PLA concludes 7-day India visit

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
New Delhi, November 10, 2011

Defence ties between India and China are back on track with a Chinese army delegation visiting the country and interacting with the military brass in New Delhi on promoting bilateral exchanges.

Led by Lt Gen Lang Youliang from Tibet Military Command of Chengdu Military Region, the eight-member People's Liberation Army (PLA) delegation visited various Indian army establishments and interacted with their counterparts during their stay between November 3-9, army officials said here.

"The visit by PLA delegation has put the defence exchanges between the two countries back on track. Both sides expressed the desire to further promote bilateral defence exchanges and observed that peace and tranquillity continues to be maintained between the border troops," they said.

The PLA delegation visited New Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai and visited the installations there.

After a freeze in ties following a row over Beijing's refusal to grant visa to Northern Army Commander Lt Gen B S Jaswal saying he was serving in a sensitive area - Jammu and Kashmir, India has decided to resume the annual defence dialogue with China in January next year to discuss several key issues between the two nations.

The visit of the Chinese Army delegation comes after India sent its military team under the leadership of Major General Gurmeet Singh of the Northern Command in June this year.

The Indian army delegation had visited Beijing, Shanghai and Urumqi.

Thaw in defence ties with China, PLA delegation visits India - Hindustan Times

PLA delegation concludes visit to India, IBN Live News

Thaw in defence ties with China, PLA delegation visits India�|�China Military Power Mashup

Last edited:

pmaitra

I am not sure I like this 'Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai' shenanigans, yet again.

Just when India was about to cosy up with the countries around South China Sea and just when those countries that were hitherto bullied by PRC getting some spine to stand up to PRC, we are again getting lured by these live branches from PRC. Just imagine how much damage USA's support to Pakistan has caused towards building trust between US and India right now, even 2 decades after Cold War ended. Do we want to give out the message to our partners around the South China Sea that we are unreliable and fickle?

kickok1975

I am not sure I like this 'Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai' shenanigans, yet again.

Just when India was about to cosy up with the countries around South China Sea and just when those countries that were hitherto bullied by PRC getting some spine to stand up to PRC, we are again getting lured by these live branches from PRC. Just imagine how much damage USA's support to Pakistan has caused towards building trust between US and India right now, even 2 decades after Cold War ended. Do we want to give out the message to our partners around the South China Sea that we are unreliable and fickle?
So, what do you suggest? Refuse PLA delegation to visit India or cancel Indian army delegation to China. Because we don't have trust, so it's imperative for us to build trust. I'm sure you don't want India and China goes to conflict because of misjudgment. Even US and former Soviet has president red line to avoid such thing. Why can't China and India.
India's current policy is not too flexible, but too rigid.

SPIEZ

Country flag
So, what do you suggest? Refuse PLA delegation to visit India or cancel Indian army delegation to China. Because we don't have trust, so it's imperative for us to build trust. I'm sure you don't want India and China goes to conflict because of misjudgment. Even US and former Soviet has president red line to avoid such thing. Why can't China and India.
Good point!

Actions speak louder than words. Two mountain regiments, a dedicated missile group, strong support to SOUTH CHINA SEA countries by exporting and helping in development of their own defense establishments should go a long way!

pmaitra

So, what do you suggest? Refuse PLA delegation to visit India or cancel Indian army delegation to China. Because we don't have trust, so it's imperative for us to build trust.
Build trust when PRC is occupying Indian territory? Now that is a non starter. Let trade flourish, but trust won't come so easily.

I'm sure you don't want India and China goes to conflict because of misjudgment. Even US and former Soviet has president red line to avoid such thing. Why can't China and India.
India's policy isn't as rigid as PRC's. At least India is not giving away nuke know-how to PRC's foes. I wish we reciprocated in kind.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles