Pakistan's GNSS to be functional by June 2013

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
ISLAMABAD, Oct 10 (APP): Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) acquired by Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), with the assistance from China,will become functional by June 2013. GNSS is a set of navigation satellites orbiting around the earth and providing geo-spatial positioning service worldwide. The system allows a small electronic receiver to determine its location using time signals transmitted from these navigation satellites

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - GNSS to be functional by June 2013

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
"providing geo-spatial positioning service worldwide"

I'm sorry, I call BS. This is just another in the series of false and miselading articles that we have been seeing recently in Paki newspapers.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
so it is Chines system and Pak is just using it,
OK got it, just like its missiles.

BTW does Pak ever launch a satellite in Geo orbit ?

p2prada

Is this something like the India-Russia tie up in using GLONASS. Maybe a China-Pak tie up in Beidou. I hardly think it is so.

GNSS is a generic term. Any name for the satellite constellation and the number of satellites?

Just wanted to point out even China won't have global coverage until 2020.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
suparco neither has the funds nor expertise at present

i guess this was the most suitable option for us

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How many pure satellites have they got in this holy constellation ? :scared2:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Is this something like the India-Russia tie up in using GLONASS. Maybe a China-Pak tie up in Beidou. I hardly think it is so.

GNSS is a generic term. Any name for the satellite constellation and the number of satellites?

Just wanted to point out even China won't have global coverage until 2020.
from the past 1 year pak and China were discussing this

Indeed it doesnt cover the whole world but it does cover the region of pak interest

and there was a thread by a Chinese guy in pdf one of there country official had confirmed that it will be global by 2016

even at present it cover kid whole Asia and upTILL some parts of Europe

p2prada

Even today Beidou is expected to finish in 2020, not in 2016, unless you can prove otherwise.

I am pretty sure the article is talking about using the Beidou and it may only be a civilian adoption of the system in your country.

A tie up may mean a ground station in Pakistan at best or a receiver in all your cars at worst. Release of military signals, impossible.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
while i doubt it will be for civilian

only for military purpose

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
well in Pakistan for civilian purpose we already use the gps and that is for free

all the recent tests de Babur and the other stuf

drkrn

ISLAMABAD, Oct 10 (APP): Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) acquired by Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), with the assistance from China,will become functional by June 2013. GNSS is a set of navigation satellites orbiting around the earth and providing geo-spatial positioning service worldwide. The system allows a small electronic receiver to determine its location using time signals transmitted from these navigation satellites

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - GNSS to be functional by June 2013
joke of the year award goes to this post:pound:

p2prada

while i doubt it will be for civilian

only for military purpose
well in Pakistan for civilian purpose we already use the gps and that is for free

The exact opposite of what you claimed. You have no JV nor did you fund the Beidou system like how we did with GLONASS. While we need to see whether your military can use this system if it is willing to make the move from GPS to Beidou, there is no doubt that China will never allow the use of military grade signals for the same. Meaning you will end up using civilian signals, the same as how we use GPS in the military. As a matter of fact even we can use the Beidou system in India.

Moot on global navigation satellite system | The Nation

The article says it was a seminar showcasing the GNSS system for civilian usage. Nothing spectacular there.

p2prada

GPS is not free. You still need to buy the GPS receiver. The signal is free.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if China can give its own version of military gps system with decoading system, it would be matte of time that this data and system will find its way into Uncle's arms and when USA-china war takes place, USA will jam the signal at will, their goes Chines war plans including AC killer missile without gps type tech to guide it.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Yes and the manufacturers who make GPS receivers has to pay for the GPS signal.
I guess that is a one-time payment that the manufacturer needs to pay?

And even that one-time payment is difficult to implement because the signal from the satellites is one-way, and if one makes a GPS device at home, there is no way one can prevent it from being used for location-pointing using the satellites in the sky.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I guess that is a one-time payment that the manufacturer needs to pay?

And even that one-time payment is difficult to implement because the signal from the satellites is one-way, and if one makes a GPS device at home, there is no way one can prevent it from being used for location-pointing using the satellites in the sky.
I think you need to pay to install certain codes to be able to receive GPS signal. And also, resolution is different for different GPS receivers. The ones used in mobiles and automobile gps unit is different in the sense of resolution.

Defcon 1

Country flag
The exact opposite of what you claimed. You have no JV nor did you fund the Beidou system like how we did with GLONASS. While we need to see whether your military can use this system if it is willing to make the move from GPS to Beidou, there is no doubt that China will never allow the use of military grade signals for the same. Meaning you will end up using civilian signals, the same as how we use GPS in the military. As a matter of fact even we can use the Beidou system in India.

Moot on global navigation satellite system | The Nation

The article says it was a seminar showcasing the GNSS system for civilian usage. Nothing spectacular there.
So, if pakistan is only getting civilian signals, why are they paying for it? They can get the same without any payment.

p2prada

So, if pakistan is only getting civilian signals, why are they paying for it? They can get the same without any payment.
The OP talks about buying a multi-billion dollar project by 2013. There was only a seminar conducted in Pakistan where civilians can be interested in taking up Beidou as an option instead of GPS.

So, people are assuming China is actually willing to share military grade signals with Pakistan...

Anyway, Pak has to pay for using Beidou anyway. Nothing in the world is free. The Beidou receiver will cost money.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles