Pentagon: The Chinese stole our newest weapons

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Pentagon: The Chinese stole our newest weapons

The designs for more than two dozen major weapons systems used by the United States military have fallen into the hands of the Chinese, US Department of Defense officials say.

Blueprints for the Pentagon's most advanced weaponry, including the Black Hawk helicopter and the brand new Littoral Combat Ship used by the Navy, have all been compromised, the Defense Science Board claims in a new confidential report.

The Washington Post acknowledged late Monday that they have seen a copy of the report and confirmed that the Chinese now have the know-how to emulate some of the Pentagon's most sophisticated programs.

"This is billions of dollars of combat advantage for China," a senior military official not authorized to speak on the record told Post reporters. "They've just saved themselves 25 years of research and development."

"It's nuts," the source said of the report.

The Defense Science Board, a civilian advisory committee within the Pentagon, fell short of accusing the Chinese of stealing the designs. However, the Post's report comes on the heels of formal condemnation courtesy of the DoD issued only earlier this month.

"In 2012, numerous computer systems around the world, including those owned by the US government, continued to be targeted for intrusions, some of which appear to be attributable directly to the Chinese government and military," the Defense Department alleged in a previous report.

Ellen Nakashima, the Post reporter who detailed the DSB analysis this week, wrote that the computer systems at the Pentagon may not have necessarily been breached. Instead, rather, she suggested that the defense contractors who built these weapons programs have likely been subjected to a security breach. US officials speaking on condition of anonymity, she reported, said that a closed door meeting last year ended with evidence being presented of major defense contractors suffering from intrusions. When reached for comment, the largest defense contractors — Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman — all refused to weigh in.

Chinese hackers have previously been accused of waging cyberattacks on a number of US entities, including billion-dollar corporations and governmental departments. In 2007 it was reported that China accumulated the blueprints for the Pentagon's F-35 fighter jets, the most expensive weapons program ever created, but the latest news from the DSB decries that much more has been compromised.

According to the Post, the plans for the advanced Patriot missile system, an Army anti-ballistic program and a number of aircraft have all ended up in the hands of the Chinese. The result could mean the People's Republic is working towards recreating the hallmarks of America's military might for their own offensive purposes, while also putting China in a position where even the most advanced weaponry in the world won't be able to withstand complex defensive capabilities once those projects are reverse engineered.

"If they got into the combat systems, it enables them to understand it to be able to jam it or otherwise disable it," Winslow T. Wheeler, director of the Straus Military Reform Project at the Project on Government Oversight, told the Post. "If they've got into the basic algorithms for the missile and how they behave, somebody better get out a clean piece of paper and start to design all over again."

Mandiant, a US security firm located outside of Washington, reported earlier this year that the China has enlisted an elite squadron of cyber warrior to attack American computer systems and conduct espionage on behalf of the People's Liberation Army. When the report was released in February, Mandiant said the PLA's elusive Unit 61398 has successfully compromised the networks of more than 141 companies across 20 major industries, including Coca-Cola and a Canadian utility company. Those hacks reportedly subsided after Mandiant went public with their claims, but earlier this month the firm said those attacks have since been renewed.

"They dialed it back for a little while, though other groups that also wear uniforms didn't even bother to do that," CEO Kevin Mandia told the New York Times recently. "I think you have to view this as the new normal."

On their part, China has adamantly denied all claims that they've waged attacks on US networks. Following Mandiant's initial report, a spokesperson for China's foreign ministry said the claims were "irresponsible and unprofessional."

"Hacking attacks are transnational and anonymous," Hong Lei said. "Determining their origins are extremely difficult. We don't know how the evidence in this so-called report can be tenable."

Pentagon: The Chinese stole our newest weapons — RT USA

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Ha ha ha....... this is foolish........ I don't think that the pentagon will ever store the blue prints in a system which can be accessed through inter-network or intra-network....

Country flag
Cybertheft should have the same policy as attacks on US GPS satellites it should be viewed as an
Act of war.If this article was true china would not exist today.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ha ha ha....... this is foolish........ I don't think that the pentagon will ever store the blue prints in a system which can be accessed through inter-network or intra-network....
Do not doubt stupidity of americans. It were the americans whose whole government was hijacked from 1942 to time Eisenhower came by russsian spies who also stole nukes from US.

The same americans were spending billions to invent a pen to write in space when USSR used a single rupee to that effect by using pencil which has no effect of gravitation.

Country flag
USA is not stupid to invest trillions of dollars in weapons systems to have them stolen
By the Chinese government. If this were true there would be no more china. I can tell
You one thing nobody puts all their weapons systems secrets in one place most of the secrets are
In different corporations.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
USA is not stupid to invest trillions of dollars in weapons systems to have them stolen
By the Chinese government. If this were true there would be no more china. I can tell
You one thing nobody puts all their weapons systems secrets in one place most of the secrets are
In different corporations.
This is what I meant. If at all there was any data stolen as claimed by the news channels, then pentagon would have launched a strike on china and this is known........

Country flag
Chinese have reportedly stolen f35 secrets; USA is working on sixth generation warplanes
And china cannot even make a third generation planes if secrets were stolen they would have
Been able to build crystal blade engines etc...total. Bs

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Getting a mere manual or a blueprint is not enough to master the technology and manufacture the product immediately...........

boris

Country flag
Chinese have reportedly stolen f35 secrets; USA is working on sixth generation warplanes
And china cannot even make a third generation planes if secrets were stolen they would have
Been able to build crystal blade engines etc...total. Bs
As a CS grad I can pretty much say that until the US has the NSA then cyber-attacks are the least of their worries. I mean NSA is the same org. that built masterpieces like Stuxnet,Flame and Duqu, I don't expect possibly the best cryptography R&D organization in the world letting such a thing happen.

TrueSpirit

This is what I meant. If at all there was any data stolen as claimed by the news channels, then pentagon would have launched a strike on china and this is known........
Well, I tend to diasgree a bit. Stated policy matters apart, present day USA simply wouldn't indulge in any such fool-hardly adventure, especially when the foe in China. They are already quagmired in multiple geographies & are too stretched logistically to put any more boots on distant shores, than already present.
Industrial-espionage is a well-practiced cat-&-mouse game among all interested countries. This news can sound sensational to some but it is just a glorified form of the same phenomena. Everyone is a perpetrator a well as victim in this game at the same time.

But having said that, Chinese & Russians are veterans of this game (& US, of course), thus thee nations are more prone to be at the aggressor's/initiator's end, rather than to be at the receiving end. Btw, stealing designs/blueprints means a really big deal (do I need to explain that) & NRO/NSA aren't naive to let that happen under their nose.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
we too should use our software power to get lot of info.
We always see that something is being done to India by our enemies, but we never analyze what we are doing to them.........

Guess what, by the time we talk about using our software power, our software engineers are already in the work.........

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
As a CS grad I can pretty much say that until the US has the NSA then cyber-attacks are the least of their worries. I mean NSA is the same org. that built masterpieces like Stuxnet,Flame and Duqu, I don't expect possibly the best cryptography R&D organization in the world letting such a thing happen.
may be but they took lot of time to find OBL.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
True, I won't comment much on that but only them and probably the British and Israelis were capable of pulling it off.
well i too have seen how they won WWII and later on heavily invested in signal interception and code breaking. Plus miles of super computers with NSA.

Damian

I suspect several possible scenarios.

First thing to understand is that Americans are not idiots.

Second is that these news might be just attempt to force Congress to increase budget of some organizations, for example NSA.

Third is that original plans are probably not kept on computers connected to internet, such computers are most likely connected to local network of design bureau so engineers can share informations between to increase their work efficency, but not to internet.

And there is forth possibility, a made up plans with flaws can be released to slow down progress of potential enemy or competitor, also I can imagine such digital copies of plans, infected with programs like stuxnet or other types of spyware.

It is not a problem to for example made up false system code for avionics of F-35, place it on well protected against cyberattacks computer connected to internet, and just wait when big fish will take a bite. Such false code can have inside hidden flaws and other surprises.

Such possibilities are actually good example to show, how stupid is to steal someones work and try to copy it.

It is much better idea to work on your own, even if it takes years before results, even if you will never keep up to the leaders, this is always your own work, and you learn more this way, than just stealing someones work.

This is perhaps why for example India, is perceived as a partner, even if it is difficult partner, and why China is perceived as a threat and just simple thief, not as a reliable partner, especially by it's neighbours.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles