Philippines Eyes Frigates From India

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India is getting request for warship/ OPV from different countries.

An OPV like the Saryu class built to coastguard specification would not cost more than 80-100 million US$.
It will be an ideal grant to a friendly nation and would give a great visibility to the strategic relationship.
A developmental project of the same value in that country may be beneficial but not carry the same strategic weight-age.

If we list the current request for naval platforms to Indian shipyards
we are building.
one OPV for Mauritius at GRSE
4 Patrol boats for Vietnam is Planned.
A west African country has planned to acquire 2( option for 2 more) OPV from Pipavav.
2 OPV for Sri Lanka is also under consideration.
OPV/Frigates for Myanmar is under negotiation.
And now Philippines wishes 2 Frigates from Indian Shipyard.

But, are Indian Shipyard prepared?
Are they prepared to handle the addl. orders outside the Indian Navy and Coastguard.

Among Defence Shipyards Hindustan shipyard is not doing well, so also ABG,Bharati and A&A Gujrat are faced with liquidity crisis and struggling with current orders.

The one's that are doing well, work too slow to compete globally.The target of 60 months for major Platforms and 36-42 months for non-capital platforms need to be reduced.

The overseas orders not only are important under Industrial pov but also for strategic pov. It will be a meaningful step towards the larger role which India want's to play in that region.

So, it's time GOI to step in and address the deficiencies in the sector and provide impetuous for capacity building in the sector.

But is it a tall ask for the present Govt.? Time would tell.
The Government of India should look at how Rosoboronexport of Russia works which is the commercial agency of Russia's import/export in defense.

jmj_overlord

this is real good opportunity for india in becoming a major exporter from a major importer.........govt should definitely go for this...........

Oblaks

Based on Phl defense discussions, karmorta seem to fit the requirements. Hmmm however a second bidding has taken place and the Indian shipbuilders appear to not have bid yet

no smoking

Country flag
So will China complain to India and then India will have to deny getting the complaint?:notsure:
Why?
Philipine can only afford "free" warships and India doesn't have that money!
Considering the speed of India ship building industry, it is more likely that philipine would already lost the islands she occupied long before india delivers the order.

Zero_Wing

Why?
Considering the speed of India ship building industry, it is more likely that philipine would already lost the islands she occupied long before india delivers the order.
Dude how stupid are how can one afford an item when its already free? and god sake read America did not give us those ship we bought it from them it for 90 million plus training and other cost so get your record straight! The Proposal is still it a proposal no said we are buying ships from India right now and do you know how long ship are built? Its three Years genus

apple

Dude how stupid are how can one afford an item when its already free? and god sake read America did not give us those ship we bought it from them it for 90 million plus training and other cost so get your record straight! The Proposal is still it a proposal no said we are buying ships from India right now and do you know how long ship are built? Its three Years genus
90 million (is that in US dollars?), with training including, for a frigate is pretty much giving it away for free.

Do you think the Philippines govt. is serious about upgrading the navy?

India wouldn't be a bad choice. Although, India has little/ no history of exporting defence items. Korea would have to be the favourite, if you've buying new I suppose. State of the art product, with an established history of delivering on time, budget and as ordered.

New from the US/ Australia would be too expensive, I'd imagine.

Zero_Wing

90 million (is that in US dollars?), with training including, for a frigate is pretty much giving it away for free.

India wouldn't be a bad choice. Although, India has little/ no history of exporting defence items. Korea would have to be the favourite, if you've buying new I suppose. State of the art product, with an established history of delivering on time, budget and as ordered.

We still on capabilities upgrade phase we still teaching our guys to use modern equipment do know how long it is to make a new ship? Three years and yes were very serious but if you have i don't know 100 billion laying around please give me a call

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I presume when it is national security, money is no concern.

Surely Philippines will upgrade and get equipment from wherever it is feasible.

Equipment from US and Australia is expensive since their labour costs are high.

While US may have higher technology, Australia would have nothing to boast about!

It is only China which goes gaga over anything American including fast food, jeans and weaponry.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why?
Lost the islands to who?

China?

Pinch yourself for you are day dreaming!

no smoking

Country flag
Lost the islands to who?

China?

Pinch yourself for you are day dreaming!
So, you are saying all these Philippines' protestings about Chinese "invasion" are just day dreamings?

Please tell that to them, they will love this.

ladder

Country flag

Zero_Wing

Well india has a lot to offer on terms of military hardware man we use to have the same level of industries as India in the 70s and early 80s but we lost all of it now due to politics first and financial mismanagement and deal backs we can learn from India exchanges on technologies along with other allies the government has finally got there act together and rebuilding what we lost personally i would like to see on those Indian made ship if ever Brahmos missiles i hope we get all of the variants

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles