Pakistan's Zardari says war with Taliban being lost

7thcow

PARIS (Reuters) - Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari warned that the international community was losing the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan, according to an interview published on Tuesday.

More...

Welcome

Country flag
Pakistan's Zardari says war with Taliban being lost

Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari warned that the international community was losing the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan, according to an interview published on Tuesday.

Zardari also criticized those who cast doubt on Pakistan's commitment to fighting militants, before he visits Britain which has warned Islamabad against promoting "the export of terror".

"I believe that the international community, which Pakistan belongs to, is in the process of losing the war against the Taliban," he told Le Monde newspaper. "And that is, above all, because we have lost the battle for hearts and minds."

On the last day of a visit to France, Zardari said such fears would undermine international efforts against terrorism, adding that he would take up outspoken comments made by British Prime Minister David Cameron when they meet on Friday.

"It is unfortunate that certain individuals continue to express doubts and fears about our determination to fight militants to the end," Zardari was quoted as saying in a statement.

"Such fears will only weaken the international effort to fight militants and extremists," said the statement, issued by Zardari's office before he met France's foreign minister.

During a visit to India last week, Cameron suggested that Pakistan was not doing enough to fight terrorism prompted outrage in Islamabad, which summoned the Britain's envoy on Monday.

PAKISTANIS DISAPPOINTED

"Pakistanis were disappointed by Cameron's comments especially as he said them in India and for this reason it was even more important for the president to visit Britain to address this issue," the statement said.

Western concerns about the reliability of Islamabad's support in the conflict against the Taliban in neighboring Afghanistan have been heightened by the recent leak of classified U.S. military reports by the WikiLeaks website.

Zardari, who travels to Britain on Tuesday after the three-day visit to France, said Pakistan was taking control in the war against terrorism and that no other country had paid as big as price as his.

French officials said on Monday that President Nicolas Sarkozy was conciliatory in talks with Zardari, which did not touch on either the leaked military documents, or Cameron's comments.

Cameron told Islamabad that it must not become a base for militants and "promote the export of terror" across the globe, in remarks that caused extra hurt as he made them in Pakistan's arch-rival, India.

Protesters in Karachi burned an effigy of Cameron. Pakistan's spy chief called off a trip to Britain in protest, but Zardari did not cancel his visit.

Zardari, who will visit a family home in northern France on Tuesday, is scheduled to meet Cameron on Friday at the British prime minister's official country residence, Chequers. On Saturday he will address a rally of political supporters among Britain's million-strong Pakistani community.

SHASH2K2

Another Pakistani propaganda to instill fear among International community and extract more money from them. They are good blackmailers.They know when and where to hammer the nail.

BunBunCake

Another Pakistani propaganda to instill fear among International community and extract more money from them. They are good blackmailers.They know when and where to hammer the nail.
The Taliban from Afghan moved to Pakistan now. (and now we have Karachi under lockdown..)
So is Zardari suggesting that the US should move into Pakistan now? lol.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Zardari is speaking the truth.NATO is losing in afghanistan and running away from afghanistan like russians did.. Dutch have already left.

arya

Country flag
well the truth is you cant win afghan war without wining Pakistan

first you have to work on Pakistan terror group
because in the world Pakistan army has capability to create terror group

pak army is more strong then Pakistan govt if world want to win the fight against terror then the Pakistan army should be weak against Pakistan govt

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
well the truth is you cant win afghan war without wining Pakistan

first you have to work on Pakistan terror group
because in the world Pakistan army has capability to create terror group

pak army is more strong then Pakistan govt if world want to win the fight against terror then the Pakistan army should be weak against Pakistan govt
No truth is WOT is just a facade and USA needs Pakistan to control taliban so that it can unleash them on china and russia to destablize them.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
No truth is WOT is just a facade and USA needs Pakistan to control taliban so that it can unleash them on china and russia to destablize them.
Finally, someone who speaks the truth! :emot112:

In a recent interview, Obama was asked to compare the Vietnam War with Afghanistan War, and if the end result for both would be the same. Obama said that they were fundamentally different, because while the Viet Cong would never attack America on it's own soil, the Taliban would. I thought to myself, "what BS". The sad part is that most Americans believe this, and are completely ignorant of the geopolitical factors behind the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Americans in Afghanistan will meet the same fate as the British and Russians before them.

SHASH2K2

US dismisses Zardari's remark that war is lost in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON: The United States on Wednesday dismissed Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari's view that US-backed coalition forces are losing the war in Afghanistan, saying actions taken in the last several months were keeping in mind the hearts and minds of the Afghan people.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama, who had earlier said progress was being made in Afghanistan, would not agree with Zardari's conclusion.

"Well, I don't think the (US) President would agree with President Zardari's conclusion that the war is lost. I haven't seen the interview. I don't know why he's come to that conclusion," Gibbs told reporters.

In the interview to France-based daily newspaper 'Le Monde', Zardari had said, "the international community, of which Pakistan is a part, is losing the war against the Taliban because we have lost the battle for hearts and minds."

"Military reinforcements are only a small part of the response. To win the support of the Afghan population, you must bring economic development and prove you can not only change their lives, but improve them," Zardari had said.

Gibbs said that the actions and the efforts of the coalition forces, international and the US, taken over in the last several months "have very much the hearts and minds of the Afghan people at the forefront."

"The Afghan people know of the brutality of Taliban, just as the Pakistani people on the actions that their extremist counterparts were taking in Pakistan last year, to move on the capital of Pakistan is why the country of Pakistan started to take more direct action against safe havens," Gibbs said.

"So I think that the hearts and minds of those in Afghanistan and Pakistan are obviously a key part of our strategy, as well as the hearts and the minds of the extremists that seek to do Afghans or Pakistanis harm," he said.

State Department spokesman P J Crowley also dismissed Zardari's remarks, saying "As our military leaders have made clear, we have not yet won, but I don't think that I would characterise that we are losing."

"We are determined to work as hard as we can for as long as it takes to succeed, not just in one part of the world, but obviously, we are concerned that some of these elements are linked to global networks, and this is not just a struggle in South Asia," he said.

Gibbs also said that Pakistan "unquestionably" needed to do more to combat terrorists operating from its soil.

"If you look at the progress that we have made with Pakistan on safe havens, on confronting terrorists, I think that is a record that they and we can be proud of," he said.

"Does more have to be done? Unquestionable. "We have tough work ahead in Pakistan and in Afghanistan. And together with our partners, we'll make progress," Gibbs said.

He was asked about the questionable role of Pakistan in the war against terrorism as revealed by the release of thousands of classified documents by WikiLeaks last week.

The leaked documents suggested that Pakistan's spy agency ISI continues to play a role in supporting Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, even as the US continues to route billions of dollars in funds to Islamabad in the war against terror.

neo29

Since begging dont work now for more funds, an indirect blackmail that the war with taliban being lost. Actually meaning is "give us more funds to fight taliban".

Pakistan is sidelining some funds for themselves, some fund to taliban to continue the fight in front of US and remaining money in military aid. Pakistan will make sure this Taliban war will continue as much as possible to extract money from International community.

SHASH2K2

PHP:
Dil Bahlane ko huzoor Khayal achcha hai.....:)
I don't think that there has been a drastic change in Afghanistan or Pakistan in just a week . only change is pandora box opened by wikileaks. Now Mia Zardari is trying to fool the world again by creating a fear about loosing the war . Just a ploy to extract some more money or concession.

johnee

Zardari is speaking the truth, but there is another unspoken but well-known truth i.e....

you cant win afghan war without wining Pakistan
And you dont win Pakistan, by giving billions in Aid...

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

The United States on Wednesday dismissed Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari's view that US-backed coalition forces are losing the war in Afghanistan, saying actions taken in the last several months were keeping in mind the hearts and minds of the Afghan people.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama, who had earlier said progress was being made in Afghanistan, would not agree with Zardari's conclusion.

"Well, I don't think the (US) President would agree with President Zardari's conclusion that the war is lost. I haven't seen the interview. I don't know why he's come to that conclusion," Gibbs told reporters.

In the interview to France-based daily newspaper 'Le Monde', Zardari had said, "the international community, of which Pakistan is a part, is losing the war against the Taliban because we have lost the battle for hearts and minds."

"Military reinforcements are only a small part of the response. To win the support of the Afghan population, you must bring economic development and prove you can not only change their lives, but improve them," Zardari had said.

Gibbs said that the actions and the efforts of the coalition forces, international and the US, taken over in the last several months "have very much the hearts and minds of the Afghan people at the forefront."

"The Afghan people know of the brutality of Taliban, just as the Pakistani people on the actions that their extremist counterparts were taking in Pakistan last year, to move on the capital of Pakistan is why the country of Pakistan started to take more direct action against safe havens," Gibbs said.

"So I think that the hearts and minds of those in Afghanistan and Pakistan are obviously a key part of our strategy, as well as the hearts and the minds of the extremists that seek to do Afghans or Pakistanis harm," he said.

State Department spokesman P J Crowley also dismissed Zardari's remarks, saying "As our military leaders have made clear, we have not yet won, but I don't think that I would characterise that we are losing."

"We are determined to work as hard as we can for as long as it takes to succeed, not just in one part of the world, but obviously, we are concerned that some of these elements are linked to global networks, and this is not just a struggle in South Asia," he said.

Gibbs also said that Pakistan "unquestionably" needed to do more to combat terrorists operating from its soil.

"If you look at the progress that we have made with Pakistan on safe havens, on confronting terrorists, I think that is a record that they and we can be proud of," he said.

"Does more have to be done? Unquestionable. "We have tough work ahead in Pakistan and in Afghanistan. And together with our partners, we'll make progress," Gibbs said.

He was asked about the questionable role of Pakistan in the war against terrorism as revealed by the release of thousands of classified documents by WikiLeaks last week.

The leaked documents suggested that Pakistan's spy agency ISI continues to play a role in supporting Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, even as the US continues to route billions of dollars in funds to Islamabad in the war against terror.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles