Philippine clashes rage despite truce effort

amoy

Philippine clashes rage despite truce effort - Asia-Pacific - Al Jazeera English

Mindanao Island where Moro Islamists are fighting for independence
Philippine Vice President Jejomar Binay has headed to the southern city of Zamboanga in a bid to broker a truce with Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters holding scores of civilian hostages while locked in a deadly stand-off with government forces.

A ceasefire plan was tabled by Binay to rebel leader Nur Misuari and Defence Secretary Voltaire Gazmin late on Friday after five days of fighting that have left 52 people dead and 70 wounded in the port of Zamboanga.

However, Gazmin "clarified that a ceasefire has never been implemented", A government spokeswoman said in a statement she read on government radio.

"Therefore (military and police) operations continued throughout the night and will continue as necessary," she added.

[video]http://aje.me/15ZfSJx[/video]

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Philippines is more accommodating than China.

If the copy catted China, as they do in Tibet and Xinjiang, the issue would be dead!

Zero_Wing

This people are just like the chinese talking but doing something else

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
This is global Jihad, even China faces the same in Xinjiang and they have done the best job to quell Islamists and to change the ethnic demography of the region!

Zero_Wing

Well the good news is we already got almost 7 towns the MNLF got they only hold about 30% too bad for the civilians though and Zamboanga economy its one of the country's top tuna producing city and economic center next to davao city its already coasting the city billions of economic loses fight of freedom my foot this just small faction the whole MNLF along with MILF are part of tri party talks to put an end to the conflict

MNLF in Maguindanao says won't join Misuari's cause

By Ferdinandh B. Cabrera on September 16 2013 3:57 pm

BAGO-INGED, Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao (MindaNews/16 September) — The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) faction in Maguindanao led by Muslimin Sema of the so-called Council of 15 has allayed fears its members might stage "sympathy attacks" in support to the MNLF fighters engaged in an ongoing standoff with government forces in Zamboanga City.

The armed MNLF members who entered Zamboanga City evening of Sept. 8 are said to be loyal to founding chair Nur Misuari.

Saidee Taup, commander of Camp Ibrahim Sema located in this barangay said they would rather cultivate their land instead of joining the battle in the southern port city.

But Taup clarified that while they would not resort to violence, they have not set aside their demand to continue with the tripartite review of the 1996 Final Peace Agreement between the Philippine Government and the MNLF.

He said they will do it peacefully as long as the government and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation are there to listen.

On Saturday, Maguindanao Governor Esmael Mangudadatu met with his town mayors and officials of the 6th Infantry Division over apprehensions the MNLF might launch attacks in the province.

Mangudadatu said they presumed the conflict would spill over in the province that's why he personally called local MNLF commanders and appealed to them.

He said the response has been good so far, and even those in the coastal towns of Sultan Kudarat province assured him they would not commit hostile acts.

The town mayors said after the meeting that they will approach local residents who are MNLF members.

Mangudadatu said he even reached out to some of the MNLF integrees in the armed forces and the Civilian Armed Force Geographical Unit.

He said he asked one Army integree pointblank what side he would take in case the crisis worsens, and the latter vowed to fight under the Philippine flag.

6th ID commander Maj. General Romeo Gapuz described the developments reported by the mayors as "achieved victory".

He said the local officials have tried to prevent conflicts similar to the Zamboanga standoff, "and it seems we won in that battle", Gapuz said.

In North Upi and South Upi towns in Maguindanao, MNLF factions who were engaged in clan feuds were also convinced by Mayors Ramon Piang and Bedz Campong to remain calm and uphold non-violence.

In his Facebook account, Lt. Col. Donald Gumiran, commander of the 7th Infantry Battalion based in Pikit, North Cotabato said the MNLF members in the area gave assurance that they will not do hostile acts.

MNLF members in Camp Jabal Nur gave the same assurance, according to Lt. Col. Cornelio Arboleda, commander of the 51st Infantry Battalion based in Pualas, Lanao del Sur. (Ferdinandh Cabrera/MindaNews)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The religion of Peace in action. Wow... how peaceful.

Zero_Wing

Nope its just split in to groups due to disagreements the largest the Muslimin Sema-led MNLF bloc in Maguindanao is currently supporting the old peace deal and the new one with the MILF and other is the Islamic command council which is in the same position and majority of them service in the local governments in Muslim Mindanao clearly Misuar is alone in this action.

no smoking

Country flag
Philippines is more accommodating than China.

If the copy catted China, as they do in Tibet and Xinjiang, the issue would be dead!
That is funny! Last time you are still discussing how those Tibetans/Uygh people's brave fighting, now you call them dead?

Looks, you are perfect match of your politicians: changing your judgement/stance whenever you need!

Zero_Wing

That is funny! Last time you are still discussing how those Tibetans/Uygh people's brave fighting, now you call them dead?

Looks, you are perfect match of your politicians: changing your judgement/stance whenever you need!
And yet china has a lot of skeletons in its closest screw you

ice berg

Give me one country without skeletons in its closet, and I will migrate there right away. :namaste:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Give me one country without skeletons in its closet, and I will migrate there right away. :namaste:
You don't have to migrate.

After all, China is the Middle Kingdom!

After all, China is the Middle Kingdom believing that the Chinese empire occupies the middle of the earth, surrounded by barbarians.

How can barbarians be treated as human?

Skeletons are not in their constitutional makeup!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I concede that English is not your first language.

The operative word in my post was 'issue' and not 'persons' - the issue would be dead.

Please show some patience. Read and then take off like Saddam's Unguided Missile!

kseeker

Retired

no smoking ↑
The operative word in my post was 'issue' and not 'persons' - the issue would be dead.

Please show some patience. Read and then take off like Saddam's Unguided Missile!
:pound::pound::pound::pound: This is awesome !!!:namaste:

Zero_Wing

really so killing millions of your own is technicality? oh please if this your comeback to me imperialist chekwa anyway how would you function in non brainwash society anyway? and can you leave and never comeback to your workers paradise?

Zero_Wing

I concede that English is not your first language.

wow so sending missiles to people is peaceful on the chinamen rule book huh?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles