Playing for Pakistan is like 'mental torture'

Blackwater

Karachi, July 5
Pakistan cricket's endless parade of controversies and scandal has made playing for the national team akin to 'mental torture', according to captain Misbah-ul-Haq.

Since appointed Test captain in October after Salman Butt was banned for spot-fixing during last year's Test series against England, Misbah has led a team dogged by corruption allegations and political in-fighting.

Following five-year bans imposed by the ICC on Butt and two other players in February, Pakistan have been rocked by the departure of sacked one-day captain Shahid Afridi, who resigned in acrimony in May citing differences with the Pakistan Cricket Board.

"It is a mental torture to go through such things and it affects your performance," the 37-year-old batsman Misbah told Geo Super sports channel in an interview. "It is bad for Pakistan cricket and people taunt us at home and abroad."

Misbah, who took over the reins of the one-day side after Afridi's dismissal, said Pakistan's players needed a union to educate them and improve communications with their coaches and paymasters in the wake of a number of ugly contractual disputes.

"A players association can play a positive role in preparing and grooming players for international cricket and in understanding their contractual obligations," said Misbah, whose appointment as one-day captain sparked a row with Afridi.

"Once the contract is signed, it is no use for players to complain about it. These matters must not be discussed in the media, it is better for players to directly speak to the board." — Reuters:becky::becky::becky::rotflmao::rotflmao:

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Sport

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I lived in Asia for a few years as a young kid and developed love for cricket. It is heart breaking for me to see how a talent rich country like Pakistan has devolved into a debauched entity rife with criminality and degenerates. Hope they change their ways.

Blackwater

I lived in Asia for a few years as a young kid and developed love for cricket. It is heart breaking for me to see how a talent rich country like Pakistan has devolved into a debauched entity rife with criminality and degenerates. Hope they change their ways.
Mushkil hae mere dost, untill and unless Imran khan become PCB chief, aur wo ho nahi sakta. BTW where in asia to be precise, you lived as kid???

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles