Pentagon Confirms Russia's Thermonuclear Submarine Bomb Is Real

Kshatriya87

Country flag
maybe detonating it underwater would reduce the destructive power??

Disturbing thing about this bomb:

1)The size of the detonation would trigger a tsunami which would race inland .
what if the tsunami went the other way and hit not involved nations??

2) Russians may have weaponized cobalt for use in nuclear weapons???
(US also may have??) Using Cobalt would essentially pollute a wide area with radiation

No "involved nations" here. The way CIA puts it, only the american coastal cities and submarine bases will be targets.

pmaitra

Tsar bomba with a yield of 57MT was 8m by 2.1m. Depending on the size of the sub drone, you can fit a 100MT bomb.

The point is, they say that the drone is nuclear powered. This worries me as the drone would have to be quite big to fit the bomb as well as the reactor.
It does not have to be powered by a nuclear reactor, but it could be nuclear powered if it used radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
A : Maybe. I don't know the physics behind it.

B: You know, I think it would be a lot more efficient to directly hit the target with a nuke (at an altitude above ground, to maximize impact) than to use a tsunami to destroy a target (i.e. under-water detonation.)
Incoming missiles can be detected, some can be shot down. This gives enough time for americans to retaliate and complete MAD objective. The purpose of these subs is to hit american sub bases and destroy coastal cities before they have time to retaliate. These drones can also be used in case of an american first strike.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The Tsar bomb you are talking about could have been made up to 100MT. Russians deliberately kept it at 50MT only fearing the consequences of the blast. If they had the tech. then to make 100MT, why not now?
True but since missile accuracy has increased like a dozen times compared to tsar bomba times, even overkill is a mild term for 100megs.

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
The whole idea behind this is to evade any missile shield US puts up, instead of Air Russia is taking water route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well US missile shield is not fully ready yet though they do have good infrastructure to take care of short range interception as well long range interception the only thing they are lagging behind is the capability of mid course interception but they are working on that too.

Well water route takes more time, more powerful sensor has to be deployed but it won't be as bad as missile attack. Missile attack will be more worriesome as the time to react will much less.
by 2020.

I think it would have been more lethal if nobody knew about this 'Status-6, it would have been more successful.

Last edited:

Flame Thrower

It does not have to be powered by a nuclear reactor, but it could be nuclear powered if it used radioisotope thermoelectric generator.
No @pmaitra It can't be thermoelectric generator...

Thermoelectric generator is nothing but a Nuclear Battery, it will use radiation from isotopes to generate electricity... In simple words it can generate less electricity for very long periods of time with very little efficiency(1/10 of what nuclear reactors would have generated with same radio active material)......

To travel from Russia to America with 52knots over 3k feet dept, that needs a huge amount of power, and I feel that only Nuclear Reactor might be providing such power...

Last edited:
Country flag
No "involved nations" here. The way CIA puts it, only the american coastal cities and submarine bases will be targets.
Any tsunami triggered would not be under control it could go in any direction

Kshatriya87

Country flag
True but since missile accuracy has increased like a dozen times compared to tsar bomba times, even overkill is a mild term for 100megs.
Yes but those missiles can be shot down. These drones are made to deliver nukes without being detected or stopped. And since these nukes cannot be blown up a few hundred metres above ground to get maximum damage (they have to be detonated underwater), these nukes have to have more yield than a normal nuke being detonated overhead.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Any tsunami triggered would not be under control it could go in any direction

Yes it cannot be controlled but will get dampened after a few hundred metres. If they hit on american east coast or west coast, only damage will be to USA as either side has nothing but the atlantic and pacific.

If they hit near the north, canada is at risk. At south, central american countries.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Yes but those missiles can be shot down. These drones are made to deliver nukes without being detected or stopped. And since these nukes cannot be blown up a few hundred metres above ground to get maximum damage (they have to be detonated underwater), these nukes have to have more yield than a normal nuke being detonated overhead.
:hmm:

New concept for me, this one.

Anyway, I don't think they can go entirely undetected.
And the US can do two things.
One, intensify surveillance, deploy counter drones and take out the nuke-carrying drones well before the reach the coast. Note that coastal surveillance systems tend to be more powerful.
Second, the US can deploy its own nuke-carrying drones.

pmaitra

:hmm:

New concept for me, this one.

Anyway, I don't think they can go entirely undetected.
And the US can do two things.
One, intensify surveillance, deploy counter drones and take out the nuke-carrying drones well before the reach the coast. Note that coastal surveillance systems tend to be more powerful.
Second, the US can deploy its own nuke-carrying drones.
Detection is going to be hard if these drones, already miniaturized, swim under the thermocline. :)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Detection is going to be hard if these drones, already miniaturized, swim under the thermocline. :)
It is not just temperature changes that affect detection, even the waves on the surface make detection difficult.
So detection in water is more difficult than in "air"
But people usually find ways to work around these in one way or other, I guess.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
There are underwater mines too. But I don't know if the US uses them anymore and how effective they are.

salute

so this torpedo is to hit something like san andreas fault lines .

charlie

Country flag
It is not just temperature changes that affect detection, even the waves on the surface make detection difficult.
So detection in water is more difficult than in "air"
But people usually find ways to work around these in one way or other, I guess.
I think Detection in Air is much more difficult then at sea, and the development cycle also varies by a big margin.

I think those days are over where navies around the world used active sonar with frequency more then 1000hertz. Now the era of low frequency sonar came with better algorithms and increase in computing power. Check out the model 980 active low-frequency towed array sonar or the Atlas Elecktronik Active Towed Array Sonar that Indian Navy has their eyes on and the interesting thing about it is it also comes as plug and play for this ships that cannot accomodate ACTAS as Mobile Mission Module.

I heard a little about model 980 it's blue water capability is amazing as well as it work really well in littoral and shallow waters too.

I was taking to a Ex Lockheed Martin engineer who joined our company, he was from the navy side and he was telling me the difference between how easy it is to design, integrate, test and validate a under water system or sensor compared to Air.

For air there is just too many hurdles and clearance you have to get and work with multiple agency to get certify compared to underwater system.

Underwater sensors have come a long way now they are much more effective and reliable compared to their air counterparts.

US program related to anti missile system were lagging behind their mid course interception program has been delayed by almost 15 years now things that were suppose to come online in 2005 are just getting done now.

Flame Thrower

By current tech this is going to be very difficult, it is like detecting 80' era torpedo cruising with 100 MT nuclear war head going to explode anywhere between 0 to 500 miles of the USA coast....

I think there has already Black project tenders are in place to counter these deadly drones, the report is to create panic among the readers....

Yes Russia has announced about under water sea drone, but didn't said anything about using it as WMD....

Some insider has leaked the news about this weapon, now does anyone believe that info leak on strategic assets and that too from Russia....

I feel that this news is to exploit US defence budget by some defence manufacturers....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles