Paul Henry's rant on Shiela Dikshit

johnee

pmaitra, the ratio of positive or unbiased portrayals to negative or biased portrayals, IMHO, is heavily loaded towards the latter. If you disagree, then lets agree to disagree... :)

pmaitra

pmaitra, the ratio of positive or unbiased portrayals to negative or biased portrayals, IMHO, is heavily loaded towards the latter. If you disagree, then lets agree to disagree... :)
I don't disagree with that at all. I only disagreed with your previous statement. :)

johnee

I don't disagree with that at all. I only disagreed with your previous statement. :)
When I said always negative, I meant, virtually always negative. I did concede that there may be some positive portrayals... :)

Pmaitra, the point is the topic of the documentaries is always negative and hence the entire documentary is negative. There may be some positives within it, but overwhelmingly, the message is negative. There may be a few positive or neutral ones, but IMHO, most give out a biased and negative portrayal of India and its people. And I pressume that its not just India but any and every country other than their beloved ones.

pmaitra

When I said always negative, I meant, virtually always negative. I did concede that there may be some positive portrayals... :)
So let me share one personal experience with you:

There was this American kid, who is usually very friendly who tells me, "I saw a documentary that showed people drive like crazy in India" I responded by saying, "Well they show things for which they think they have an audience. Have you ever seen a documentary on the Indian Space Program and how we launch satellites for foreign countries?" He was astounded and said, "Really?"

That is how one should defend one's own country, but when two Indians are having a discussion, they should focus on the crazy traffic and reckless driving and not simply keep patting each other on their backs over how successful our Space Program is.

Regarding the two documentaries I mentioned, do take out some time and see them. They are very well made and speaks overwhelmingly positively about India. They focussed on the topic and did a good job, and did not waste time focusing on other things that are negative.

johnee

So let me share one personal experience with you:

There was this American kid, who is usually very friendly who tells me, "I saw a documentary that showed people drive like crazy in India" I responded by saying, "Well they show things for which they think they have an audience. Have you ever seen a documentary on the Indian Space Program and how we launch satellites for foreign countries?" He was astounded and said, "Really?"
Well done.

That is how one should defend one's own country, but when two Indians are having a discussion, they should focus on the crazy traffic and reckless driving and not simply keep patting each other on their backs over how successful our Space Program is.
Positive news give inspiration. So, nothing wrong with some self-patting. :)

Regarding the two documentaries I mentioned, do take out some time and see them. They are very well made and speaks overwhelmingly positively about India. They focussed on the topic and did a good job, and did not waste time focusing on other things that are negative.
I'll try. Thanx.

king98121

lol yes our buses are jam packed like crazy people actually hang out of it its fatal but sadly no one cares

but if he gets injured our media will cry foul saying our government does not care about transport system when it was clearly the man's fault

we should have a balanced media it should focus on both positives and negatives currently they are inclined hugely towards negativity i mean you dont feel good in morning when all you see is bad news aint it?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
we should ignore the racists and not give them attention because thats what they desire the most.

but in the same time we shouldn't ignore the negatives that are present in our country....although it is not as large/big as the western racists would have you believe but it still exists.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I always cringe when i hear other Indians saying they've been told to "go back to your country" by whites in australia, new zealand, usa, canada etc because the whites themselves aren't the original inhabitants of these countries.

I can still understand when europeans say it but its idiotic and hypocritical for whites to say it from these countries. When a white tells anyone whether it be chinese, indian, african from the above countries to go back home then they themselves should be told to f..k off back to europe.

sandeepdg

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
That NZ host is known to be obnoxious to a lot of people. Generally NZ people are decent and civilized unlike their Australian neighbours. They welcoming, open minded and understanding like Scandinavians. This man Henry is accused of having passed derogatory comments to English singers, Greenpeace senior activists, American businessmen and what not. So I don't think Dikshit remark was racist in a way but rather personal insult to Delhi CM. When she's all cool about it, I don't think we should concentrate on such small things. He's gained the ire of a lot of his fellow white people in the past. I guess GOI over-reacted. I saw the video of his remarking on the name, but its not as serious as GOI raised an issue.

If GOI paid that much attention to warning GOOGLE to show Arunachal and Kashmir as Indian, warning China not to trespass and showing displeasure over exclusion to Afghanistan meeting in Ankara, we would have got more serious matters and issues solved. Instead, we over-reacted on such stupid issue. :angry_10:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
lol yes our buses are jam packed like crazy people actually hang out of it its fatal but sadly no one cares

but if he gets injured our media will cry foul saying our government does not care about transport system when it was clearly the man's fault

we should have a balanced media it should focus on both positives and negatives currently they are inclined hugely towards negativity i mean you dont feel good in morning when all you see is bad news aint it?
Our media has become a glamour joke around the planet, sensationalizing and glamourizing every damn piece of news no matter how tragic it is. Indian media has gotten its freedom into its heads and about time government make some stern regulations on media glamourization and sensationalization. It is almost embarassing to open Times of India news paper in foreign countries or refer it as a source of some information to foreigners.

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Quality of meal by foreign media is not always palatable to our countrymen as always because of aforementioned reasons by Tarun, johnee and hit /run which is true to fullest extent.(excellent posts-folks) .Theres no better way than to dissect this discussion to unravel the very causes of negative propaganda of Indianism in foreign shores.

Unfortunately Onus is upon us only to clean our household first before we can cup our hands in neighbour's mouth to stop the way that being portrayed in West or AU or NZ. Sometimes Freedom of expression doesn't conjugate very well with democracyand it can be a boon and a boomerang as it is been perceived for decades by our own media .If slum dog millionaire –movie portrayed a bleak picture of our society,the very place was used to be the site of vote bank for penance and liberation of all political forefathers(irrespective of all national parties) for decades during the elections with less being rendered to these poor people. And you see the results of this movie.-.its a Global hit ..by smarty men in Black/white suits .and who suffered?

So much So is our country suffered by colonialism and economic deprivation for ages it will take sometime as the burgeoning economy and a Neolithic society can do the undoing .

king98121

as in these points are discussed they will obiviously take a lot of time to be implemented but also all in all this nri violence is not right although nz isn't violent as aus is against indians i am plenty sure that they pass many unwanted snide comments against us for them to respect us for actually contributing to their country all in all even though there poverty the happiness level has increased much more than before

so much so that people actually feel embarassed to not own a 21inch tv!

but i do not understand our cleanliness issue our houses are ridiculously clean compared to our streets atleast here in thane i dont see shit everywhere but wherever there is a talav(pond) or garbage bin that area gets very unclean so much that you dont feel like going near it and walk past it

and foreigners take a very deep interest in this sadly no better example than cwg i beleive people in delhi have sacrificed a lot for the games for it to succeed and establish it as a clean and successful event but media came at a time of pre construction obviously it is dirty during this time and threw itself at it

this according to me is very immature

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The issue is not India and its environment.

It is just that they cannot stomach the idea that an erstwhile colony, stripped of all their riches by the imperialists and left destitute, can rise like a phoenix from the ashes they had reduced us to and then do things better than them!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What Henry said was racist and he deserves to be fired. Don't understand what place it is for GoI to demand an apology from the government of NZ. He is a Kiwi on a Kiwi media channel. Attack the employers, not the government. It isn't like he wasn't fired. Not much more you can do about it.

Quickgun Murugan

What Henry said was racist and he deserves to be fired. Don't understand what place it is for GoI to demand an apology from the government of NZ. He is a Kiwi on a Kiwi media channel. Attack the employers, not the government. It isn't like he wasn't fired. Not much more you can do about it.
True! That is because, Indian media has a reputation of lifting the most unimportant, insignificant person in the world and making him a celebrity. That's why people like rakhi sawant, veena mallik, zaid hamid etc become celebrities. Indian Govt had to react because media had already made this a burning issue. Indian foreign ministry had no business what so ever demanding apology from NZ govt. Absolutely ridiculous this drama.

dove

Logically you are right, but when people see their govt having to apologize it sends a message about the respective importance of the two countries. This is a game China plays well. They get massively hurt at every small thing and extract apologies. Eventually the image is created of a country and people who you should be careful about.

It can be helpful to have such an image sometimes.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Logically you are right, but when people see their govt having to apologize it sends a message about the respective importance of the two countries. This is a game China plays well. They get massively hurt at every small thing and extract apologies. Eventually the image is created of a country and people who you should be careful about.

It can be helpful to have such an image sometimes.
I have noticed a lot of this going around lately from India, China and even Uganda. Ugandan CWG officials are still waiting for an official apology even after several government officials have already done so. It is so tiring for everyone to play victim when they need to stop focusing on the mundane and deal with the real problems.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles