Paksat-1R launch in China this week

Country flag
Paksat-1R launch in China this week | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

BEIJING (INP) - Paksat-1R, a Pakistani geostationary and an advanced communication satellite, is due to be launched in space from a Chinese satellite launching site in Xichang city in the second week of August, depending on weather conditions.
Paksat-1R will replace Paksat-1, which is going to complete its useful life this year.
"Paksat-1R is going to be a new symbolic development in Pakistan-China relations, as it will broaden the horizons of cooperation between the two countries," said Pakistan's Ambassador to China Masood Khan.
In an interview to mark the launch of Paksat-1R, the ambassador said that during Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to Pakistan in December last year, the two governments had decided to deepen cooperation in space science and technology.
"The satellite, Paksat-1R, is a big step in that direction," he said, adding, "It will revolutionise the use of broadband Internet, digital television broadcasting and mobile telephony. "It will spur our economy, strengthen the education and health sectors and help us with disaster preparedness and response."
Khan held that such cooperation with China would help Pakistan move towards self-reliance.
Tracing the history of cooperation between the two countries in the realm of space science, the ambassador said that "it goes back to the 1990s, when Pakistan launched its first low earth orbit satellite Badr-1". Since then, we had been enhancing "our cooperation" in space science and technology, he added.
"We are now looking at cooperation in remote sensing satellites. It is a long term project with many civilian uses. A remote sensing satellite will cover areas like agriculture, oceanography, disaster management and mitigation, crop monitoring, earth observation, water resources management, weather forecasting and urban planning. Such an application will have a direct positive impact on Pakistan's socio-economic development."
Expressing gratitude on behalf of the Pakistani nation to China for its support to Pakistan for developing its satellite industry, Khan said the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) had been establishing the necessary space technology infrastructure. "We are developing common technology platforms with China." In the due course of time, he added, Pakistan would want to develop its spaceflight programme.
The ambassador also said that leaders and professionals of the China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC), China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) and China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) were keen to extend full cooperation to Pakistan. "They all are so positive, forthcoming and hospitable towards Pakistan. In this atmosphere, I am sure our cooperation will move from strength to strength," Khan said.
He also said that "it is our natural aspiration that a Pakistani astronaut aboard a Chinese spacecraft flies to the space". "This is possible because Pakistan and China enjoy relations of trust and confidence," the ambassador added.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Hope this one doesn't meet the fate of the Nigerian one :D

shiphone

Country flag

anoop_mig25

Country flag
by the way who made the said satellite chinese or pakistanis because on one forum they say pakistanis did under the guidance of chinese while on other they say it is purelly developed by chinses

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
by the way who made the said satellite chinese or pakistanis because on one forum they say pakistanis did under the guidance of chinese while on other they say it is purelly developed by chinses
i was thinking on same line, plus one of the forum says launch date is 14/8, why the hell that date, suppose rocket launch failed then it will be hell of Independence day for Pakistan. Rockets are risky business.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Finally with help from China Pakistan is going to have satellite. Good work both, lets wait for launch. BTW how much you guys are charging for the launch and satellite.

Why not lease some of the transponders of Chines satellite to Pakistan ???

shiphone

Country flag
above pic is the dummy model in the Pakistan reacher facility. this is developed and made by Pakistan scientests.
two pictures of some modules of the satellite developed by Pakistan researhers .

solar energy wing

main structure

pics of satellite at different period:

latest image from the news channel.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Hope some day Pakistan would launch its own satellite using its indigenous missiles experience. They dont have to rely on China for the same.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Some fanboys at PDF must be asking "Can we spy on India with this satellite now?" :)
As a matter of fact they don't have to bother much on that. Chinese spy satellites can provide them with the intel.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
At least they will be able to beam TV channels using this satellite instead of using RADARs to capture them.!!

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Yeah but then that will renew the call to ban the Indian soaps supposedly spoiling the native Pakistani culture ( :confused: ) ; as the viewership would go up.
Why do these people watch our soaps and movies anyway? Isn't everything Indian to be hated?
Oh I'm going OT. Full stop

Rahul Singh

Country flag
On the eve (pak mauka) i take honor to share with you Pakistan's Greatest Achievement* as explained by latest prophet Gen Musharraf.

Satellite to help promote education: Musharraf launches Paksat-I.

By Our Staff Reporter (DAWN)

ISLAMABAD, Jan 25: Pakistan entered the space age with the formal launching of Paksat-I by President Gen Pervez Musharraf at an impressive ceremony here on Saturday.

The president emphasized that Paksat-I must serve as a link between Pakistan and the Muslim world to help the spread of knowledge.

"I am really delighted to note that Pakistan's space programme now is a reality and our scientists must build our own indigenous satellite within three years instead of five years," he said. The president pointed out that four educational channels will aid the government to provide free education.

The satellite hired by Pakistan was relocated at 38 degree east by the country's own space scientists. With a lifetime of five to eight years, it will mainly transmit educational programmes.

Inaugurating the satellite, the president described it as a truly historic achievement for Pakistan and Pakistanis. "This marks a tremendous achievement demonstrating the skill and technical excellence of the country's manpower."

"Pakistan's space programme is now ahead of India after the formal launching of Paksat-I and this is due to the hard work of our scientists and I am sure Indians would take another 30 months to do the job," Gen Musharraf claimed.

Referring to Pakistan's achievement in information technology and communication, the president said Internet facilities were now available in 1,000 towns and cities.

The budget for science and technology, he pointed out, had been increased by 4,000 per cent and the bandwidth rates reduced from $86,000 to $3,800 per annum. "And who does not know that there is a 50 years tax holiday for the IT sector."

The president expressed the confidence that the present government would carry on the space and communication development programme from where it was left by the previous regime.

APP adds: The president told the higher education commission and the education ministry to dovetail their efforts with the ministry of science and technology to project Pakistan beyond its borders.
* Unfortunately for pakistanis this happens to be my best stress buster ever since 10th board preparation days.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles