all.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Jaya banned it after Kanchi sankaracharya told her...but who cares...yes, it still goes on in our village temples...

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Completely wrong and unscientific explanation.

the animal does not feel any sort of pain when it is being slaughtered!
The 'slaughtering' is to be done by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck causing the animal's death, but without cutting the spinal cord.
The swift cutting of vessels of the neck disconnects the flow of blood to the nerve of the brain responsible for pain. Thus the animal does not feel pain. While dying, the animal appears to struggle, writhe, shake and kick, not due to pain, but due to the contraction and relaxation of the muscles deficient in blood and due to the flow of blood out of the body.

warriorextreme

Country flag
I understand that muslims sacrifice goat to remember when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son....Why muslims don't do that? why kill the goat as symbolic gesture??

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Because as per the story, Abraham/Ibrahim did kill the goat (replaced by god in place of Ismail/Ishmael) as promised to god.

Bakhr-i-Eid/Eid al-Adha is an annual re-enactment of that story.

AFAIK...

I understand that muslims sacrifice goat to remember when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son....Why muslims don't do that? why kill the goat as symbolic gesture??

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
My Dear Sir,

why did shiva kill a goat and placed it on the head of slain dasksh Parajapati ?

Why did they kill an elephant calf to revive Ganesha ?

Animal activist or purist can raise similar question for any mythology...

By the way Hindus have been killing goats in place or in lieu for jumans etc for centuries..
Now the Hindus regularly sacrifice coconuts considering those to be inate..

I think Muslim practice of sacrificing goat is derived from Hinduism...

warriorextreme

Country flag
My Dear Sir,

why did shiva kill a goat and placed it on the head of slain dasksh Parajapati ?

Why did they kill an elephant calf to revive Ganesha ?

Animal activist or purist can raise similar question for any mythology...

By the way Hindus have been killing goats in place or in lieu for jumans etc for centuries..
Now the Hindus regularly sacrifice coconuts considering those to be inate..

I think Muslim practice of sacrificing goat is derived from Hinduism...
So it is all stupid...Killing animals for food I can understand even though I think it is unnecessary....But killing animal to please god/ gods ?
It is completely ungodly..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
So it is all stupid...Killing animals for food I can understand even though I think it is unnecessary....But killing animal to please god/ gods ?
It is completely ungodly..
What about killing Human for that purpose..

I read in the thread a fellow claimimg that he being a Muslim and a warrior, it is his duty to kill.

On the contrary under Hindu Dharma the duty of a warrior (Kshetria / Rajput) is to protect...

You must have read the story of that king who gave equal amount of his flesh as that of a bird who he had vowed to protect..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles