Pakistan's enemies will be enemies of Iran: Ahmadinejad

ejazr

Ambassador
Ejaz,

Nothing is going to happen, nothing happened after the Iraq war, nothing is going to happen to after the Iran war. If anything it will be good for India. When US attacked Iraq before and even later, they were much more powerful than the Iranians. Nothing is going to happen. I see you have a particular fondness for another muslim country not being attacked since you are hell bend on not agreeing to a view point which takes force or regime change on Iran under 'any circumstances'.

Iranian regime change or ideological change ( I dont care which) to allow American supplies into Afghanistan is imperative for our afghanistan, pakistan and national strategy.
I am against US invading Iran under any circumstance (but not against a regime change). And not because it would be another Muslim country US would have invaded (although now that you mention it, that is also a very good reason and would be in US interests as well)

The main reason as I listed earlier is that for India the priorities are
(1) Focus on Afghanistan stabilization and Pakistani terrorism (both of which are Muslim countries also by the way)
(2) Prepare and tackle the challenge of a resurgent China.

A distraction towards Iran, like the distraction in Iraq would be bad for both US and Indian interests in the region when the above two priorities is what we want to focus on. The supply routes will no longer be an issue post 2014 once the bulk of the US troops withdraw and Afghans can privately continue to use the Iranian supply routes which they are already doing at present even if the US doesn't use it.

I think you are mistakenly thinking that a pro-Israel or pro-US Iran would automatically be pro-India as well. Historically, Iran under the Shah was pro-US and part of the CENTO block. Its intelligence agency along with the Turkish intelligence and MOSSAD were part of the Trident organization that was charged with tracking and de-stablising left leaning Arab nationalist regimes in the ME which were pro-India.
And the same Iranian regime provided real strategic depth to Pakistan as well as fighter jets to Pakistan in 65 and 71 wars. After the Shah of Iran was overthrown and an anti-US Iranian regime came to power, Iran became favorable to India culminating in the 1994 veto by Iran in the OIC on UNHRC resolution that would have resulted in sanctions against India on HR issues. Some details here: Revealed: Why Iran did for India and why it hurts. So the International context plays a major role in how the states behave as well and weather a regime will be favorable to us or not.

Iraq in Gulf War I was facing a coalition of 80 countries, including a large number of Arab countries and Muslim countries like Turkey. In Afghanistan, US had the backing of the entire NATO block as well as close allies like Japan, UAE and emerging ones like India. In Gulf War II, Iraq was a bankrupt country under sanction with half a million kids who died due to lack of food and medicines. Still, the US was only realistically able to gather UK and Australian support for the invasion. And with that it had to go through lots of blood and treasure to stablise it and then eventually hand it out to Iran on a platter after ending it all.

I am willing to bet that for an Iran invasion, US will have to leg it alone with possibly considerable opposition to it from the military core itself forget the domestic populace given that Mike Mullen Chief of Army staff is on record to opposing military action on Iran. Particularly given the economic crisis the EU and other countries are finding themselves in.

If you have read or heard any of the military officer core of the US speak on the decision of the Iraq invasion, the adjective disastrous is used quite regularly. Particularly now that Iraq has basically come more or less under Iranian influence after the removal of Saddam making Iran stronger in the region counter productive to what the US would have wanted. Bob Gates, former defense secretary to the President Bush and Obama basically said that the next President who orders a land invasion into another country in the Middle East or Asia needs his head examined. These are very strong and clear words on the sentiment of the US defense establishment.

As I have said in my earlier posts, yes regime change is favorable and required in Iran. Iran is one of the Muslim country in the world and even historically where a cleric is the head of state. The only other being the short lived Taliban in Afghanistan. The religious nationalist ideology that comes with is antithetical to traditional Islam and will have to be changed. I just don't see invading Iran by the US and getting bogged down there while Pakistan gets another free hand to do what it wants and China gets another decade of interference free expansion would be in the interest of India or the US. And I think no one would be foolish to suggest that just a few air strikes with bunker busters would get rid of the Iranian regime. In fact, it would only naturally strengthen the regime.

The only other way is strengthening the sanctioning regime which is already happening. At the same time, India should always try to squeeze out the maximum benefit on this deal by cutting a deal with the Americans, the GCC bloc and the Israelis on one side for cooling down Iranian ties and at the same time keep a back channel and low level ties open with Iran so that India can take the first mover advantage when necessary. And as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, we might already be seeing a India-GCC-Israel-US bloc as a counter to an emerging Iran-Pakistan-China bloc. Even though Ideally, we would like to isolate only Pakistan and possibly China and have everyone else on our side.

Again bottom line is that the most urgent Indian interests are
(1) The Af-Pak region and (2) China

And this is what should matter to the US as well. The Af-Pak region is the major breeding ground for International terrorism. US does not face any existential threat from Iran. Although yes the Arab gulf states and to a lesser extent Israel feel threatened by Iran. You may find it surprising if you view International relations in a religious context but the Arab gulf states are one of the most ardent advocates of heavy sanctions and credible military action against Iran although they prefer to be quiet about it.

But IMO, Indian interests (and US) don't coincide with Gulf Arab and Israel on this issue for now. Keep strengthening the sanctions regime on Iran and possibly a in house regime change. But use the "Western force" and firepower in the Af-Pak theatre to keep the Taliban out and Pakistan on its toes. And refocus assets into the Pacific region.

Last edited:

Tronic

trolling?or you just want to dug you head into sand watever floats your boat.But india allying with usa and above all with israel will bring indian govt in direct confrontation with its muslim population.Thats why just 2 months back iran was able to attack israeli diplomat in heart of delhi using indian sleeper cell.you cant remain in denial that indian shia population has huge soft corner for iran.and u cant brush away the facts that iranian intelligence runs its own sleeper cells like isi in india.
That's an interesting perspective you bring. I agree that Iranian intelligence runs its own sleeper cells but I disagree that majority of Indian muslim population is so socially advanced to care about India's external affairs. Maybe when India becomes a first world country with high standards of living, but until than, majority of Indians, especially majority of Indian muslims, would largely be concerned about issues such as employment, education, civil amenities, etc; issues which affect them directly. I doubt anyone cares the slightest (or is even aware much) about India's foreign policy.

You simply got lucky to be born into a middle class Indian Hyderabadi family, providing you the opportunity to connect with like-minded people to push your agenda. That you are able to today interact and choose Pakistani as your identity is also a gift and privilege provided to you by India. I can only imagine how well your "Muhajir" family would be treated in Pakistan. So enjoy it!

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
I could not find any other source for this news apart from the ones from Pureland :(
Ok .............So it might be a wet dream creation of a Pakistani mullah sitting behind a computer, feeling the power in his hand of misleading the world with a slow internet connection.
Any other source ? nation.pk is close to rupee news in quality.

As this is a pretty big statement, it should be there on PressTV, Fars News etc etc
I am surprised you people are falling head over heels for this sensational headline. Are you forgetting that this reported by a Paki news outlet (so far I have found only Pakistani sources displaying this news with this title)?

Here is what the Iranian media has to say on the matter:
Ahmadinejad says Iran is keen to cement ties with Pakistan - Tehran Times
7 pages of GAGA over this BS news. no other media has reported this news. it seems another bakistani propoganda. iran is not fool to make such absurd and foolish statement during the hour of crisis.

ejazr

Ambassador
I'm not justifying anything i'm only warning about the reality which exsists on ground with in india.How many of you have access to urdu language newspapers published from luchknow hyderabad,mumbai delhi etc in india you can see those ground realities there itself.
Can you tell me which Urdu newspaper supported Iranians attacking the Israeli diplomat in Delhi? I also regularly read Urdu newspapers and I have never come across this.

Also can you clarify what your background is so that we know from which perspective you are coming? The last I know, you were IP traced to the US so you will be most likely looking at online Urdu news sites just like me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles