PAS 2011: India nears attack helicopter decision (AH-64D or the Mi-28NE)

JAISWAL

The Indian Air Force is close to choosing between the AH-64D and the Mi-28NE, with a decision anticipated in the next two months, according to Apache manufacturer Boeing.
Speaking at the Paris Air Show, Chris Chadwick, president of Boeing Military Aircraft, confirmed that both the flying tests and written evaluations of both aircraft had been submitted and a winner was likely to emerge in the third quarter of 2011.

If this timeframe is met, deliveries would start from 2014, with the first operational units being fielded in 2015.
Chadwick said a winner was also expected to emerge for the Indian Air Force's tender for 15 heavy lift helicopters by the end of the year, in a competition which pitches Boeing's CH-47F against the Mil Mi-26T2.
‘For the attack helicopter, the trials have completed, they completed the written evaluations and we expect it will be announced in within the next few months. On the heavy helicopter, that's about six months out - they have finished the flight evaluations and now they have to go through the process of the written evaluations and make a decision later this fall,' he said.
Chadwick was bullish about the future of the Chinook, noting that a $130 million capital investment in its Philadelphia production line, raising production to six per month, was a reflection of the reality that ‘if they can build more, they can sell more'.
Boeing is currently working with the US Army on its second multi-year contract for 155 CH-47F aircraft, with contract award expected in January 2013.
Chadwick was also upbeat about Bell's decision to fully hand the reins of the BA609 civil tiltrotor over to AgustaWestland, noting that its partner on the Bell-Boeing V-22 tiltrotor would be be able to devote greater focous to that programme.
‘Across rotorcraft there really is a clear dividing line between the commercial applications and military applications. Obviously we are not in the commercial business - it is a different business model. On the defence side, from Boeing's perspective I think this is great because now Bell will be focused 100% on the defence side of the tiltrotor business,' he argued.
He said that tiltrotor technology was expected to underpin Boeing's approach to the US Department of Defense's Joint Multirole (JMR) programme.
‘If you look at rotorcraft there are two differentiators - speed and reliability. And our whole focus and internal investment, and when we partner with others, has been focused on how do you take that and move it to the left, because it is a disruptive technology.
‘At this point in time all our investment has been internal and proprietary. Do I have Sikorsky (X2) like product I am going to roll out next week, no, but we have significantly invested in that area.'

PAS 2011: India nears attack helicopter decision | Shephard Group

Blackwater

i think we should go for both. we cant entirely depend on amreeeka. If we go for apache, who knows after 20 yrs, if our relation with ameerica is not good, they might apply ban on spares.

Blackwater

what about kamaov 52 tiger shark?????.was that not included in bid???

JAISWAL

at initial level they are but they withdrawn their bid after some time. Dont know exact reason for this but ,
i think tiger is classified as light or medium attack heli. category.

pack leader

Professional
you should definitely buy Russian in this case
the mi 28 is a great machine
it carry's 50% more ammo it has a better engine and its fully armored
for better ammo and avionics use Israeli contribution to LCH

ganesh177

Country flag
Unique Russian helicopter can hit target from eight kilometers
lol there was some pope sprinking water on helicopter. Never saw something like that.

How wud that look if in india some sadhu baba sprinkle gaumutra on brand new baught air crafts (say mrca).

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Now I'd like to see our LCH in NOTAR config with coaxial rotors like this one. Will be great as a naval version.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We are purchasing Only 23 Gunships for IAF, Army will rely on LCH..

MI-26T suits our requirements, As they proved their worth in Highest frontiers in Ladakh..

MI-28NE is more or less like AH-64D, Russian offers the best but delivery is slow compare to Americans..

Regarding Gunship AH-64D is good and Transport is MI-26T2..

JBH22

Russian Helicopters are the best we just need to get something done for spare parts availability.
The Mi-28 and Ka-52 incorporate lesson of the COIN mission in the mountainous region of Afghanistan and Chechnya this suits our requirements best AH-64 is too high tech for us imho.

debasree

Country flag
apache is a proven machine,but mi-28 not used in any majore conflict but 22 is very small number we nead at least 50-60 of that machine ,lah is a different catagory,it is not heavily armoured and its machine is not so powerfull like apache or mi-28.for transport chinook or ch-53 i think will be ideal

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I personally like the Apache, because it has proven technology and combat records. Also, delivery would be far faster than Russia - Russian manufacturing process is really screwed up now.

Immanuel

Country flag
the problem with Russia is the after sales service, IAF has severe problems with spares for many russian helo in our inventory. i think ah-64 block 3 and the chinook are going to win this deal.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think india should go for mi-28 because firstly there are too many strings attached to american purchases and also mi-28 is a great platform.i think it would have been best if india had gone for ka-52.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
i think we should go for both. we cant entirely depend on amreeeka. If we go for apache, who knows after 20 yrs, if our relation with ameerica is not good, they might apply ban on spares.
An excellent proposition for complicating logistics. The aim of the military should be to reduce the magnitude of logistics needed to support its weapons systems. It will therefore help if the different branches should adopt a simplified list of very effective weapons.

Adux

Country flag
Kunal,

The IAF literally hates the Mi-26

Parthy

Air Warrior
For Attack helicopter

Apache - The Brain Child

Mi28 Ne - The Muscle Boy

IMO, I'll be happy with any of the two's selection.

For heavy lift helicopter

Chinook CH 47 F - The FAT guy

Mil MI 26 - The REAL BIG Show

So, I vote for Mil MI 26 for the heavy lift rotocraft...

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
An excellent proposition for complicating logistics. The aim of the military should be to reduce the magnitude of logistics needed to support its weapons systems. It will therefore help if the different branches should adopt a simplified list of very effective weapons.
What are you talking about? Indians love complications - more complex, more we can hire bureaucrats to screw with them.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I think the high ranking BABUS of IAF drink a lot at night and wake up with depression and hangover and go out for shopping it make them feel better!!! WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED ANYTHING MORE THAN THE LCH?

I dont get the whole idea of going for an heavy attack chopper, what going to carry? Missiles made of Gold and Lead that the LCH cant carry? This is atrocious betrayal of Indegeniousation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles